Sign in to follow this  
applyingnow

Tuition Fees

Hey guys, so I chose my small group course and they have yet to update my block timetable so that I am enrolled in everything else. However, in the meantime they updated my financial statement, and just my small group course is costing 5,868, is that the norm? Are each of the 8 courses close to 6,000. I was under the impression that the entirety of our fees for one year are $16,061. 

Where did the $16,061 value come from?

Here's a link where you can see your tuition fees. I filled everything in for someone entering first year in Fall, 2017, and between both semesters the sum is $19,354.91. Most people can factor in a $2000 bursary if you qualify for provincial student loans, so $17,354.91 (I'm a math whiz).

This reflects a 5% hike in tuition.

Before you freak out, as a comparison Osgoode Hall went up 10% this year.

And remember that it's not really eight courses. It's more like eleven courses - contracts, crim, con/public law and torts are all two semesters. Each one is five credits, except your small group, which will be weighted slightly heavier at 6 credits. ADR, your thematic and property are all three credits, which is the same as most upper year one-semester classes. Then legal research is one credit. Which is weird though, because arguable it's one of the most important skills you can bring to an interview. So in total, it's like 11 and 2/3's courses. Which means $1,488.42 per credit (that's $17,354.91/11.6666666).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FunnyLawName said:

Most people can factor in a $2000 bursary if you qualify for provincial student loans, so $17,354.91 (I'm a math whiz).

In addition to this, a portion of student loans come in the form of grants (which you don't pay back). You can get around $2000-3000 this way.

Got to love UofO's bureaucracy! They charged me $24K for the fall semester at the international student rate when I am not an international student. Trying to get them to rectify this. 

Check your invoice with the amplifying glass. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FunnyLawName said:

Where did the $16,061 value come from?

Here's a link where you can see your tuition fees. I filled everything in for someone entering first year in Fall, 2017, and between both semesters the sum is $19,354.91. Most people can factor in a $2000 bursary if you qualify for provincial student loans, so $17,354.91 (I'm a math whiz).

This reflects a 5% hike in tuition.

Before you freak out, as a comparison Osgoode Hall went up 10% this year.

And remember that it's not really eight courses. It's more like eleven courses - contracts, crim, con/public law and torts are all two semesters. Each one is five credits, except your small group, which will be weighted slightly heavier at 6 credits. ADR, your thematic and property are all three credits, which is the same as most upper year one-semester classes. Then legal research is one credit. Which is weird though, because arguable it's one of the most important skills you can bring to an interview. So in total, it's like 11 and 2/3's courses. Which means $1,488.42 per credit (that's $17,354.91/11.6666666).

Ok thank you so much, was panicking a little bit about it. I got the 16,061 from a Macleans article for different school tuition's. 

Have you guys had the $2,000 from uOttawa taken off your statement? I'm referring to the portion they give you if you qualify/claim government assistance.

My current balance is $17,259.89 (I received a $2,000 scholarship). I applied to OSAP and was given about 10k (2k grant, 8k loan). I opted out of the loan portion and just received the grant. Do I need to call uOttawa to add the additional bursary to my statement, or does OSAP handle that? Also, since I rejected the loan and only accepted the grant, does this exclude me from the bursary? Technically, I still did qualify and claim assistance (grant = assistance).

4 hours ago, lawlawland123 said:

Have you guys had the $2,000 from uOttawa taken off your statement? I'm referring to the portion they give you if you qualify/claim government assistance.

My current balance is $17,259.89 (I received a $2,000 scholarship). I applied to OSAP and was given about 10k (2k grant, 8k loan). I opted out of the loan portion and just received the grant. Do I need to call uOttawa to add the additional bursary to my statement, or does OSAP handle that? Also, since I rejected the loan and only accepted the grant, does this exclude me from the bursary? Technically, I still did qualify and claim assistance (grant = assistance).

"The Education Bursary is credited to the student's account in two installments within four weeks of government financial aid being disbursed."

I don't know if you qualify since you didn't take the loan.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Girby said:

"The Education Bursary is credited to the student's account in two installments within four weeks of government financial aid being disbursed."

I don't know if you qualify since you didn't take the loan.

Thanks Girby.

Update: Called the financial aid office at uOttawa. They said as long as you claim some form of assistance from OSAP (whether that be just the grant, just the loan, or both), you would qualify for the uOttawa Education Bursary.

The four week timing seems to be awkward. So I guess you first have to pay full amount our of your pocket by Aug 23rd and then the amount will apply to the next semester. The mechanics seems to be funky here. Why don't they just subtract these 2K right away?

I have seen at least 3 reports so far on Facebook groups about domestic students being charged the international rate ($50K). Needless to say, all reported shock and anguish. I personally felt mildly sick when I saw this on my account. 

I reported this issue and was asked to submit a copy of my passport as a proof of Canadian citizenship. I did and still waiting for the issue to be solved. This is either basic staff carelessness or some sort of a system glitch. So far, the errors I have experienced with registration and fees keep mounting and mighty undermine my faith in UofO's administration. It feels like you always have to check everything they do. They keep saying the final statements will be available at the end of July but why show wrong numbers in the first place?! Why add stress and uncertainty to the already stressful law school application and registration process? Simple, don't show the numbers until they are final. 

Check your account, I doubt this will be solved unless reported. Remember, systems and institutions are slow to change unless they are steadily pushed to do so. I see this as a basic injustice - something we, as future lawyers, have duty to address. 

Edited by alberno

23 hours ago, alberno said:

The four week timing seems to be awkward. So I guess you first have to pay full amount our of your pocket by Aug 23rd and then the amount will apply to the next semester. The mechanics seems to be funky here. Why don't they just subtract these 2K right away?

You won't have to pay by Aug 23rd, at least for the previous years, if you qualify for financial aid you automatically get an extension to pay your first semester tuition by 3rdweek or end of September. You should see a $1K credit for the education bursary around the time of getting OSAP, before fall tuition is due.

Then you get another $1K credited in Jan for your winter semester, and another 3 week automatic extension to pay your winter tuition.

The extension ensures you received your OSAP and the bursary before having to pay.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2