Sign in to follow this  
JohnBordeaux

Western for Criminal Law

So everyone is familiar with Western having a business law reputation due to Ivey among other things. I could have posted this in the school comparisons section with another considered school, but I'm hoping to get current Western students interested in criminal law to speak on this, and so I thought the Western section would best do that. My question is simple: does Western have a criminal law offering that's consistent with their business and corporate law focus? More specifically, courses, clinics, profs, extracurriculars, or whatever else you think is relevant. I have done my own research, but relative to a couple other schools, I only see small differences, and I'm sure every Ontario school adequately addresses every area. Thanks in advance

Western has 2 profs teaching first year crim. Another professor has an interest in international criminal law. Another prof I believe supervises the students at the clinic / those taking criminal law advocacy (where you get your own clients). Western also participates in the Arnup Cup (a criminal law moot against other schools). I believe they also had an internal criminal trial advocacy exercise, although I'm not sure this is still going on- perhaps someone else can help. 

Other than that, evidence is usually taught both semesters, and there's a number of other crim courses. 

They also have informal streams where you get to informally specialize in an area of your choosing, and one of them is crim. 

http://law.uwo.ca/future_students/curricular_streams/criminal_law.html

Although Western is great for business, its a great law school in general

JJ

• Like 2

As others have mentioned, there is no shortage of crim at Western.

There are a number of crim courses offered (off the top of my head - Criminal Procedure, Evidence, Sentencing, Youth Criminal Justice, Criminal Law Advocacy), there's a program through which crim students spend a semester shadowing a Crown and a defence lawyer, & there's also a January intensive course whereby a handful of students are placed at the Ontario Court of Justice in London and Toronto to shadow & work for the judges there.

There are also multiple moots involving criminal matters, and the WL Criminal Law Students Association is a great forum for discussion about criminal issues. They organized a few field trips to Elgin Middlesex Detention Centre last year and a number of students took part.

Western also has a fair few 2Ls working in crim this summer - some of whom are at a couple of the biggest and certainly most well-known criminal law firms in Toronto.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, benschnell said:

I'm a crim head at Western. If you want more information send me a message.

Sent a PM but I have a feeling we already emailed lol