Sign in to follow this  
Meek19

Law school in Australia?

Just now, maximumbob said:

Also, a proper comparison is 4+ Years to get an Australian law degree and write the NCA exams vs. 6 years to get 3 years of undergrad required to get into law school (assuming your grades are up to snuff - Canadian law schools are competitive) and then get into law school.  

They run on a trimester system so it will be 3 years. But definitely. Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Meek19 said:

It’s not the schooling that bothers me, it’s the time frame. I’m a mature student and I took time off (no ones fault but mine), and I don’t want to wait that long. I don’t care where I practice law, in Australia they give you a two year working visa and a firm can sponsor you form there. I just know that I’m interested in it, and if I end up in a paralegal role because law abroad is a bad idea, I’ll just have to be okay with that. 

3 years is not much in the grand scheme of your life, unless you’re in your 70s or 80s.

Just now, providence said:

3 years is not much in the grand scheme of your life, unless you’re in your 70s or 80s.

I’d love to have the grades to only need to do three years. I haven’t checked in awhile but I’m fairly certain I’ll have to wait 4, I don’t know of anyone getting in after 3 years even with a 90% average. 

Just now, Meek19 said:

I’d love to have the grades to only need to do three years. I haven’t checked in awhile but I’m fairly certain I’ll have to wait 4, I don’t know of anyone getting in after 3 years even with a 90% average. 

Aren’t you already in first year? So three more years?

Oh sorry, I thought you were referring to getting in earlier. Yes I’m in my first year, so 3 1/2 more years. 

Okay I’ll pose a new topic: my original idea was to take my paralegal diploma, and get into a law office, finish my bachelor degree ( I can transfer directly so both will only take 4 years total) and continue on to law from there. Will my paralegal experience help me with law school? The main reason I wanted to take it is for the relevant experience, potentially having a firm to come back to after school and the upper hand attending law school. (In Canada) 

Just now, Starling said:

@kcraigsejong

He did his degree in the UK and it practicing. I know it's not the same but he's usually willing to comment on his experiences.

I’m open to the UK as well, I just just wondering in general. Thank you very much! 

It won't give you "the upper hand attending law school".  Everyone starts from square one.  Law students have such a diverse background.  If you do have something that gives you an upper hand......it's gone in the first couple of weeks.   

• Like 2

Just now, Captain Courageous said:

It won't give you "the upper hand attending law school".  Everyone starts from square one.  Law students have such a diverse background.  If you do have something that gives you an upper hand......it's gone in the first couple of weeks.   

Good to know! Was just wondering if practicing as a paralegal and knowing how to brief cases, and other duties would aid in law school or not. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Meek19 said:

I’m open to the UK as well, I just just wondering in general. Thank you very much! 

No problem! Personally, I agree with everything Hedgis said (as usual :) ).

But this is the best thread on the topic IMO.

Edited by Starling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Courageous said:

Amazing 8-9 year thread......

Haha well it was last commented in a year ago and I think it's still relevant :)

3 minutes ago, Starling said:

Haha well it was last commented in a year ago and I think it's still relevant

This is very interesting thank you! I wish he gave an update. Lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Meek19 said:

This is very interesting thank you! I wish he gave an update. Lol

Still here. 2nd year family law in suburban Vancouver. What can I do for you?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Captain Courageous said:

No diff between L.L.B  and J.D. in Canada.  I got an L.L.B.  All I had to do after grad when my law school changed to J.D. was pay a few bucks to get my degree changed to J.D.  No diff!  

Don't tell me you voluntarily turned in your LL.B. for a J.D.? *sobs*

• Like 2

It makes sense if that's what you're looking for. NCA accreditation is not impossible and if you can solidify a job, nothing will stop you. I personally think getting an Aussie/ UK LLB is a great idea. Get into the field early and practice a bit. After all, it's a professional degree. The higher tier Aussie schools also recruit well into multinational firms in places like HK/ Dubai/ Singapore etc (places that pay well).

1 hour ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

Don't tell me you voluntarily turned in your LL.B. for a J.D.? *sobs*

No, but I had the option.......a lot of people did it though....but not me.  :) 

Edited by Captain Courageous
  • Thanks 1

You have made up your mind already.

I wonder why I didn't go there to save myself a few years ago?

Bring some heavy duty fishing gear. My brother-in-law told me the fish over there are really big. 

• Like 1