Sign in to follow this  
raptors295

Worth going to law school in US if I have guaranteed Canadian employment & articling?

1 hour ago, conge said:

OP: I think you've gotten everything useful that is going to come out of this thread. Mods ought to lock it down; it's just becoming a forum for exchanging snide remarks...

I propose we leave off the personal attacks and instead focus on what's important here: making raptor puns! 

For example, I really do think the OP could do well applying his many talons to the field of law.

(As an aside, I agree with artsydork and others who say it's a good idea to go to Canadian school to practice crim. That's an area where you're going to encounter a lot of significant jurisdictional differences if you go to school in another country.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, omph said:

I propose we leave off the personal attacks and instead focus on what's important here: making raptor puns! 

For example, I really do think the OP could do well applying his many talons to the field of law.

(As an aside, I agree with artsydork and others who say it's a good idea to go to Canadian school to practice crim. That's an area where you're going to encounter a lot of significant jurisdictional differences if you go to school in another country.)

Agreed; please proceed.

1 minute ago, conge said:

Agreed; please proceed.

I'm glad you reacted with approval, instead of writing me off as a wingnut.

To be fair, questions asked in good faith often tends to attract snide comments on these forums. This leads to defensiveness on the part of the asker, who put him/her/themself out there, and they usually make some acerbic comment or other which draws them more scorn.

Then we all argue for a few pages about identity/privilege (with a few people trying to inject some levity -thank you Omph- or re-rail the conversation) and the thread either peters out or gets mean enough to be locked. 

I mean, I think Raptors understands all of our positions at this point (mine is to shoot for Canada to avoid pidgeonholing yourself too early and losing the freedom and enjoyment of exploring law, and save $$). So I agree with Omph that we should talk about dinosaurs in instead. 

I reeeeeaaally hate the Jurassic World 'let's just turn raptors into trainable dogs' plotline. Totally ruined the best dinos. That kitchen scene from the original movie still gives me chills 20+ years on.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, kiamia said:

I mean, I think Raptors understands all of our positions at this point (mine is to shoot for Canada to avoid pidgeonholing yourself too early and losing the freedom and enjoyment of exploring law, and save $$). So I agree with Omph that we should talk about dinosaurs in instead. 

I reeeeeaaally hate the Jurassic World 'let's just turn raptors into trainable dogs' plotline. Totally ruined the best dinos. That kitchen scene from the original movie still gives me chills 20+ years on.

..you really got sense of humor...what a funny girl..

Edited by akulamasusu

I find these forums very irritating simply because I find a lot of those who comment on people's chances(and feel they are deserving to do so) are those with higher GPA and lower LSAT. In these cases they say "oh the LSAT is just a timed exam, just a few hours of your life, and it's not really a good indicator of your ability to do well in law school." And then these same people will go so far as to harp on people who have higher LSAT scores and lower GPAs, as if most schools don't weigh both aspects at 50%. To all those who say that your chances with a lower GPA and higher LSAT are poor, GET OVER YOURSELF.  Look through canadian schools' accepted threads and see that many schools are willing to accept lower GPA students with higher LSATS. And not for access reasons, simply because that's how admissions at law schools works. Further, just because you were unable to get a score within the excellent range on the LSAT doesn't mean that those who did worked any less hard than you did for your higher GPA. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LawSchoolHopeful2017 said:

I find these forums very irritating simply because I find a lot of those who comment on people's chances(and feel they are deserving to do so) are those with higher GPA and lower LSAT. In these cases they say "oh the LSAT is just a timed exam, just a few hours of your life, and it's not really a good indicator of your ability to do well in law school." And then these same people will go so far as to harp on people who have higher LSAT scores and lower GPAs, as if most schools don't weigh both aspects at 50%. To all those who say that your chances with a lower GPA and higher LSAT are poor, GET OVER YOURSELF.  Look through canadian schools' accepted threads and see that many schools are willing to accept lower GPA students with higher LSATS. And not for access reasons, simply because that's how admissions at law schools works. Further, just because you were unable to get a score within the excellent range on the LSAT doesn't mean that those who did worked any less hard than you did for your higher GPA. 

Who are the ones with the low lsats relative to GPA that you're referring to? 

Edited by JDhopeful2020

Okay, this thread has officially become a total fucking mess, and for once, despite the fact that I participated in it, I have nothing to do with it becoming a total fucking mess. And that's just ... wrong.

I don't even know where these most recent posts are coming from, except for the fact that this seems to have become a general clearing ground for everyone's insecurities. I think it's notable the most recent two posters, who are now hammering at each other, both have "hopeful" in their names. And I point that out not to suggest that being nasty to other people and being "hopeful" for oneself are necessarily contradictory. I point it out because y'all have to admit to yourselves that you have psychological skin in the game, and taking it out on other people isn't helping anyone.

The truth of these forums is simply this. We all, to some degree, are invested in our careers and in our professional images. I don't exempt myself or any of the lawyers here, even the 10 year+ calls. I, for example, get personally and professionally offended when anyone suggests that criminal defence is somehow a lesser calling than "BigLaw." I'm not saying that's what happened in this thread - it's just an example. I have psychological skin in the game too. But all you students and applicants ... you have tons more skin in the game than I do. You're worried about if you'll get in, where you'll get in, what kind of career you'll have in the future, whether you'll make as much money as you need, or want, or enough to convince your parents that their immigrant sacrifices were worth it. And you are all motivated as fuck to believe that what you have and what you want and where you come from is somehow better and more likely to lead to that success than whatever the hell the next person brings. That's human nature. And I won't tell anyone to get over it because you won't. I'm just telling you to see it, and maybe learn to shut up more often when your insecurities threaten to leak all over the Internet like some kind of toxic oil spill.

Right now, I withhold all opinion about foreign vs. domestic study, GPA vs. LSAT, nepotism vs. merit, U of T vs. everyone else, prestige vs. passion, BigLaw vs. whatever the hell it is I do, and every other schism that could come up here or elsewhere. I have my opinions, yes, and to the degree that I'm at least settled in my career and have less reason to care what any nervous undergrad thinks of me, I believe my opinions are more likely to be rational than those of someone checking their mailbox every day in a cold sweat. I believe the same is true of the other lawyers here. I believe you should listen more to the people who have been in their careers a while both because we bloody well know more (seriously, we do) and also because we do not need, as desperately as you do, to believe we've got the secret sauce whereas the next person doesn't. This isn't to say that applicants and current law students should not get into dialogue with one another. But maybe calm down with the certainty just a wee bit? You may notice that legal professionals qualify the shit out of things we don't know for certain. It's a good habit to get into.

Anyway, I'm done. Everyone calm the fuck down. I don't like being the reasonable person in the middle of a shit show. It violates the natural order.

• Like 6

A reminder to be excellent to each other. It's a stressful time for people. This thread is pretty well run aground now. 

OP, if you have more questions, maybe start a new topic and we'll see if we can keep it on the rails. 

• Like 3