Sign in to follow this  
habeascorps

Really feel like I failed the bar (Barristers) - need motivation

Hi guys,

I wrote the Barristers exam this week and have been feeling extremely down and unmotivated ever since. Time was definitely an issue for me. I wasn't able to finish the last 12ish questions for each part (literally had to circle a random letter for each question). I used a time sheet and was on track for about the first half of the exam and then as the questions started getting harder, I found myself working slower and wasting too much time on certain questions that I couldn't figure out for the life of me. There were many questions I (think) I knew or found answers to, a handful I wasn't able to find the answer to/figure out, and some I took an educated guess or tried to use my common sense (PR questions). The second the exam finished, I really felt like I failed it and still do. :(  My prep for the Barristers included lots of reading (obviously), highlighting, I made a solid index with a group of friends, and did many practice questions. 

That being said, did anyone else feel the same way but magically passed? Any words of advice, encouragement, tips, tricks etc. would be greatly appreciated. Been feeling really down and have zero motivation to study for the solicitors (the material is SO dense!). 

You're not down and unmotivated, you're tired and need to rest. Take a day off and keep going on your next exam. 

• Like 9

Almost everyone thinks they failed, and most people don't. 

Rest, regroup and get back in there.

• Like 7

I missed the last 20 questions on the second half of one of the exams. Still passed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, providence said:

Rest, regroup and get back in there.

6 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

You're not down and unmotivated, you're tired and need to rest. Take a day off and keep going on your next exam. 

Thank you! I really hope so - I will be elated if I somehow passed. Its all a waiting game now. This is a little off topic but if I do fail, how would I break the news to my articling principle? She'll probably think she hired a dumba$$...

Edited by habeascorps

1 minute ago, Lawlyer said:

I missed the last 20 questions on the second half of one of the exams. Still passed.

Glad to hear that you passed! Thank you

I know tons of people who felt like they failed, and then didn't. Don't discount your chickens until they fail to hatch.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Everything will be okay, though. It really will. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, omph said:

I know tons of people who felt like they failed, and then didn't. Don't discount your chickens until they fail to hatch.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Everything will be okay, though. It really will. 

Just what I needed to hear tonight - thank you

• Like 1

On 2017-06-10 at 0:05 AM, habeascorps said:

Thank you! I really hope so - I will be elated if I somehow passed. Its all a waiting game now. This is a little off topic but if I do fail, how would I break the news to my articling principle? She'll probably think she hired a dumba$$...

I don't think you need to let her know... you'd have to take time off to write in November so it might make her suspicious, but other than that you can keep it to yourself.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:00 AM, providence said:

Oh the days when that was true here in America.............now everyone is a special snowflake and falls on their face. What is your pass rate in your jurisdiction? In many US ones its WELL under 50% lately.

48 minutes ago, 0joe said:

Oh the days when that was true here in America.............now everyone is a special snowflake and falls on their face. What is your pass rate in your jurisdiction? In many US ones its WELL under 50% lately.

Roughly speaking...

all candidates: 80%
from Canadian law schools: 87%
from foreign law schools: 53%
articling-track candidates from Canadian law schools: 90%
LPP-track candidates from Canadian law schools: 61%

Those percentages are for first time test sitting only. I think. You get a few tries, so the eventual pass rates would be even higher. 

(LPP is an extra year of school in lieu of articling. Generally it is a last resort for students that could not secure articling.)

1 hour ago, 0joe said:

Pssh, that's nothing! Our pass rate is well under 0%. 

Also, my dad could totally beat up your dad.

• Like 8