Sign in to follow this  
MikeRoss2

Has anyone transferred in third year?

I am a 2L at UofT but originally from London, did my undergrad at Westen. I chose UofT because I thought I would have a better shot at Bay st. I had a bunch of infirms and zero offers. I am not seeing the "UofT benefit". Super regretting paying 35k in tuition. I want to cut my losses and transfer to western so I can live at home and save money. Has anyone transferred in third year? Was it difficult? Or should I just stick it out? 

• Sad 1

It's a bit late man, I would look into if you would be allowed to graduate a U of T or Western swapping in last year. I remember from my transfer in undergraduate there were rules about how many credits had to be done at the graduating institution and how many of them had to be towards the end of the degree.

Look into that before making any decisions. You're just feeling the hurt rn because you missed the 2L recruit, but that isn't the end of the world.

Thanks I looked into it and it seems like I'm stuck at UofT. Any future law students reading this- DONT GO TO UOFT, waste of money not worth it.

You can't "transfer" after 1st year but you can likely do a year on a letter of permission. You would still graduate as a U of T law student and pay U of T tuition, but you could live at home as preferred. Maybe look into that?

I know a few people who have done their third year at other schools on a letter of permission. 

You get your JD from the school you did 1L and 2L at (so you’ll still get a U of T JD), you just do third year at the other school. AFAIK you need to get this approved both by the school you wish to go to and by U of T. I think (but am not sure) that you pay the tuition set by the school you attend for 3L. I’ve met some people that came to U of T for 3L on a letter of permission and they paid U of T tuition. 

If I was you my next step would be to call the law school or go upstairs to student services and ask who handles this sort of thing. They’ll be able to tell you how it works. 

9 hours ago, MikeRoss2 said:

I am a 2L at UofT but originally from London, did my undergrad at Westen. I chose UofT because I thought I would have a better shot at Bay st. I had a bunch of infirms and zero offers. I am not seeing the "UofT benefit". Super regretting paying 35k in tuition. I want to cut my losses and transfer to western so I can live at home and save money. Has anyone transferred in third year? Was it difficult? Or should I just stick it out? 

Don't do it

You have to explain why you did 3rd year elsewhere for the rest of your career.  

Will you tell them the truth :

"I am not seeing the "UofT benefit". Super regretting paying 35k in tuition. I want to cut my losses and transfer to western so I can live at home and save money."

Edited by Luckycharm

That is the unfortunate truth. Without a big law job I'll probably end up making 50k after graduation which will all go to paying off my giant tuition debt. Once again kids, don't go to uoft. Don't listen to their lies. It's no better than any other law school. 

6 hours ago, MikeRoss2 said:

Once again kids, don't go to uoft. Don't listen to their lies. It's no better than any other law school. 

No better depends on your criteria. If your criteria is amenities and such it is much better located than Western. If it's avoiding polar bears...sure beats York.

7 hours ago, MikeRoss2 said:

That is the unfortunate truth. Without a big law job I'll probably end up making 50k after graduation which will all go to paying off my giant tuition debt. Once again kids, don't go to uoft. Don't listen to their lies. It's no better than any other law school. 

You are wrong again.

Many of us are without a big law job and making over $100K within 2 years after call.

There are many other opportunities besides 'big law'. Many successful lawyers didn't start out from big law.  I think you will do just fine. Changing school on your last year may complicate things.

U of T students has landed the highest percentage of big law summer and article jobs. The fact that you and about 50% of your classmates didn't get one is no fault of U of T.  

P.S. I didn't go to U of T.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MikeRoss2 said:

Would you consider that you not getting any offers was in any part your fault? I'm not saying that UofT is better than any other law school but the fact that it places the highest % of its class on Bay St. and other areas is not really up for debate. You seem to be placing much of the blame on UofT and little on yourself. 

1 hour ago, BayStreetOrBust said:

Would you consider that you not getting any offers was in any part your fault? I'm not saying that UofT is better than any other law school but the fact that it places the highest % of its class on Bay St. and other areas is not really up for debate. You seem to be placing much of the blame on UofT and little on yourself. 

It's 100% my fault. But I woulda had the same outcome if I went to Western, except I'd have an extra 20k in my pocket....

I had straight Hs in 1L and lots of volunteering. No hate on Western, but I probably could have not worked as hard there and been in the exact place I am in now.

42 minutes ago, MikeRoss2 said:

It's 100% my fault. But I woulda had the same outcome if I went to Western, except I'd have an extra 20k in my pocket....

I had straight Hs in 1L and lots of volunteering. No hate on Western, but I probably could have not worked as hard there and been in the exact place I am in now.

You seem like a pretty reasonable person based on the response. I'm not sure if its fair to advise other students to not to go to UofT based on your experience, when it was 100% your fault and the situation you are in is not an accurate reflection of the educational institution.

However I am surprised that you did not land anything with straight Hs (that puts you in around the top 30% of the class?) and lots of ECs, I'm sure you will get something in the end and I wish you the best of luck

24 minutes ago, BayStreetOrBust said:

You seem like a pretty reasonable person based on the response. I'm not sure if its fair to advise other students to not to go to UofT based on your experience, when it was 100% your fault and the situation you are in is not an accurate reflection of the educational institution.

However I am surprised that you did not land anything with straight Hs (that puts you in around the top 30% of the class?) and lots of ECs, I'm sure you will get something in the end and I wish you the best of luck

Thank you. I Had several infirms but wasn't the right "fit" whatever that means.