Sign in to follow this  
alberno

UofO's WiFi

Hi, current law students!

How good is the WiFi connection at Fauteux? Is it free? How is the speed and connection quality? Any security issues with so many people using it?

I have never been there before so would be interesting to know more about the logistics? How busy is the library? Are the common areas crowded and what are the good spots for study and quiet time? How about the gym? 

How about food costs and locations? Any other info that could help a new student.

Thank you! 

The wifi is fine and you can sign in using you uozone login. Is it free? It's probably paid for in your tuition.

There are two gyms, one in the sports complex and one in morriset building. I prefer the one at the sports complex. 

• Like 1

I went to uOttawa for undergrad. The wifi is Eduroam (the wifi network across lots of schools in Canada) so it is your uOzone login, and will actually automatically connect if you attend another school who runs Eduroam. It can get patchy, you can't torrent or do huge downloads, but for the most part I've never had any problems, and I've had classes in FTX.

The main campus library gets extremely busy around midterms/exams, however the law library is a great place to study and I actually find it easier to find a spot. With so many students any common area is usually really busy, most buildings have some sort of tables/chairs set up in part of the building, but those are always busy.

As mentioned above, there's two gyms, Sports Complex being the nicer one. Both are pretty outdated and I find rather small for the amount of people who use them. During peak times you actually have to sign up for a time slot on some cardio machines.

The food on campus sucks. A couple small cafes & Starbucks/Second Cup/Tims where you can maybe grab an overpriced sandwich, and the line ups are always ridiculous. Food Services Website for more info if you want. The cafeteria was recently transformed into an all-you-can-eat buffet area, and is exactly what you'd expect of a place like that. If you plan on studying the entire day and want to have constant food it can be a nice place to camp out. Can find info on prices/menu here. Otherwise, being in the downtown core means there's lots of places within a ~10-15 min walking distance, including the Rideau Mall which has a huge food court. There's a Subway, Freshii and Shawarma place within 200m of campus perimeters.

• Like 1