Sign in to follow this  
sucheese

Courses after Undergraduate Degree Conferred

Do Ontario law schools count courses taken after you have graduated from your undergraduate degree? I graduated a few weeks back and was rejected to all of the schools that I applied to. If I take a few courses this upcoming year will they count towards my CGPA and L2 or is that locked in since I graduated. For reference I have a 3.44 cGPA and a 3.7 L2. 

Thanks

Those aren't terrible numbers. What was your LSAT? Since you've graduated you've obviously got a lot of courses under your belt. Any extra, even if you get A+s would barely make a dent in your CGPA. Furthermore, you've stated that you want to take "a few courses". That wouldn't affect your L2 since by a few, I assume you mean not 30 credits worth. It would be wiser to focus on raising your LSAT score. 

Your cGPA and L2 are almost identical to mine. I considered taking additional courses to boost my GPA as well, but I have to agree with the advice above; it will be a much better use of your time to focus on raising your LSAT.

• Like 1

It seems like everyone agrees that you should be fine, but I wish someone could answer the question of its counted or not for you........I know the LSAC in the US tends not to.

26 minutes ago, 0joe said:

It seems like everyone agrees that you should be fine, but I wish someone could answer the question of its counted or not for you........I know the LSAC in the US tends not to.

Many (most?) will count courses taken after your first degree. If you're taking random courses post-grad in order to boost your GPA, I think you'll be able to count one year as a special student - not too sure about taking random courses to boost your GPA. If you're taking a second degree, many schools will consider your grades, including the following (there's probably more, but these are the ones I contacted personally and somewhat remember the details for): 

UofAlberta (last 2 years/60 credits)

UofCalgary (last 2 years/60 credits, holistic review)

UofSaskatchewan (best 2 years)

Western (cGPA with a focus on last 2 years)

Dalhousie (cGPA or last 2, whichever is higher)

Manitoba (drop a certain %, I think 25% of your lowest grades, so ALL courses from any amount of degrees will be included)

Windsor (holistic, who the hell really knows how they evaluate applicants?)

UNB (drop a certain % of courses, can't remember how many)

--------

For the L2 schools, you can literally take a second degree and with enough credits, remove the first degree grades from consideration when your application is being reviewed. Western still cares about cGPA, but many students get in with sub 3.0 cGPA's and a strong L2/LSAT combo. 

Sask (best 2) doesn't care how many degrees you have or if you even finished one at all, they care for best 2 years of courses (24 credits per year minimum)

For the schools that drop a % of courses, they will include all courses you've ever taken and just use their formula to drop the lowest and assign you an adjusted GPA. 

Holistic schools are a toss up, but I assume an upward trend in courses taken after your first degree will only help your application. 

Edited by GameTime180

4 minutes ago, GameTime180 said:

Many (most?) will count courses taken after your first degree. If you're taking random courses post-grad in order to boost your GPA, I think you'll be able to count one year as a special student - not too sure about taking random courses to boost your GPA. If you're taking a second degree, many schools will consider your grades, including the following (there's probably more, but these are the ones I contacted personally and remember the details for): 

UofAlberta (last 2 years/60 credits)

UofCalgary (last 2 years/60 credits, holistic review)

UofSaskatchewan (best 2 years)

Western (cGPA with a focus on last 2 years)

Dalhousie (cGPA or last 2, whichever is higher)

Manitoba (drop a certain %, I think 25% of your lowest grades, so ALL courses from any amount of degrees will be included)

Windsor (holistic, who the hell really knows how they evaluate applicants?)

UNB (drop a certain % of courses, can't remember how many)

--------

For the L2 schools, you can literally take a second degree and with enough credits, remove the first degree grades from consideration when your application is being reviewed. 

Sask (best 2) doesn't care how many degrees you have or if you even finished one at all, they care for best 2 years of courses (24 credits per year minimum)

For the schools that drop a % of courses, they will include all courses you've ever taken and just use their formula to drop the lowest and assign you an adjusted GPA. 

Holistic schools are a toss up, but I assume an upward trend in courses taken after your first degree will only help your application. 

Canada schools are nicer about it then, most US ones just rely on LSAC and LSAC (for whatever random reason) wont count it post graduation from undergrad. I knew a guy who held up graduating JUST to raise it pre graduation (ended up with a double degree he didn't even need-albeit a blowoff elective 2nd degree,but still)

4 minutes ago, 0joe said:

Canada schools are nicer about it then, most US ones just rely on LSAC and LSAC (for whatever random reason) wont count it post graduation from undergrad. I knew a guy who held up graduating JUST to raise it pre graduation (ended up with a double degree he didn't even need-albeit a blowoff elective 2nd degree,but still)

Yeah, from what I know about U.S. law school admissions, once you've finished your first undergrad, it's locked in. You have to strengthen your application in other ways to be competitive for programs you're otherwise not competitive for. The U.S. also puts way more emphasis on the LSAT, so low GPA applicants have the opportunity to crush the LSAT and make it into great schools. You'd know more about this than I do. 

Edited by GameTime180
  • Like 1

As most people have noted, it is easiest to improve your LSAT. As you are planning to re write in September it seems that you realize this as well. As to raising you gpa, even if you can significantly raise your gpa by taking a second degree, if you do not improve your LSAT there is no guarantee the increased gpa will help. So if you do not increase your LSAT this September, it is important to understand that the time and money spent on improving your grades may go to waste.

However, you l2 is good and your cgpa is not awful. If you can improve that LSAT you will be a competitive applicant. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Yea improving my LSAT score is my main goal right now. Only issue I am having is with logic games. I end up panicking sometimes only during that section which screws me up. I usually get 18-22 in the LR and RC sections and this is the only section that is ruining me right now. 

2 hours ago, sucheese said:

Yea improving my LSAT score is my main goal right now. Only issue I am having is with logic games. I end up panicking sometimes only during that section which screws me up. I usually get 18-22 in the LR and RC sections and this is the only section that is ruining me right now. 

Don't aim to finish the section. You don't need to answer every question to get a 160+. Accuracy is more important than speed, in this case.

• Like 1