Sign in to follow this  
Sonson

U of A vs. TRU

Hi guys,

I have recently been accepted to both schools. I am from Surrey and would like to practice in the lower mainland area. I know that generally it is best to go where you want to practice but Alberta is considered a more reputable school. I am also leaning towards criminal law (although I realize that this could change). 

Which would be better for me?

Additionally, tuition is not a factor in my decision.

Thank you in advance!

I'd err on the side of U of A since it's a bit more established and you have relatively easy access to both the lower mainland and Alberta markets, while TRU's reach is much more concentrated in BC. 

I also prefer the city of Edmonton to Kamloops, but that's really a personal preference and I can't speak to either without knowing you better! Suffice it to say Edmonton has more of the "big city" things that make them desirable (concerts, sports, shopping, culture) while Kamloops still feels very much like a small town. However, if you like outdoor activities, particularly skiing or mountain biking, Kamloops may be your jam. 

• Like 2

I recommend going to U of A. I'm currently a lawyer in the Okanagan and I think TRU has a long way to go to catch up to established schools like U of A.

In particular, U of A will have more extra-curricular options and a better faculty. While U of A is further from the Vancouver area, it will also likely provide you better access to employment opportunities in Vancouver. Many employers in bigger cities are still a bit hesitant about hiring TRU grads (at least that was my experience in Calgary).

Many posters on this forum will go out of their way to discount a school's 'prestige/reputation' as a factor in deciding where to attend. I generally agree with this position, but I think in these circumstances U of A's superior reputation is warranted and a useful factor in your decision.

• Like 3

As said above, UoA is probably a safer choice academically. TRU is nearer the lower mainland, but UoA is just so much more established, bigger alumni networks, etc. I normally believe in the all schools give a great education mantra, but the caveat for that at both TRU & Lakehead is that they are new. Which is not to say that they are not good schools, it just means that the profession en masse doesn't know much about them, and may not give them the same benefit of the doubt they give everyone else.

The counterpoint to that is that you're going to be spending three years wherever you study. If you want to keep BC weather and climate, Kamloops has much milder winters than the prairie, and is surrounded by mountains, striking distance to the coast, the Okanagan, etc. So city you want to spend time may be a factor, although not one you talk about.

• Like 1

Outsider's perspective: I'd go to UofA. From my perspective, there would have to be a full scholarship or some other exceptional circumstance to make TRU the top choice.

• Like 1

TRU has a good connection to BC and there are plenty of mentor programs and social events that you will meet lawyer from the area you want to work.  It will be easier to get a job based on that, based on the alumni network that is already in the lower mainland.  The tuition is probably more at TRU but you wills pend more on travelling so I imagine that would even out - so, realistically it is how much you value those connections and whether you will make use of them.

• Like 1

How can tuition not be a factor?  Even if you have parents paying your entire bill, surely there's value in trying to save them money?

My understanding from these boards is that TRU's tuition is unusually high.  My usual advice is to go to school close to where you want to practice (which in your case is TRU), but a big difference in tuition might overwhelm that usual advice.

• Like 4

Yeah, if not more. I think I'm using pre tuition-freeze numbers when U of A was about 14.5k per year, whereas an estimate I did today showed tuition and fees to be about 12k. TRU is around 19k plus fees.

I was a TRU grad and have nothing but good things to say about the school.  Everyone who wanted a job in the lower mainland in my year was able to get one so there is something to be said about going to school where you want to practice.  Being 3 hours away from the lower mainland is a pretty big bonus.

However, the tuition would be the deciding factor for me.  TRU's tuition is stupidly high so I'd probably go to the UofA due to tuition reasons alone.  Saving 15-20k on tuition over the 3 years is nothing to sneeze at.  

• Like 7

Although I didn't have this choice, (I didn't apply to U of A, nor do I know if I would have been accepted), other than tuition (which is unreasonably high), I have no regrets coming to TRU. I've enjoyed the education I have received and was able to obtain a summer articling position this summer in BC. However, I also have a number of friends that have attended U of A from BC and they have nothing but good things to say about their time there. If you are looking to work in BC, I'm sure you will be fine with either choice. Although you note you want to work in the lower mainland, if you do change your mind and plan to work outside of BC, I would argue that U of A would be the better choice. 

Edited by law90
  • Like 1

U of A,  more established  , 15-20k equivalent a free car on campus and after graduation.

Edited by akulamasusu
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses! Tuition is not a deciding factor for me because as Bure10 mentioned other expenses such as plane flights and living expenses balance out TRU’s high tuition. I was initially leaning towards TRU because it is closer to the lower mainland but it looks like I have a lot to think about. 

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I have recently been accepted to both schools. I am from Surrey and would like to practice in the lower mainland area. I know that generally it is best to go where you want to practice but Alberta is considered a more reputable school. I am also leaning towards criminal law (although I realize that this could change). 

Which would be better for me?

Thank you in advance!

U of A is the obvious choice because it will have a much greater course selection and schedule flexibility in the upper years. You could also transfer to U of A after 1L from TRU as 2-4 people do every year. Or you could go to U of A and transfer to UVic after 1L as several people from BC also do every year.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses! Tuition is not a deciding factor for me because as Bure10 mentioned other expenses such as plane flights and living expenses balance out TRU’s high tuition. I was initially leaning towards TRU because it is closer to the lower mainland but it looks like I have a lot to think about. 

I have a hard time believing the costs of living expenses and flights will come close to what you would save on tuition by going to Uof A instead. 

I have a hard time believing the costs of living expenses and flights will come close to what you would save on tuition by going to Uof A instead. 

I have close family in Kamloops that I would be living with (so I would not be paying rent) and it is a 3 hour drive home. Living in Edmonton would mean having to pay rent and having to pay for plane tickets. So for my particular case it would be roughly the same. 

• Like 4

If annual spending is roughly the same, I would probably put more weights on being close to family member and less weight on school reputation.. Perhaps, I sense my parents are accelerated aging these days, so that I may have very different approach in school selection. I want to enjoy going back home more frequently nowadays , so location of law school will also be deciding factor to me.. It's priority list. You may need to think about your priority list. ,, so that you can reach your own answer. 

Edited by akulamasusu
  • Like 2

I made this decision as well and I picked TRU for a number of reasons and am a current 1L at TRU:

1. I was excited to go to a new school, the law floors have been newly renovated and are absolutely beautiful. Not to mention the views from any classroom and the libraries are all exceptional - makes all the time spent there more bearable! All of the classrooms have updated technology and have plugins at all the desks.

2. I had heard that the environment at TRU was a lot more collegial and family like and I was impressed. All of the upper years were extremely helpful, always willing to share notes or lend a hand. We were given an upper year mentor to help us specifically but all of the upper years are great. There isn't a huge emphasis on guarding against the curve and overall everyone is really supportive. I find that the professors are also really open to helping students and all have an open door policy. I had heard that the environment at some of the more established schools was quite ruthless. I mean I guess it depends what you are after but I certainly wanted more collegial.

3. The city of Kamloops itself was a big draw for me as I'm from at small town originally (60k) and Kamloops was a lot closer to that size (90k). Additionally, being from Alberta I knew how harsh Edmonton winters are and I was looking forward to the mild weather of Kamloops. Additionally, I'm a snowboarder so being 45 minutes away from Sun Peaks was a huge draw for me (and season passes for university students are only $665 if bought before October 31).

4. I was excited about the idea of being able to shape a new law school. Our students society (SLS) and the student body have a ton of say over what goes on and how things are ran. We hold 8 seats on our Faculty Council and get seats on all of the small committees. Currently, we are working on a strategic plan and reforming the curriculum.

I know that there are some drawbacks such as the higher tuition and being less established but it all depends on what your 'shopping list' is. TRU met my list much better than U of A did. Yes it sucks to pay the extra tuition but I am so pleased with the year I have had thus far. Additionally, I don't know what policies are at other schools but your first semester exams are are 'help not hurt' which means that if you tank them they go away. If you do better on your midterm than your final your midterm is worth 30% and your final is 70%, if you do  better on your final than your midterm then your final is worth 100% and the midterm goes away. Just things to think about!

• Like 6

I'm in a similar position, (u of a, u of c, TRU) and have decided to attend tru in the fall. For similar reasons as csch311, Similar sized city to my current one, good climate, I want to practice in bc, I like the campus, and it's closer to my family. Pm me if you want some more specific reasons or have questions. :)

• Like 5