PerniciousLaw

Waitlist 2017

1 hour ago, splur94 said:

Really surprised to see some of the ranks. Is Ottawa switching away from being a CGPA focused school who is forgiving of a low LSAT?

I went to Ottawa for my undergrad. Obviously can't speak to the law program in particular, but the admin at the school is horrid. I've had family/friends do their undergrad elsewhere and their post-grad at Ottawa and always speak on how terrible Ottawa is compared to their other universities. 

I can say as a student that the administration isn't ideal, and I have seen markedly better. But it isn't as bad as what a lot of students make it out to be. The course selection for third year students isn't ideal right now, but the school is receptive to implementing change. Some of my friends seem to think the careers office exists to find a job for you, for some reason. 

This waitlist stuff is pretty silly though. I wouldn't use it as a determinative consideration for whether or not to attend U Ottawa. For the most part law school is what you make of It (in my experience), and the administration would have to try really hard to get in your way once you're here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, splur94 said:

Really surprised to see some of the ranks. Is Ottawa switching away from being a CGPA focused school who is forgiving of a low LSAT?

I went to Ottawa for my undergrad. Obviously can't speak to the law program in particular, but the admin at the school is horrid. I've had family/friends do their undergrad elsewhere and their post-grad at Ottawa and always speak on how terrible Ottawa is compared to their other universities. 

I've heard the same. It really is a shame. And why don't they participate in OCIs like all other schools? 

1 hour ago, Blanket said:

I've heard the same. It really is a shame. And why don't they participate in OCIs like all other schools? 

not sure who told you they don't participate in OCIs

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coolgirl001 said:

They said this is first numbered waitlist, how many r there

There is only one. However, it will be updated at least once or twice in the next 6 weeks.

The current wait list is already outdated.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coolgirl001 said:

They said this is first numbered waitlist, how many r there

Last year, it was only officially updated once, IIRC. 

7 hours ago, MustangSally said:

Last year, it was only officially updated once, IIRC. 

Whsttt really? After how long. I know we have to wait until at least July 12

18 minutes ago, coolgirl001 said:

Whsttt really? After how long. I know we have to wait until at least July 12

We will probably see only one update just days, or maybe weeks, after the deadline of July 11. The revision will reflect how many people have been removed because of provisionals turning firm, along with how many people who did not wish to remain on the waitlist. So your rank will lower itself closer to zero based on the total amount of people who have been removed. 

I have a feeling that what U of O did this year was to bypass the initial waitlist rankings of previous cycles and go right to the one done just prior to the firm acceptance date. Last year, there were 257 on the initial waitlist. That's quite the difference from this year. There were some acceptances off the waitlist during the first week of July, and by July 22 they had moved past the 100 mark on the waitlist. The updating happened on July 25 and the top number was 83. No one posted after that date indicating they'd been accepted. Not that that is definitive as not everyone posts here but those were the dates for last year's cycle.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ReginaPhalange11 said:

Talked to admissions Friday.  They said the waitlist numbers would not be updated until late July or early August. 

Oh man. But obv - I mean they've been so slow so far it would be naive to expect them to be fast with the updated list, they're probably super busy 

Edited by coolgirl001

2 hours ago, woodyhey said:

Can anyone speak to the number of spaces left in course registration? 

Yes, I phoned admissions minutes ago and the lady told me that the class is full...

She said that there likely won't be any movement on the waitlist till the end of July.

So I am not sure where the 252 registered came from in this previous thread?

Edited by Kiedis
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kiedis said:

Yes, I phoned admissions minutes ago and the lady told me that the class is full...

She said that there likely won't be any movement on the waitlist till the end of July.

So I am not sure where the 252 registered came from in this previous thread?

Would anyone know the chances of getting in or how many people will be pulled off the waitlist? I know last year it went to 100 but that may have been an extraordinary circumstance. 

As erinl2 mentioned, though last year they admitted up to 100, due to the delay Ottawa may have bypassed initial rankings, and just given offers to their top waitlist choices. In previous years they gave ranks much earlier, and then accepted about 100 off that list. If we imagine that Ottawa was going to have 250 on the waitlist, but sent out acceptances prior to numbering, then they could've already sent out 75 acceptances before July 4th, which would result in the class filling up, meaning it's unlikely any of us actually receive offers :( . Don't mean to spread fear, just exploring the possibility

Also for anyone interested, my Queens acceptance went firm on the 4th, so OLSAS shows I'm withdrawn from Ottawa consideration, but the Ottawa website shows I'm still active. I've also emailed to have myself taken off, but my status remains unchanged. Don't know if they just haven't been notified I'm firm elsewhere, or if they're waiting for their new July 11th response deadline to update the site.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

As erinl2 mentioned, though last year they admitted up to 100, due to the delay Ottawa may have bypassed initial rankings, and just given offers to their top waitlist choices. In previous years they gave ranks much earlier, and then accepted about 100 off that list. If we imagine that Ottawa was going to have 250 on the waitlist, but sent out acceptances prior to numbering, then they could've already sent out 75 acceptances before July 4th, which would result in the class filling up, meaning it's unlikely any of us actually receive offers  . Don't mean to spread fear, just exploring the possibility

Many provisional acceptances likely became firm at uOttawa as of July 4th as well. So, if you combine the above theory with the possibility that many provisional acceptances became firm, chances of admission off of the waitlist are apparently pretty slim.

Well Good luck to all y'all (including me!) I really hope we all get in! Let's keep the hope alive!!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, inflex said:

Well Good luck to all y'all (including me!) I really hope we all get in! Let's keep the hope alive!!!

Where are you on the waitlist? 

And agreed to keeping the hope alive! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abanans said:

Where are you on the waitlist? 

And agreed to keeping the hope alive! 

• Like 1