Sign in to follow this  
BlockedQuebecois

Professional Writing or Business Law

Hey all,

I'm finishing up my undergraduate degree before heading off to law school this fall. I currently need one more class to fulfill my degree requirements and have been thinking of taking either an introduction to professional writing course or a business law course through distance education. Both courses interest me, and I am confident I could perform well in either. I also considered a financial accounting class, but the material fees are a bit higher so I'm not sure I want to shell out the extra cash.

Do any of these stand out as courses that would be beneficial come September? If not, any suggestions on a course you feel would be useful? 

Thanks in advance! 

Professional writing and financial accounting would probably be the most useful for when you get out into the work force.

Since you're going to law school, business law will just be a mini-prep for (some of) contracts, torts, and corporate law. Probably not very useful.

If you're in a business program, you've probably already picked up some of the accounting fundamentals (e.g. learning how to read financial statements, what makes up a balance sheet, etc.), and that is likely the extent of what you need to know about accounting if you're doing business law.

So in the end I'd take the writing course.

• Like 2

Hey all,

I'm finishing up my undergraduate degree before heading off to law school this fall. I currently need one more class to fulfill my degree requirements and have been thinking of taking either an introduction to professional writing course or a business law course through distance education. Both courses interest me, and I am confident I could perform well in either. I also considered a financial accounting class, but the material fees are a bit higher so I'm not sure I want to shell out the extra cash.

Do any of these stand out as courses that would be beneficial come September? If not, any suggestions on a course you feel would be useful? 

Thanks in advance! 

I would take the accounting class, but it depends on your background as well. Have you taken financial accounting 1? Is this intermediate financial accounting? If this is your first financial accounting class, then it shouldn't be too difficult at all and will teach you some useful things regardless of what field you go into. Intermediate financial accounting is much more challenging in my experience, and probably not needed as a law student and future lawyer.

Edited by GameTime180
  • Like 1

Thanks to both of you! I've decided to take the writing course, I figure it may help me get on law review or just get better grades through law school! Thanks again :)