Sign in to follow this  
DisLawyer

Substantial Scholarship from Western, but still in queue at Osgoode

Hi all,

Looking for some advice:

I just received $20,000 from western, and only have 1 week to firmly accept them in order to be guaranteed the scholarship.

My top choice is for sure osgoode, but I am still in queue.

What should I do?!?! I don't want to give up the scholarship with the hopes of getting into Osgoode.

Stats:

3.95 CGPA, 158 LSAT, great overall application, did not fill out part B because it wasn't relevant to my application.

Did you get in soon after? I emailed them and they said my file is still in review and they can try to push my name forward.

Western is a fantastic school that will offer (more or less) the exact opportunities. There is no guarantee Osgoode will yield you any substantial scholarship money and Western is the cheaper school. Likewise, the cost of living and commuting in London is much cheaper. I would take the money and head over to London - 20k is not trivial and you earned it. Congratulations! 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 11:43 PM, DisLawyer said:

Did you get in soon after? I emailed them and they said my file is still in review and they can try to push my name forward.

Yes I got in the next day

• Like 1

Update: I just got added to the wait pool at Osgoode.

I have to make a decision about the western scholarship by tomorrow. 

How likely is it to be offered admission from the wait pool? How long does it usually take?  How many spots are there in the wait pool?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Nobody is going to be able to offer a real answer to your questions, since Osgoode does not release statistics on their waitlist. That said, you're late in the cycle and not much movement should be expected. 

3 hours ago, DisLawyer said:

Update: I just got added to the wait pool at Osgoode.

I have to make a decision about the western scholarship by tomorrow. 

How likely is it to be offered admission from the wait pool? How long does it usually take?  How many spots are there in the wait pool?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Take Western's offer and run! There really is no guarantee that you'll get into Osgoode and you have no real way of gauging your chances for admission. Western is a great school that will open the same doors for you. 

6 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

Take Western's offer and run! There really is no guarantee that you'll get into Osgoode and you have no real way of gauging your chances for admission. Western is a great school that will open the same doors for you. 

Agreed. Not sure what you are interested in, but if it's bay street, then Western students seem to do just as well as Osgoode's. Both are great schools, but IMO, $20K is a ton of money to reject. 

This sounds like the most simple task, but it always helps me figure out where my heart truly lies in a tough decision! Pretend as though you just accepted the 20K scholarship at Western. Are you the slightest bit upset that you didn't wait to see your chance at Osgoode? 

• Like 1

Danny257 - that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Objectively, it seems to many people that giving up 20k for a chance to get into osgoode isn't worth it. However, I very very much value staying in Toronto and going to Osgoode. I'd probably be more upset if I merely accepted the scholarship without giving myself the chance to get into osgoode, than if I forgo the scholarship and end up getting rejected from Osgoode and having to go to western anyways. 

I believe I am qualified to go to Osgoode, and I would never forgive myself if I robbed myself of the opportunity to go there. 

Ah, so you're thinking like me! I got an extremely low LSAT score twice now and am studying to re-take it in September or December. I've surprisingly been waitlisted at Windsor and am still in Queue at Osgoode. If I get accepted at Windsor and rejected at Osgoode, part of me will always resent myself if I didn't keep pursuing and trying for Osgoode because it's my absolute dream school. At the end of the day, the fact that you're questioning a 20K scholarship is a pretty big indication that your heart isn't fully set on Western. If Osgoode didn't matter to you, you would have accepted the scholarship to Western already. Imagine yourself as a child whose always dreamed of going to law school, what would the young you tell yourself right now? 

10 minutes ago, DisLawyer said:

Danny257 - that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Objectively, it seems to many people that giving up 20k for a chance to get into osgoode isn't worth it. However, I very very much value staying in Toronto and going to Osgoode. I'd probably be more upset if I merely accepted the scholarship without giving myself the chance to get into osgoode, than if I forgo the scholarship and end up getting rejected from Osgoode and having to go to western anyways. 

I believe I am qualified to go to Osgoode, and I would never forgive myself if I robbed myself of the opportunity to go there. 

The fact that you've been waitlisted, rather than accepted, for Osgoode suggests that, at best, Osgoode views you as a marginal candidate for their school. The fact that Western is offering you $20,000 to attend suggests that they view you as an excellent candidate for their school. I'd say it's foolish to make your entire decision based on whether a school "wants" you or not, but I think there is something to be said for going somewhere that seems to value you. That's part of why I accepted Osgoode over UBC - I found their interactions with me indicated a greater desire for me to attend. 

But hey, if you would pay $20,000 for the honour of having Osgoode keep your application under consideration if enough people turn down Osgoode (which is exactly what a waitlist is) then I guess that's your call. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

If you don't accept Western with scholarship now, and don't get into Os this cycle, would you simply go to Western without scholarship, or would you consider sitting a year out, upgrade and re-apply, hoping for Os?

I think the answer to that question answers a lot...

Edited by GirlInTheSix

If I don't accept the scholarship, I am not forgoing my spot at the school, I am just forgoing the scholarship.

I understand that being wait-listed versus being offered a 20k scholarship means that Western views me as a better candidate than Osgoode does. However, at the end of the day, I care more about attending Osgoode even if they do not value me as highly as Western does. And, if I am lucky enough to get into Osgoode, I'll have three years to prove to them that I am a top student. These initial screenings are not indicative of one's success in law school. 

I appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

Nitpick: LSAT score is highly predictive of 1L academic success, and far more predictive of 1L academic success than undergrad GPA. That's been beaten to death in other threads, but there's very good data supporting the predictive capabilities of the LSAT, which is why law schools use them. 

13 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Nitpick: LSAT score is highly predictive of 1L academic success, and far more predictive of 1L academic success than undergrad GPA. That's been beaten to death in other threads, but there's very good data supporting the predictive capabilities of the LSAT, which is why law schools use them. 

Can you drop it already? There may or may not be a correlation between LSAT 1L grades, but why do you have to spam the shit out of it? 

13 hours ago, DisLawyer said:

If I don't accept the scholarship, I am not forgoing my spot at the school, I am just forgoing the scholarship.

I understand that being wait-listed versus being offered a 20k scholarship means that Western views me as a better candidate than Osgoode does. However, at the end of the day, I care more about attending Osgoode even if they do not value me as highly as Western does. And, if I am lucky enough to get into Osgoode, I'll have three years to prove to them that I am a top student. These initial screenings are not indicative of one's success in law school. 

I appreciate the feedback!

I agree. And for the genius that keeps saying LSAT is predictive of 1L grades, there are literally tons of posts on this site (one with a dude that scores 170) with people who had high lsats but very poor 1L grades, and many who didn't do as well on the LSAT but were straight A students in 1L. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JDhopeful2020 said:

Can you drop it already? There may or may not be a correlation between LSAT 1L grades, but why do you have to spam the shit out of it? 

Drop what? My academic-research-backed assertion that LSAT scores are predictive? No, I think I'll continue mentioning it when relevant, like when someone says it's not predictive. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but I don't intend on ignoring facts because of your (or others) sensitivity. Sorry. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois