Sign in to follow this  
saskgirl03

Working during 1L

I was wondering if anyone has worked part time during the first year, and if so, did you find it difficult? I don't know what to expect for a time commitment for school (I'm sure it will be quite a bit of work and reading) but am unsure about volunteer requirements, clubs, other events etc. Just curious if anyone has done it and struggled, or has done it and didn't find it problematic? If you did work, how many hours a week did you work? Any info you have is appreciated, even if you didn't work but can comment on the workload. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

There was the above thread on this a few weeks back on the Windsor board. I was interested because I wondered the same thing. I think generally, it appears as though working during 1L is do-able, but (as you note) it becomes a personal time-management issue. The most salient advice that I noted on that thread was (assuming it's financially possible) to wait at least until second semester 1L. Now sure, there are possible issues with that (such as potentially leaving Saskatoon in the summer--I'm unsure if an employer would want to hire someone for 4 months of part-time work). That said, it seems--based on the advice of people who have experienced law school before--best to take the time to find out how much time you have, and how you deal with the commitments and rigours of 1L, before you lock yourself into a position.

Okay there are three factors to consider here:

1. Are you an insane person?

If the answer to that question is yes, you might find that you spend 3+ hours a day at school in the library reading and updating CANs, writing case briefs, and doing optional readings.This will quickly eat into your time available to work.

2. Can you read quickly?

Some times you will have to read 300-400 pages of text in a week, it's not common, but it happens. If you can't read that in less than 15 hours you're probably not going to have enough time between in-class time and time spent getting to and from school and work to finish all your reading.

3. Will it be worth it to work?

That's a personal question and one which I don't have an answer to.Try asking yourself some of the following questions:

-Is it worth missing out on school events, socializing, and generally enjoying your life in exchange for maybe $15 per hour?

-Are you going to be working 10 hours per week and making a total of $4,800 over the entire school year or are you putting in 30 hours per week and making $1800 a month? (your tuition is $13k per year)

- Will your work accommodate your school schedule? You're going to be starting at 8:30 AM every day during the year except for the odd day when you have a tutorial that starts at 9:30

I would not have worked during first year but I am working during second year, since I can manage my schedule a little more and piggyback my classes all into two days and work two days a week at the firm. Aside from that I would hate to have to go to school early every day, come home and read for two hours, and then hop off to work for 4 hours only to get a $500 pay cheque every two weeks.

• Like 1

On 2017-08-03 at 8:32 AM, piscerainfada said:

There was the above thread on this a few weeks back on the Windsor board. I was interested because I wondered the same thing. I think generally, it appears as though working during 1L is do-able, but (as you note) it becomes a personal time-management issue. The most salient advice that I noted on that thread was (assuming it's financially possible) to wait at least until second semester 1L. Now sure, there are possible issues with that (such as potentially leaving Saskatoon in the summer--I'm unsure if an employer would want to hire someone for 4 months of part-time work). That said, it seems--based on the advice of people who have experienced law school before--best to take the time to find out how much time you have, and how you deal with the commitments and rigours of 1L, before you lock yourself into a position.

On 2017-08-03 at 8:57 AM, celli660 said:

Okay there are three factors to consider here:

If the answer to that question is yes, you might find that you spend 3+ hours a day at school in the library reading and updating CANs, writing case briefs, and doing optional readings.This will quickly eat into your time available to work.

2. Can you read quickly?

Some times you will have to read 300-400 pages of text in a week, it's not common, but it happens. If you can't read that in less than 15 hours you're probably not going to have enough time between in-class time and time spent getting to and from school and work to finish all your reading.

3. Will it be worth it to work?

That's a personal question and one which I don't have an answer to.Try asking yourself some of the following questions:

-Is it worth missing out on school events, socializing, and generally enjoying your life in exchange for maybe $15 per hour?

-Are you going to be working 10 hours per week and making a total of $4,800 over the entire school year or are you putting in 30 hours per week and making $1800 a month? (your tuition is $13k per year)

- Will your work accommodate your school schedule? You're going to be starting at 8:30 AM every day during the year except for the odd day when you have a tutorial that starts at 9:30

I would not have worked during first year but I am working during second year, since I can manage my schedule a little more and piggyback my classes all into two days and work two days a week at the firm. Aside from that I would hate to have to go to school early every day, come home and read for two hours, and then hop off to work for 4 hours only to get a $500 pay cheque every two weeks.

Thanks so much for the info!! 

While I worked during undergrad, I definitely didn't want to work while in law school and this information certainly reinforces that.

On 8/3/2017 at 9:57 AM, celli660 said:

Would spending 3 hr/day really constitute being insane in a law school environment? I'm genuinely curious since I have no experience to compare with that characterization. I'm assuming most schools, at least the one I'm going to, run ~7 courses per semester (at least 5 with letter grades) in 1L which would mean what you describe is between 2-3 hours/week per class. To me that doesn't sound too bad but I should point out that I was a terrible student in undergrad and I'm aiming to do a 180 on the ol' work ethic grind. 

Sorry, I meant that 3+ hours was in addition to your normal readings. I budgeted about 15 hours a week for reading in my plan above. So if you're spending an additional 15 hours per week at the school above and beyond your normal reading, then I think you're probably over doing it.

Edited by celli660
am dumb