Sign in to follow this  
cbee

Where to live in Winnipeg?

Hi All!  I'm going to be moving from Toronto to join some of you in Law School in September.  For those of you who live in Winnipeg, I had a few questions about neighborhoods, prices, and transportation!

I'm a 38 year old male with two cats.  I've noticed on Kijiji that there are a LOT of apartments that don't allow pets.  Is this normal?  I know in Toronto you aren't allowed to restrict pets unless there is a serious allergy.  Any insight on that?  

I'm hoping to live alone and pay between 800-1200/month (all in with heat and electricity) for a decent apartment.  I'm  concerned about being able to get to school easily, and liking my place, and being close to a bit of action. Is this reasonable to expect?

How is the transportation situation?  I can drive, but don't really want to buy a car.  

In Toronto I live in a pretty hipster neighborhood, and really enjoy it.  I'd love to be able to get decent coffee, be near a good butcher shop, good produce &c.  I really like to walk or bike to what I need.  Does anyone have any neighborhood recommendations?  Preferably up and coming type places?  

I'm really looking forward to moving to Winnipeg.  I've heard nothing but great things from friends that move through Winnipeg with bands and such.  I'd love to hear anything else anyone has to say!

Cheers!

P.s. do we have a facebook group yet?

On 4/29/2017 at 11:34 AM, cbee said:

Hi All!  I'm going to be moving from Toronto to join some of you in Law School in September.  For those of you who live in Winnipeg, I had a few questions about neighborhoods, prices, and transportation!

I'm a 38 year old male with two cats.  I've noticed on Kijiji that there are a LOT of apartments that don't allow pets.  Is this normal?  I know in Toronto you aren't allowed to restrict pets unless there is a serious allergy.  Any insight on that?  

I'm hoping to live alone and pay between 800-1200/month (all in with heat and electricity) for a decent apartment.  I'm  concerned about being able to get to school easily, and liking my place, and being close to a bit of action. Is this reasonable to expect?

How is the transportation situation?  I can drive, but don't really want to buy a car.  

In Toronto I live in a pretty hipster neighborhood, and really enjoy it.  I'd love to be able to get decent coffee, be near a good butcher shop, good produce &c.  I really like to walk or bike to what I need.  Does anyone have any neighborhood recommendations?  Preferably up and coming type places?  

I'm really looking forward to moving to Winnipeg.  I've heard nothing but great things from friends that move through Winnipeg with bands and such.  I'd love to hear anything else anyone has to say!

Cheers!

P.s. do we have a facebook group yet?

If you're paying $1200/month for an apartment, you're overpaying. In my first two years I paid $1200/month for a 3 bedroom house, with all utilities, cable and internet included.

Edited by Jethro
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2017 at 10:04 PM, Jethro said:

If you're paying $1200/month for an apartment, you're overpaying. In my first two years I paid $1200/month for a 3 bedroom house, with all utilities, cable and internet included.

Nice! What neighborhood did you live in?  Someone on reddit told me that west broadway was a good place to live....but I'm open to suggestions.....would you recommend a broker to find a place?

I live outside the city, so I can't speak to specific prices or pet restrictions in the various neighborhoods within the city. But based on the things you say your interested in, I would suggest looking into Osborne Village and the area surrounding that. It would check off most of your points as there a lots of cute shops, restaurants, coffee places, etc. in the area, which you would be able to walk or bike to. It is also within walking distance of the rapid transit system, which has a direct route to the university and would probably eliminate the need for you to purchase a car.

• Like 1

I second Osborne Village. I also recommend the Corydon area near Osborne. Both have a lot of food options, decent coffee (Make on Corydon would be my pick from the two areas), and transit routes to the U of M. They are also a short commute to DT if you're the biking-type. 

Extreme caution though that Winnipeg Transit is in no way comparable to what you have in DT TO. The U of M is in the south end of the city, and our transit takes quite a bit longer to get anywhere compared to the subway and/or street cars. Whats even better is when the bus is full and continues to drive past your stop, the next bus doesn't come for another 30 minutes, its -30 C out, and the stop doesn't have a heated bus shelter... That only ever happened to me on non-rapid transit routes (the 36 to be exact), so if you can find a place that you like near RT, you should take it. Or find a place closer to school at the sacrifice of the hipster neighbourhood. 

You can find old character apartments for as low as $700/month. The care-takers of some old buildings usually (from my experience and friends) turn a blind eye to cats, but if you don't want to take the chance, you will be paying more for a pet friendly apartment.

Edited by ElevenUnderwood
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2017 at 11:00 AM, cbee said:

Nice! What neighborhood did you live in?  Someone on reddit told me that west broadway was a good place to live....but I'm open to suggestions.....would you recommend a broker to find a place?

I was in St. Norbert - south end of the city, just outside the Perimeter Highway. Very nice, quiet neighbourhood, lots of families, very clean. Not the most awesome bus service, though.

As far as "hip" areas, I'd check around West Broadway, Osborne Village, and the Exchange District. None of them are particularly close to school, but they are all doable by bus (although again, Winnipeg Transit can be unreliable sometimes). You can definitely find a one bedroom in your price range in WB or Osborne...the Exchange (where I live) is probably the most up-and-coming of the three areas, but it's largely condos—and the grocery situation is not the best. I have a pretty cheap apartment in a co-op building that allows pets though, so you can get lucky every now and then. If you want more details about my particular place, feel free to message me.