Sign in to follow this  
lawlawland0123

In-Firm Interview Schedule

What is an ideal number of in firm interviews to take? Moreover, what is the ideal schedule to have? I have heard myths about certain time slots meaning certain things, and a variety of mixed opinions about whether to schedule 4 or 5 on Monday. 

Full disclosure: I have been fortunate to solidify 9 ITCs so far. I realize I cannot take them all, but do not know how many I should be taking. 

That may help. I'm also in a similar situation and I've decided on 4 or 5 because I want to be in a position to be able to come back for follow ups, lunches etc. Its even more confusing because of the fact that many firms have dinners as well and you can only do two dinners during the process.

As noted if a firm is sufficiently interested they may occupy a good deal of your time net of interviews. Strikes me that 5 is about right as a maximum. Heard of people doing more but as I recall they had some regrets.

Realistically, you can't do more than 4 on the monday, and at most 2 on Tuesday morning. 5 is the usual max. I don't think it's possible to do more, and the reality is that OCI week is a slog. When I did it,I found my Tuesday morning interview was basically a write-off, because I was gassed from the day before - wasn't my first choice anyhow. 

3 hours ago, lawlawland0123 said:

What is an ideal number of in firm interviews to take? Moreover, what is the ideal schedule to have? I have heard myths about certain time slots meaning certain things, and a variety of mixed opinions about whether to schedule 4 or 5 on Monday. 

Full disclosure: I have been fortunate to solidify 9 ITCs so far. I realize I cannot take them all, but do not know how many I should be taking. 

In terms of time slots, it means nothing, they fit you in when they can fit you. If you ask for Tuesday, that's a slight negative (as it tells them you've got 4 other options) and I've heard some firms no longer do Tuesday interviews. But the reality is, if they interview you, they're interested.  

I'd also echo taking 4 on Monday and put a "back-up" firm on Tuesday morning, if possible. Seems pointless to juggle more than 5. However, this is assuming they are private firms. I've heard government isn't as demanding of your time so you can potentially have more options there.

56 minutes ago, BarristerSelmy said:

If a firm is hosting a reception on Monday night, is it ill-advised to schedule a first-interview with them on Tuesday morning?

I'd try not to, but you do what you can.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarristerSelmy said:

If a firm is hosting a reception on Monday night, is it ill-advised to schedule a first-interview with them on Tuesday morning?

It's hard to get beyond the notion that everything you do is a signal to the firms in some way, but you have no choice but to navigate the options available to you. More importantly than whether it looks bad is remembering to juggle your schedule according to your preferences. If this is your fifth-ranked firm, then who cares if it looks bad? Put them on Tuesday. And remember, whatever strategy you have will be decimated on the fly anyway by whatever happens the morning  calls flood in (if they do, and if they don't your decision is easy).  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BarristerSelmy said:

It can lead to some awkwardness, and require you to work a bit harder, but it isn't necessarily ill-advised. Scheduling is only within your control to a certain extent, and firms generally know that.

Think of how this will play out, practically. People who interview on Monday will show up at the reception on Monday night, already having met with a couple of lawyers and possibly students, so they have a place to start - people they can say hello to when they arrive, and use as a jumping off point to get to conversations with other lawyers. Lawyers who interviewed that day might already have a couple of favourites that they want to shepherd around to meet others. If you haven't had your interview yet, you're still an unknown quantity and you'll have to work harder to make the reception time count.

That being said, it can be done. Recently, someone who interviewed at my firm for articling showed up at the reception when their first interview wasn't until the following day, made it a point to seek out their interviewers to introduce themselves, made a great impression on people, then rocked their interview the next day, got a second interview and ultimately received an offer.

• Like 1

I personally think 5 should be the max you take. I narrowed down 14 ITCs to 6 in-firms, and found it was at least 1 too many. As everyone has said, you really want to give yourself all of Tuesday to go back to the firms you're interested in. 

What do people advise regarding taking two firms that host overlapping receptions? Running between them seems crazy (albeit not impossible) -  is not attending one something that can be done without permanently damaging your chances? Should you only take one? 

Additional question: if you have to put a firm on Tuesday, is it generally advisable to schedule government jobs first for Tuesday? (Less likely to be offended?)

I would recommend 4 in firms. I had 10 ITCs and took 5 in firms. I think my life would have been a little less stressful if I had taken 4. The 5th firm ended up being a right off for me. I didn't get invited back for a second interview. 

With respect to doing more than one reception in one night. If you're going to do this, I would recommend putting in sufficient time at each reception. I spent about 20 minutes at one reception because I had to run to an early dinner with another firm. I'm pretty sure this is what got me officially cut. I saw the recruiter on my way out. She was like, "you're leaving already?!"

With not attending a reception. I've heard rumours that recruiters take all of the name tags of the people that don't show up to the reception (i.e. the ones still sitting on the table) and eliminates them from the candidate pool. This was sort of the reason I tried half-heartedly to attend the overlapping reception. 

• Thanks 1

If the locations are reasonably proximate attend both. No need to be hanging around either from start to finish. 

Yup. Def attend both if they are near by. Make use of your time there. Work the room. Introduce yourself to members of the student committee. You don’t need to be there for the entire time. If a reception is 5:30-7:00 you can spent 30ish mins at each with travel time 

Aren't pretty much all the OCI firms within walking distance and nearby? I can't imagine two firms being further than a brisk-ish 20 minute walk away from each other given the financial district's geography...

45 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Aren't pretty much all the OCI firms within walking distance and nearby? I can't imagine two firms being further than a brisk-ish 20 minute walk away from each other given the financial district's geography...

Depends on whether or not you take the PATH (don't).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rearden said:

Depends on whether or not you take the PATH (don't).

Exactly. Even if it's raining, in which case get the firms to pay for your cabs between receptions; the two firms you travel between can haggle over who pays more of it.

7 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Exactly. Even if it's raining, in which case get the firms to pay for your cabs between receptions; the two firms you travel between can haggle over who pays more of it.

...can’t tell if you’re serious about this. If so, I can tell you asking someone at my firm to pay for your cab would give us a good chuckle, and an even quicker trip to the garbage bin with your application. Plan ahead. Bring an umbrella and an overcoat.

Edited by Blurg
Typing is hard.
  • Like 1