Hey all, 

Has anyone been accepted or rejected yet under the discretionary category? I called today and asked when I would find out about admission/rejection (as I am in a bit of a housing pickle) and they said I will know within a week... Now I'm scared because I didn't think they had even begun discretionary category file reviews - I was expecting to hear back closer to May. Does this sound like a possible rejection? I feel like it's too early to be accepted with my stats.

GPA = 3.94 (confirmed) 

LSAT = 161

Index ~ 91.3 (by my excel sheet) 

That's likely to be an acceptance I reckon. I was told by them that how discretionary works is that your application is split into two: Regular and Discretionary.

They told me that I'd only hear before May if i was accepted under Regular.

Good luck

Edited by AR2015

That's likely to be an acceptance I reckon. I was told by them that how discretionary works is that your application is split into two: Regular and Discretionary.

They told me that I'd only hear before May if i was accepted under Regular.

Good luck

Oh okay, well hopefully you're right - fingers crossed. I will let you know!

Good luck to you as well!

Edited by islandperson

PS with a 3.94, I'm guessing you're above 91.3. Do you have your GPA in a percentage?

PS with a 3.94, I'm guessing you're above 91.3. Do you have your GPA in a percentage?

I'm a bit confused about my GPA actually - from UBC, I should have had about an 82.8% (based on the grades calculator), but I did have some miscellaneous courses from other universities which I was not sure if they were going to use, and my most recent semester's grades which averaged at around 90%, so I'm not sure exactly what they used from all of that. But by UBC's scale, an 3.95 = 85% (though I don't know if they use that scale for law as well or just undergrad programs). They may also have given me more drops due to the discretionary circumstances I mentioned. So, to answer your question, I have no idea what my % GPA would be. 

Also though, keep in mind that it's 3.94 out of 4.33

Edited by islandperson

I'm a bit confused about my GPA actually - from UBC, I should have had about an 82.8% (based on the grades calculator), but I did have some miscellaneous courses from other universities which I was not sure if they were going to use, and my most recent semester's grades which averaged at around 90%, so I'm not sure exactly what they used from all of that. But by UBC's scale, an 3.95 = 85% (though I don't know if they use that scale for law as well or just undergrad programs). They may also have given me more drops due to the discretionary circumstances I mentioned. So, to answer your question, I have no idea what my % GPA would be.

Also though, keep in mind that it's 3.94 out of 4.33

It is worth, if you haven't already, calculating your GPA using Ryn's tool http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/45607-ubc-gpa-calculator-and-chances-predictor/

Then use his chances predictor with that. May give you more of an indication as to what the result will be in the next week.

Good luck again :)

Alternatively, you can ask UBC themselves what your GPA is with drops. They'll tell you.

I just saw that you said you used a calculator

Alternatively, you can ask UBC themselves what your GPA is with drops. They'll tell you.

I just saw that you said you used a calculator

Oops, I just called and asked - I think I misheard them the first time, they said 82.94, not 3.94 lol. So that brings my index down a fair bit  - 90.78 by my calculations. Waitlist maybe? I'd be stunned if I was in with that this early, unless they did take into account some of the more recent grades and just didn't use my index score to admit me..

I'd imagine waitlisted probably, yeah.

Do you know if you can get waitlisted in the regular category and accepted through discretionary with a later review, or does that bump you out of the discretionary category altogether? 

Do you know if you can get waitlisted in the regular category and accepted through discretionary with a later review, or does that bump you out of the discretionary category altogether?

I honestly don't know. According to what they told me on the phone a while ago, they wouldn't even look at my Discretionary application until May but I am waitlisted in the regular category. But they only told me that because I called them so I'm unsure what they're going to tell you in a week, it's possible that that is the scenario. Let me know if possible...

• Like 1

I honestly don't know. According to what they told me on the phone a while ago, they wouldn't even look at my Discretionary application until May but I am waitlisted in the regular category. But they only told me that because I called them so I'm unsure what they're going to tell you in a week, it's possible that that is the scenario. Let me know if possible...

Will do! 

No update for me - I called and they said they must have made a mistake lol. They will not review the discretionary application until May although they did say I am on the waitlist, but status has not been updated yet, so very unsure...

17 minutes ago, islandperson said:

Has anyone in the discretionary category heard anything or had any status changes yet? 

Everybody finds out at the same time. There will be a meeting sometime in the last two weeks of May.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I applied discretionary and was accepted a few weeks ago. 

Did the letter/email mention whether you were accepted for the regular category, or the discretionary category?

It will have been in the regular category. It is the only way you would have found out without everybody else finding out at the same time.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard anything yet? Sounds like the waitlist has been ranked, which surprises me as I don't believe discretionary offers have gone out yet, but perhaps my file has just ended up in limbo somewhere in "File Complete - Awaiting Review" land... just wanted to make sure lol

Edited by islandperson