Sign in to follow this  
beyonceslawyer

Chances of getting into McGill law (3.2 GPA)

Hi guys.

Beyonce's future lawyer here (by any means necessary)

I want to get into McGill and only McGill. I am OK with facing the truth so please be honest with me.

I'm applying with a 3.2 GPA, (6.5/10 CGPA from Ottawa U). I drastically improved it from 4.5 to 6.5, L2 years full of A's and a few B's, study abroad term is also all A's with one B. 

Lots of EC's in music, exchange program and a lot of women-related EC's as well (girl-power!)

Currently working on a killer personal statement

Still debating on doing the LSAT (I figured if I didn't get in this time around, I would do it next time around).

I was born and raised in Montreal and so I'm fully bilingual, so are 100% of the jobs on my CV.

I know McGill has a hollistic approach, but I also know they care about grades to a certain degree. Friend of mine who is already in the law program told me to just focus on increasing my extracurriculars and really being original/authentic with my personal statement. Any insight would help, thank you x

You should write the LSAT.  With such a low GPA, you will likely have to score very high on the LSAT (90th percentile or so). 

See below from McGill's website. https://www.mcgill.ca/law-admissions/undergraduates/admissions/faq

Should I take the LSAT?

While it is not required, it may nevertheless be advisable for many candidates to consider writing the LSAT. Admission to McGill’s Law program is highly competitive: there are roughly seven to eight times as many applicants as there are available places in the first year class. Accordingly, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for admission to a number of faculties of law. Almost all faculties of law outside Quebec require the LSAT.

The quality of McGill’s applicant pool is exceptionally strong. Among admitted students, the average entering GPA is a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale (about an 84% average). Applicants with academic records below this average GPA or percentile are encouraged to consider writing the LSAT.

What are the cut-offs for CRC, GPA and LSAT scores?

There are no fixed cut-offs, and while the numerical aspects of the applicant's file are not decisive, students offered admission at McGill generally have outstanding academic records in addition to their other qualities. Accordingly, it is not possible to predict the probability of admissions using numerical indices.

University and Mature Categories:
Here are the statistics for the university and mature students entering the first year of the program in September 2016:

Percentile Scale 4.0 Scale
Class average 85% 3.8
Lowest 74% 3.0
Median 84% 3.7
Highest 95% 4.0

Score Percentile
Average LSAT 162 84.9
Lowest 150 45.2
Median 163 86.8
Highest 170 97.3
  • Like 1

They look at your cumulative GPA. 3.2 is well below average for them. Competitive cGPA for McGill law is 3.7+. You are unlikely to get in unless there is something remarkable in your personal statement that blows them away, or if you score very highly on the LSAT (easier said than done). If your goal is to be a lawyer or go to a Canadian law school, then you need to be fine with going to another school. 3.2 GPA is not competitive for any Canadian law school, though I'm guessing your last two years is higher. 

Edit: You're essentially competing with students who have high GPAs AND good ECs. McGill attracts a lot of bilingual applicants as well. 

Edited by Simbaa

Is the reason for your GPA being low attributable to something that is documented?

The admissions process is very GPA-focused. Its the #1 assessment criteria.

ECs and a well crafted personal statement can help but don't fall into the trap of thinking that they'll get you admitted on their own. Also, bilingualism is an admissions requirement but not something that is weighed competitively (they wont admit you if you dont meet the standard but they also wont admit you because you do meet the standard). 

What are you doing now? If you're not taking courses to raise your GPA, writing the LSAT is the only realistic option you have to help make your application competitive.

• Like 1

I'm currently working full time at a bank and doing lots of volunteer work. I have been studying for the LSAT but I was iffy about getting in. A friend of mine just got in with a 3.4, strong ECs and no LSAT. So I guess I thought I would give it a shot. Last two years are 3.5/6. Also went abroad for a year and got a recommendation letter from law professors there after scoring first class in an intro to law course. My first year and a half was crap because I thought I wanted to go to med  school and realized I didn't. Ideally interested in IP or entertainment law (very much into music/entertainment industry, artist rights & etc).

20 minutes ago, beyonceslawyer said:

I'm currently working full time at a bank and doing lots of volunteer work. I have been studying for the LSAT but I was iffy about getting in. A friend of mine just got in with a 3.4, strong ECs and no LSAT. So I guess I thought I would give it a shot. Last two years are 3.5/6. Also went abroad for a year and got a recommendation letter from law professors there after scoring first class in an intro to law course. My first year and a half was crap because I thought I wanted to go to med  school and realized I didn't. Ideally interested in IP or entertainment law (very much into music/entertainment industry, artist rights & etc).

Obviously, the only way of acceptance is to try. I would suggest the LSAT to maximize your chances. You've heard what the others said. Your grades will likely be the feature that holds you back and that can be remedied with the LSAT.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have a higher cGPA, speak 4 languages, have an amazing CV and personal statement, and still got rejected this session. I am going to re-apply with the LSAT completed. I strongly suggest that, with that GPA, you do the same.

• Sad 1

In regards to this topic, 

What if the GPA of the undergraduate studies was 3.2 however I received my masters in clinical mental health and received an 3.9 GPA at the university? Would they put more emphasis on my masters or undergraduate GPA at Mcgill? 

2 hours ago, Penelope0108 said:

What if the GPA of the undergraduate studies was 3.2 however I received my masters in clinical mental health and received an 3.9 GPA at the university? Would they put more emphasis on my masters or undergraduate GPA at Mcgill? 

From McGill's website:

"Because the learning curve of legal studies is more similar to the learning curve of undergraduate studies, the emphasis in the assessment is on the applicant's undergraduate marks. However, graduate work will also be considered."

2 hours ago, Penelope0108 said:

Masters is a soft. Your undergrad GPA is what matters. Masters grades are curved to like an A-/A or something. It's just not comparable.

On 6/7/2017 at 5:07 PM, beyonceslawyer said:

Thank you. I think I will just do the LSAT to increase my competitiveness. 

Hi, I'm in the same boat. Did you end up writing your LSAT?