Sign in to follow this  
rebeccius

OLSAS School Submission Questions

Hi all,

Currently working on the required school submission material on OLSAS. I'm unsure about the following (question two):

"If you have been involved in community engagement and/or extracurricular activities (such as community service, political, religious, social, or athletic, etc.) which of these experiences has been the most important to you."

The wording ("if) of this question leads me to believe that it's "optional" (also, it's difficult to answer this question if one doesn't actually have significant community engagement experience, as is my case). However, there are 5 questions in total for Windsor, and only question number 5 is explicitly "optional."  Will OLSAS accept the application as complete if leave this question unanswered?  

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t leave any questions unanswered. The reality is that you have some sort of extracurricular experience. 

By virtue of the very limited answer space, these questions provide admissions committees with a narrow understanding of our ‘soft’ qualifications to study law. Not answering a question would only serve to further narrow that understanding. In this sense, I can’t imagine a scenario where leaving a required question blank would be a boon to your application. 

Use the space! Good luck this cycle! 

It definitely doesn't feel right leaving empty space.  I guess I'm having trouble addressing the question from what I understand extracurricular to mean in the context of my application. I'm 35 years old, and finished my undergrad nearly 14 years ago... therefore have extensive non-academic experience (work, professional accomplishments, travel, etc.) - however the other questions pretty much cover this stuff already.   

I'll take a stab at it anyway.  Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rebeccius said:

It definitely doesn't feel right leaving empty space.  I guess I'm having trouble addressing the question from what I understand extracurricular to mean in the context of my application. I'm 35 years old, and finished my undergrad nearly 14 years ago... therefore have extensive non-academic experience (work, professional accomplishments, travel, etc.) - however the other questions pretty much cover this stuff already.   

I'll take a stab at it anyway.  Thanks for the advice!

I hear you! I’m an above-average age applicant as well. For this question, I chose to focus on one specific activity - like recreational ice hockey. The other questions barely allowed enough space to describe my extracirriculars in a list haha.

All the best!

1 hour ago, HP7 said:

I hear you! I’m an above-average age applicant as well. For this question, I chose to focus on one specific activity - like recreational ice hockey. The other questions barely allowed enough space to describe my extracirriculars in a list haha.

All the best!

Edited by HP7

I'm probably an idiot for asking this question, but for question two, it asks "...which of these experiences has been most important to you."

Are they only looking for description of one, or if I write about two experiences will that be okay as well?

3 hours ago, PhiladelphiaCollins said:

I'm probably an idiot for asking this question, but for question two, it asks "...which of these experiences has been most important to you."

Are they only looking for description of one, or if I write about two experiences will that be okay as well?

Keep in mind, you only have 1800 characters. You'd have to be extremely brief in talking about each one for this to work. I suppose you could, if you wanted to. I doubt they would hold it against you. My only worry is that you'd be missing out on so much by trying to describe each one. 

Just now, LegalArmada said:

Keep in mind, you only have 1800 characters. You'd have to be extremely brief in talking about each one for this to work. I suppose you could, if you wanted to. I doubt they would hold it against you. My only worry is that you'd be missing out on so much by trying to describe each one. 

Yeah, I figured as much, just didn't want to take too narrow of a view! Thanks though.

20 hours ago, PhiladelphiaCollins said:

I wrote about 2 experiences! And added a line about my volunteer experience in the Windsor community specifically. 

1800 characters is a challenge but it can be done.

:)