cs8

4.0 cGPA 154 LSAT - Should I retake?

I am a student-athlete and I am worried I do not have the time to prepare myself to improve my score, so I am hesitant to even bother writing the December LSAT. I have taken it twice already and I was in the same position - I did not have adequate time to prepare because I am a Team Ontario athlete and a college athlete, and I simply could not prepare for the LSAT as much as I would like to. I am a good student, but I am worried that schools will view my LSAT score and disregard my application. Do I stand a chance anywhere? I have a great resume, great references and a great GPA but is my LSAT going to prevent me from getting in anywhere? 

Thanks for the help

Honestly, schedule a test for a time when you know you will have an adequate period to properly prepare. A 154 will seriously hold you back at almost every school in Canada.

23 minutes ago, cs8 said:

I am a student-athlete and I am worried I do not have the time to prepare myself to improve my score, so I am hesitant to even bother writing the December LSAT. I have taken it twice already and I was in the same position - I did not have adequate time to prepare because I am a Team Ontario athlete and a college athlete, and I simply could not prepare for the LSAT as much as I would like to. I am a good student, but I am worried that schools will view my LSAT score and disregard my application. Do I stand a chance anywhere? I have a great resume, great references and a great GPA but is my LSAT going to prevent me from getting in anywhere? 

Thanks for the help

Make the time to appropriately prepare and rewrite. 

Just now, Luckycharm said:

is that really 4.0 / 4.0 ?

Yes, I have straight A's. 

4 minutes ago, cs8 said:

Yes, I have straight A's. 

In for Alberta with L2 4.0 / 4.0 and LSAT 154 (if this is your average score).

It's extremely impressive that you managed a 4.0 while being a full time athlete. Seriously, well done. I can't be certain, but I'm as certain as I can ever be about someone with a 154 that you can get in somewhere.

Now, the question is: is anywhere okay for You? All Canadian schools give you a great education, so it's not like you're jeopardizing your future by going just anywhere. But if you could get into a specific school for the educational program, specific opportunities, location, etc would you like to? I ask because you're about as close to a "star" as it gets to law school admissions as one can reasonably get.. save for your lsat. if it really was not having enough time that was an issue, and you can find a 4 month block where you can make the time, and the answer to the above question is yes, I would wait out this cycle depending on where you do get in.

I wouldn't write in December or February if you still won't have enough time. If the issue to a higher lsat score won't be resolved, chances are - you won't get a higher lsat score.

Edited by pzabbythesecond

Just now, pzabbythesecond said:

It's extremely impressive that you managed a 4.0 while being a full time athlete. Seriously, well done. I can't be certain, but I'm as certain as I can ever be about someone with a 154 that you can get in somewhere.

Now, the question is: is anywhere okay for You? All Canadian schools give you a great education, so it's not like you're jeopardizing your future by going just anywhere. But if you could get into a specific school for the educational program, specific opportunities, location, etc would you like to? I ask because you're about as close to a "star" as it gets to law school admissions as one can reasonably get.. save for your lsat. if it really was not having enough time that was an issue, and you can find a 4 month block where you can make the time, and the answer to the above question is yes, I would wait out this cycle depending on where you do get in.

I wouldn't write in December or February if you still won't have enough time. If the issue to a higher lsat score won't be resolved, chances are - you won't get a higher lsat score.

Thank you, I appreciate the help. My number one choice is Windsor - I am very interested in the social justice focus of the program. I am optimistic that I might be a favourable candidate for Windsor because of the holistic admission process, but I do not want to hold my breath.  I also applied to Windsor/Detroit Dual. Although the extreme cost is a huge downfall, I would love this program as I am currently studying in the U.S and I would enjoy the versatility of both degrees. Other than that, I applied to Osgoode, Queen's and Western hoping that my GPA and extracurriculars would maybe give me a chance. 

I would recommend against the Windsor dual. Whatever advantages it gives you isn't worth the astronomical tuition fees. If your choice in June is accepting the dual program or rewriting, I hope your decision is clear to you.

Bear in mind Ontario grads qualify to write 4 US bars, including NY state.

You may get into Windsor with the 154. It's a bit of a black box. I'm not familiar with how they've actually focussed their program on "social justice" but many programs have either done the same or have plenty of opportunities allowing you to focus your education around that. Not to say Windsor isn't a good school. But don't fall for thinking no other school is "social justic-y" enough relative to Windsor until you ground that analysis on opportunities they offer, their course offerings in upper years, etc etc.

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Like 1

Maybe UofA or UofC.  I cannot remember which one, maybe you can apply both.  If I don't remember wrong, you might have a chance for UofC  or one of those schools.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u9luOkViBOYVM2bWFMcmJNcUpOZVBZY0lsTVpyOGRIaGFR/view

http://www.julianhermida.com/algoma/lawschoolstudyadmissionscharts.htm

UofM , 1/3 chances

http://law.robsonhall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/web-stats-201690.pdf

Unb, maybe slightly more than half of chances, it's average score is 3.7, and 157 for last cycle

Just push to write a really good ps statements and upsides, strength of you correlated to law, and

a few lines why lsat is affected but not  reveal you true potentials. Get substantially good reference letter.

Edited by akulamasusu
  • Like 1

Take the time to rewrite. A marginally better score will get you into many more schools with your GPA. 

I agree if you have the time to focus on the LSAT do so! your GPA is stellar and a better LSAT will open up many doors. Even if you are only able to fo up a few points too.

That said you will likely get in somewhere with that combo but it seems to me you are leaving points on the table. One more question how are your practice test and how are you studying ?

Edited by serdog

UOttawa loves cGPA so they will take you. Other than that, increase your LSAT (160+) and I can virtually guarantee you that you are in at every school in Canada.