PerniciousLaw

Waitlist 2017

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

A total of 9 people posted in the forums that they were accepted on June 21/22.No clue what the percentage of people who post here/ people who don't is. Let's say it's a third- you're looking at 27 acceptances. To go further down the rabbit hole of theoretical chances, if we assume UOttawa once again was going to offer admission to the top 100 waitlisted, it means they still can send acceptances to the top 70-ish. Before you put too much stock into that, remember we have now firmly left the firm grounding of factual information, and entered into the amorphous zone of speculation.

Damn, someone actually did estimate it. :P 

Plus, with the amount of students who have provisional acceptances that will turn firm before they hear back from Ottawa (July 4), spots will open up and movement will occur.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

A total of 9 people posted in the forums that they were accepted on June 21/22.No clue what the percentage of people who post here/ people who don't is. Let's say it's a third- you're looking at 27 acceptances. To go further down the rabbit hole of theoretical chances, if we assume UOttawa once again was going to offer admission to the top 100 waitlisted, it means they still can send acceptances to the top 70-ish. Before you put too much stock into that, remember we have now firmly left the firm grounding of factual information, and entered into the amorphous zone of speculation.

The fact that there folks with provisional acceptances dropping out of the wait list on July 4th supports this forecast. I think 70 is a good number. 

Edited by inflex

This is all, of course, speculation, but I think it's reasonable to assume a decent chunk were admitted from the unnumbered waitlist this year. Last year there were like, what, ~230 on the waitlist? But there are 176 on this year's waitlist. Assuming the difference in number is not a result of uOttawa putting less people on the waitlist this year compared to last, then, yeah, it seems reasonable to assume a group of people did get admitted from the unnumbered waitlist, since this would explain why there are less people on the numbered waitlist. 

But, as it was alluded to, this is all speculation. It could very well be the case that each spot on the waitlist this year is more competitive, of which would explain the decrease from ~230 to 176. 

20 hours ago, pandafluff said:

the total number of available seats is 317 and 237 seats are filled, so if the class size is 300, then there are 17 less available spaces out of the 80, so 63? remember that this doesn't include people accepted off the unnumbered waitlist who haven't registered and anyone that might be accepted but have yet to register.

The bottom line is that there will still be quite a bit of movement on the waitlist.

If there are 80 seats left, and we estimated 27 accepts from the unnumbered list, let's keep it round, so 30, then we really have 50 seats left for the numbered wait list. Of course I haven't discounted the number students who have provisional acceptances that may firm somewhere else. 

So at the minimum 50 + (the students that firm their acceptance at other schools) = the rank that may possibly be accepted

Assumption: the students were competitive to get in to another school and therefore had a high ranking -- fairly accurate assumption I would say. 

Edited by inflex

1 hour ago, PerniciousLaw said:

This is all, of course, speculation, but I think it's reasonable to assume a decent chunk were admitted from the unnumbered waitlist this year. Last year there were like, what, ~230 on the waitlist? But there are 176 on this year's waitlist. Assuming the difference in number is not a result of uOttawa putting less people on the waitlist this year compared to last, then, yeah, it seems reasonable to assume a group of people did get admitted from the unnumbered waitlist, since this would explain why there are less people on the numbered waitlist. 

But, as it was alluded to, this is all speculation. It could very well be the case that each spot on the waitlist this year is more competitive, of which would explain the decrease from ~230 to 176. 

I wondered if part of this was because more people withdrew. Given that the waitlist is so late this year, I didn't know if  more people already had an acceptance to another school, and didn't care to remain on the waitlist?

On 6/29/2017 at 9:22 AM, pandafluff said:

^This. If you're set on Queens, please withdraw from Ottawa so they can expedite the process for the other 175 people on the wait list. I'm sure it'll be greatly appreciated so they can plan their summers earlier and start looking for housing if they're coming from out of town.

FYI, 2 weeks ago I provisionally accepted my offer to Queen's and at the same time placed myself "no longer under consideration" at UOttawa through OLSAS. Despite this, Ottawa still decided to rank me this week (I was ranked 14). I called OLSAS and they basically said Ottawa's Admissions are all over the place. So you can imagine there are at least a few more people in a situation like mine where they may have already removed themselves from consideration, but Ottawa simply hasn't recognized it yet.

Either way, good news for everyone on the wait list! My guess would be that the majority of movement will come in the week of July 10 (firm offers in by July 4, give the admissions a few days to sort and send out offers).

Good luck everyone!

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

I wondered if part of this was because more people withdrew. Given that the waitlist is so late this year, I didn't know if  more people already had an acceptance to another school, and didn't care to remain on the waitlist?

That could very well be an explanation as well - I think the shorter waitlist could be realistically explained by both of our explanations. 

Well, the work day is creeping to a close, with a lot of us not having our ranks yet. I have no idea what to think at this point! 

1 minute ago, PerniciousLaw said:

That could very well be an explanation as well - I think the shorter waitlist could be realistically explained by both of our explanations. 

Well, the work day is creeping to a close, with a lot of us not having our ranks yet. I have no idea what to think at this point! 

Quick someone take one for the team and call admissions and ask! I would but I'm at work

1 minute ago, splur94 said:

Quick someone take one for the team and call admissions and ask! I would but I'm at work

I've been calling and they're not picking up! They close at 330:(

• Like 1

3:30?! Sigh. It's past 3:30 now. Well, let's hope they released all numbers when they left, with their system now working to update each and every one of our portals :D 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PerniciousLaw said:

3:30?! Sigh. It's past 3:30 now. Well, let's hope they released all numbers when they left, with their system now working to update each and every one of our portals  

Loll well my number isn't there .. I can't with this stress anymore, I think I'm gonna move on with my life 

I'm kinda worried they're releasing ranks in order. I know a poster said before they called the admissions department and that the department said ranks are not released in any particular order, but I'm slightly concerned because we have only had people with high ranks report on this thread. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PerniciousLaw said:

I'm kinda worried they're releasing ranks in order. I know a poster said before they called the admissions department and that the department said ranks are not released in any particular order, but I'm slightly concerned because we have only had people with high ranks report on this thread. 

I'm pretty sure that's the case but either way we're at the end of the week. Where are the ranks?!?! It's so annoying cause we don't even know where they left of

1 hour ago, coolgirl001 said:

Going to refresh my uzone every 10 minutes 

I remember doing it every 10 seconds for my lsat score. Oh what a process!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coolgirl001 said:

I'm hoping they're working overtime and coming in tmw 

On Canada Day? Not a chance. They won't be in until Tuesday, at the earliest. My original statement of them not caring about students and provisional offers becoming firm still stands (in my opinion).