Sign in to follow this  
TheWanderer

Placement rates, class of 2017

15 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yeah, that second best rate of return (after medicine) sure is shitty and definitely a trap. /s

Further to my last post I just saw this and it's US not Canada, but recent and focuses on median (not mean) salaries:

"...The data tracks only salaried positions and therefore does not include sole practitioner or law firm equity partner compensation. In 2006, only six occupational groups had a higher median salaries than lawyers—chief executives, physicians, dentists, air traffic controllers, podiatrists and engineering managers, Merritt writes. In 2016, salaried lawyers’ median pay was also lower than that of nurse anesthetists, marketing managers, petroleum engineers, airline pilots, flight engineers, pharmacists, financial managers, natural sciences managers, and advertising or sales managers.

At the 25th percentile, inflation-adjusted lawyer salaries declined 6.5 percent from $82,935 (in 2016 dollars) in 2006 to $77,580 in 2016, Merritt reported. Salaries also slid 5.2 percent at the 10th percentile from $60,004 (in 2016 dollars) in 2006 to $56,910 in 2016...." [emphasis added]

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyers_salaries_slipping_compared_to_other_professions_data_indicates/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=most_read

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, epeeist said:

Further to my last post I just saw this and it's US not Canada, but recent and focuses on median (not mean) salaries:

"...The data tracks only salaried positions and therefore does not include sole practitioner or law firm equity partner compensation. In 2006, only six occupational groups had a higher median salaries than lawyers—chief executives, physicians, dentists, air traffic controllers, podiatrists and engineering managers, Merritt writes. In 2016, salaried lawyers’ median pay was also lower than that of nurse anesthetists, marketing managers, petroleum engineers, airline pilots, flight engineers, pharmacists, financial managers, natural sciences managers, and advertising or sales managers.

At the 25th percentile, inflation-adjusted lawyer salaries declined 6.5 percent from $82,935 (in 2016 dollars) in 2006 to $77,580 in 2016, Merritt reported. Salaries also slid 5.2 percent at the 10th percentile from $60,004 (in 2016 dollars) in 2006 to $56,910 in 2016...." [emphasis added]

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyers_salaries_slipping_compared_to_other_professions_data_indicates/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=most_read

Oh wow, excluding equity partners and sole practitioners lawyers still have the 7th highest median salary? That's crazy. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

1 hour ago, epeeist said:

While the decline in real incomes isn't terribly surprising, what is terribly surprising is that the 10th percentile of salaried lawyers make almost $57k.  That's not exactly terrible.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Oh wow, excluding equity partners and sole practitioners lawyers still have the 7th highest median salary? That's crazy. 

No, they used to in 2006. Now it's 16th?

8 hours ago, maximumbob said:

While the decline in real incomes isn't terribly surprising, what is terribly surprising is that the 10th percentile of salaried lawyers make almost $57k.  That's not exactly terrible.  

I blinked in surprise at that as well, although I suppose that is the 10th percentile of salaried lawyers, not the 10th percentile of people who went to law school. Having spent $200k+ on their education, many grads from TTT- schools are just completely excluded from the dataset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lookingaround said:

I blinked in surprise at that as well, although I suppose that is the 10th percentile of salaried lawyers, not the 10th percentile of people who went to law school. Having spent $200k+ on their education, many grads from TTT- schools are just completely excluded from the dataset.

Fair point, but even at that it's still a surprisingly high number for the 10th percentile of lawyers

• Like 2

As a 2017 UCalgary graduate, I am just sharing the number I got myself (NOT from Career Office)

-Generally speaking our year is worse than 2016 class from I heard, not to mention the 2015 class.

-The sources are: LinkedIn  FB and Law Society Portal (where you can find all articling students by searching their names)

-Out of 118 (or 124, depends, I know that 1 delay to graduate, 1 take 1 year off, 1 to 2018 class and 1 accepting a clerkship from starting 2018, at least 2 are not seeking)

-104 out of 118 got articling position, which give us number of around 88% placement rate.

-around 55 firm jobs are OCI jobs in either large or medium size firms, plus around 10 jobs for DOJ  CLG and UC

-90% in AB (almost exclusively in Calgary), around 5-10 in BC, very few in other provinces.

That rate could look even better since there is good chance that few from the remaining 15 secured articling outside Alberta AND lazy enough to update their FB/Linkedln. 

And the stats is update as of last month. The way career office calculate placement rates is from 6 months after graduation I believe. 

---------

Career office told me around May there are  ~15 people are still looking ,  I guess that number is not that inaccurate based on what I have. 

For 2016 class I been told around 10 still looking when graduating and I think they all secured articling now. (1 year post graduation).