Sign in to follow this  
clivebixby

Law to Investment Banking or Private Equity

Has anyone made the transition? How did it go?

Did you join a past client's office?

I would love to hear about your experiences!

I made the transition about 2 years ago. I had taken a job at a V10 firm in the USA, and within a few years had quickly advanced to more complicated, client side work. I worked closely with a multi-disciplinary partner, but a lot of my work ended up being with financial institutions. There was some office politics following a merger at my firm, and that was quickly followed by some investigation into a shadier part of my past. Worried about them finding out I had never passed the bar or facing criminal charges I decided to shift over to the investment banking world. I had an offer on the table from a former client, so it was an easy transition. I really enjoyed the work and found it mentally stimulating, but I found myself missing the family law and class action cases I was able to take pro bono at my old firm.

A year later I was managing a takeover and was on the opposite side of both my firm and the aforementioned partner. Due to a misunderstanding with the SEC the partner and I were falsely accused of collusion. Nothing too serious resulted from it, but I ended up getting fired. Fortunately the partner offered me a spot at the firm, and I returned with a nice salary bump and new office. 

They actually made a documentary about my life, you can learn more about it here.

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 13

16 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Story

You bastard. Had me going in the first few sentences. :lol: Great post.

To OP: I may be making the jump to private equity. I will let you know if it does work out, and I can share my experiences if it does.

Edited by hitman9172

On 5/4/2017 at 10:18 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

I made the transition about 2 years ago. I had taken a job at a V10 firm in the USA, and within a few years had quickly advanced to more complicated, client side work. I worked closely with a multi-disciplinary partner, but a lot of my work ended up being with financial institutions. There was some office politics following a merger at my firm, and that was quickly followed by some investigation into a shadier part of my past. Worried about them finding out I had never passed the bar or facing criminal charges I decided to shift over to the investment banking world. I had an offer on the table from a former client, so it was an easy transition. I really enjoyed the work and found it mentally stimulating, but I found myself missing the family law and class action cases I was able to take pro bono at my old firm.

A year later I was managing a takeover and was on the opposite side of both my firm and the aforementioned partner. Due to a misunderstanding with the SEC the partner and I were falsely accused of collusion. Nothing too serious resulted from it, but I ended up getting fired. Fortunately the partner offered me a spot at the firm, and I returned with a nice salary bump and new office. 

They actually made a documentary about my life, you can learn more about it here.

haha had me in the first few sentences as well. 

On 5/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, hitman9172 said:

You bastard. Had me going in the first few sentences.  Great post.

To OP: I may be making the jump to private equity. I will let you know if it does work out, and I can share my experiences if it does.

Goodluck! Let me know how it goes.