12 hours ago, islandperson said:

Has anyone heard anything yet? Sounds like the waitlist has been ranked, which surprises me as I don't believe discretionary offers have gone out yet, but perhaps my file has just ended up in limbo somewhere in "File Complete - Awaiting Review" land... just wanted to make sure lol

1) Admissions mentioned that the discretionary category has its own wait list (albeit a much shorter one) when I talked to them half a year ago... at least that has been the case for the past few years.

2) By combining the information offered by Benjuryon here and Blanket over at the Waitlisted thread, we should be hearing back from them together tomorrow (but keep an eye on your emails today just in case). Good luck!

Update: heard back from UBC. Waitlisted. Discretionary. Not ranked. Check your emails!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Tamago

Waitlist #7 - does anyone know how much it tends to move? I'm not sure if I should remain hopefully or not with so few spots 

10 minutes ago, islandperson said:

Waitlist #7 - does anyone know how much it tends to move? I'm not sure if I should remain hopefully or not with so few spots 

Did you call/email to find out your position? I wasn't given a number at all.

Edited by Tamago

9 minutes ago, Tamago said:

Did you call/email to find out your position? I wasn't given a number at all.

I called and then emailed! They advised that it moves quite a bit over the summer 

Edited by islandperson
  • Like 1

It's tough to predict how much it moves but one of the things working for you is that they're people that other schools will also accept.

I was extended an offer via the Discretionary category today which I will be accepting. I have a 79% average with a 166 LSAT. I applied as a discretionary candidate due to my age and so that my work in the legal field could be considered in my application. I think that I had strong letters of reference, whose authors include defence counsel, crown counsel, and a provincial court judge as well. My ECs included volunteer work ranging from FOH for local theatre companies to serving as the president of Amnesty International UBC for a number of years, as well as volunteering my time for social events for bar associations in BC as a legal assistant.

The very best of luck to everyone who is still waiting for offers!

I received an offer today in the discretionary category. I have a 3.6 gpa and a 169 lsat. I believe my work experience is what got me in: I have been working as an advocate in post secondaries for over 7 years assisting students with their individual cases. I applied as a mature student. 

Good luck to those still waiting and I love forward to seeing those already accepted in September! 

Extra! Extra! The discretionary wait list has started moving!

I'll be grabbing my spot.

From what I've gathered, it doesn't sound like many seats will be available, but good luck everyone (at least those of you at the front of the queue)!

P.S. Not going to bother with posting stats.

Edited by Tamago
  • Like 3

On 2017-06-08 at 6:58 PM, Tamago said:

Extra! Extra! The discretionary wait list has started moving!

I'll be grabbing my spot.

From what I've gathered, it doesn't sound like many seats will be available, but good luck everyone (at least those of you at the front of the queue)!

P.S. Not going to bother with posting stats.

What position were you? They advised me it will move around 10+ spots - did you hear differently? 

I'll PM you about the position.

They didn't say 10+, but rather "a few". There are 21 spots to fill, so 10+ would mean half the people reject their offers. We can try to speculate on the likelihood of that happening, but for now I'm just going to take "a few" as "a small number" or "not that many".

On the other hand, I was assuming that whoever is next in the queue would unconditionally accept the next available offer, until all 21 spots are filled. That does not necessarily have to be true, so there is definitely hope. The catch, however, is that not everyone informs UBC of his/her decision not to attend, so for some spots you might have to wait for their respective deposit deadlines to kick in. If you're further down the queue, this could take some time.

Edited by Tamago
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, islandperson said:

Offer received today from the Discretionary Waitlist. I started in position #7, so it has moved at least that much  

Congrats! Care to share your stats?

5 hours ago, StatueofLimitations said:

Congrats! Care to share your stats?

They're on the boards somewhere here already but my average was approx. 83-84% and LSAT was 161. Average for this past year (which they didn't count towards my cGPA) was over 90%, as was last year, so there was a strong trend. Not sure to what extent that mattered but I did send them my most recent grades for the file.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, islandperson said:

They're on the boards somewhere here already but my average was approx. 83-84% and LSAT was 161. Average for this past year (which they didn't count towards my cGPA) was over 90%, as was last year, so there was a strong trend. Not sure to what extent that mattered but I did send them my most recent grades for the file.

Congratulations!!!!!! This is very well-deserved :)