Sign in to follow this  
putitthisway

158 after a 3rd try....quite devastated

Hi all,

Terrible news for me today. 

I had averaged 163 on LSAT's during my prep in November-December. Then in the month of December, out of about 5-6 LSAT's, I averaged 168. 

I got 158 on Feb 2017 LSAT. Huge disappointment. Not an immense shock - I knew the reading comprehension ruined me. But i'm still quite devastated because I don't think I'm going to law school next year.

I applied to Windsor, Ottawa, Western, Queens, Toronto, Osgoode, UVic and Dal.

I know UVic and Toronto are automatically ruled out. And I probably have a less than 10% chance of getting in to any other schools at this point. My cGPA is a 3.60, L2 3.84/4.00 (though I heavily overloaded last two years).

What's next? What should I do? This was my 3rd write. I got 153 in oct 2015, 155 in feb 2016. 

Such a shock :( . Should I find a full-time job? Study for another write? 

I hope others fared much better - this feeling sucks. 

I think your chances are much higher than 10% with a 3.6 CGPA and a 158. Your L2 is above average which Western and Queens value. I cant speak for Windsor, UVIC, or Dal. From observing this forum closely for the past months I can tell you, out at Toronto. Iffy Western, better chance at Queens.  Good for Ottawa (at least a waitlist) and similar chances at Osgoode. Overall, I predict you'll be in at a law school this cycle. I hope my prediction is right! Keep us posted.  

Keep your head up there, would'ya? A 158 certainly won't be the end of the world. Though I agree that you're out at UVIC and Toronto (most likely at Osgoode, too), you still have a decent shot at some other schools given your excellent L2--Dal especially is coming to mind (though I hope you don't get in there...that would take the spot that I'm gunning for :P). In all seriousness though, your chances are not completely shot. 

So, what to do now? First off, it never really hurts to be working a job, right? I mean, law school is going to be expensive and all. I guess you could sit there twiddling your thumbs for the next 6-odd months until you decide to write again, but wouldn't a job be so much more productive?! As for another write, I'd say make that decision in another month or so. Lets face it, you're not out at all the schools you've applied to. If you have some free time on your hands then it couldn't hurt to keep brushing up on your LSAT skills. You just don't need to start choosing alternative career paths just yet. 

As you've already spent your three attempts for the current two year period, I wouldn't be so quick to jump back on the study train. Wait to hear back from some of the other schools you've applied to (without giving yourself too hard a time), and do something you enjoy in the meantime, be it volunteering, work, sports, etc. You know better than we do how you can be productive in the following months. 

Best of luck!

• Like 2

158 is a great score and you have a good chances at ALL schools in Ontario.

Not to be a downer, but the chances of getting into U of T with an LSAT 9 points below median and a GPA 0.2 points below median and what sounds like no notable ECs or access claims is pretty much zero. 

I still think OP has a chance at other Ontario schools (though Osgoode may be out too), but I don't think it's helpful to pretend they're competitive where they're not. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 2

Not to be a downer, but the chances of getting into U of T with an LSAT 9 points below median and a GPA 0.2 points below median and what sounds like no notable ECs or access claims is pretty much zero. 

I still think OP has a chance at other Ontario schools (though Osgoode may be out too), but I don't think it's helpful to pretend they're competitive where they're not. 

Why would I pretend? That would be weird?

Go look at past acceptance threads of ALL schools in Ontario (INCLUDING UofT) and you will see LOWER stats than his accepted. UofT and Osgoode have made it clear many times that they review applicants entire application, and Personal Statements are imperative. If he has a strong PS, or there is something about his application that stands out, yes he does have a chance at ALL Ontario schools. 

Hi all,

Terrible news for me today. 

I had averaged 163 on LSAT's during my prep in November-December. Then in the month of December, out of about 5-6 LSAT's, I averaged 168. 

I got 158 on Feb 2017 LSAT. Huge disappointment. Not an immense shock - I knew the reading comprehension ruined me. But i'm still quite devastated because I don't think I'm going to law school next year.

I applied to Windsor, Ottawa, Western, Queens, Toronto, Osgoode, UVic and Dal.

I know UVic and Toronto are automatically ruled out. And I probably have a less than 10% chance of getting in to any other schools at this point. My cGPA is a 3.60, L2 3.84/4.00 (though I heavily overloaded last two years).

What's next? What should I do? This was my 3rd write. I got 153 in oct 2015, 155 in feb 2016. 

Such a shock :( . Should I find a full-time job? Study for another write? 

I hope others fared much better - this feeling sucks. 

you definitely have a shot at getting into law school. i had a 159 and go to western, and i know a friend who had a 155 and goes to UBC.

• Like 2

Do you not understand what the median means?? There are as many people who score above the median as there are below - it is the middle distribution of frequency.

• Like 2

Completely agree. I'm ruling myself out of Toronto and UVic without hesitation. 

Only reason why I'm not ruling out osgoode is because I've went through the acceptance thread this year and last and surprisingly saw many LSATs lower than 158 accepted. I know the chances are still VERY low. 

You bring up a good point about my EC's - they aren't  too special but let me list them : 

- 5 publications 

- VP of 1 club for 3 years 

- Management consulting experience with decent firm (~ 8 months experience) 

- Lots of volunteering with human rights organizations and that's what my PS was tailored towards 

And that's pretty much it. So yeah, not much going there with respect to ECs. 

• Like 1

I know exactly how you feel. I bombed in September with a 154 and then worked my butt off to practice in the range of about 162-164 and felt comfortable for December only to fall just short and get a 159. For what its worth I got an acceptance to the University of Alberta but would much rather go to a school in Ontario. I don't think you should count yourself out just yet. For one, I know this does not  help but you should have applied to UofA you had a decent chance at admission with your stellar L2. 

I would take a chill pill and hang on for a bit. I think you have a good chance at Ottawa and Queen's remains a possibility as well. 

Hang in there.

Edited by PropJoe
  • Like 1

158 is a great score and you have a good chances at ALL schools in Ontario.

158 is NOT a great score

However, 3.6 and 158 is probably good for Ottawa wait list.

• Like 2

158 is NOT a great score

However, 3.6 and 158 is probably good for Ottawa wait list.

158 IS A GREAT SCORE.

Why would I pretend? That would be weird?

Go look at past acceptance threads of ALL schools in Ontario (INCLUDING UofT) and you will see LOWER stats than his accepted. UofT and Osgoode have made it clear many times that they review applicants entire application, and Personal Statements are imperative. If he has a strong PS, or there is something about his application that stands out, yes he does have a chance at ALL Ontario schools. 

I'd love for you to show me a single person accepted to U of T with lower stats than these without significant ECs or an access claim. Even one. 

• Like 1

Do you not understand what the median means?? There are as many people who score above the median as there are below - it is the middle distribution of frequency.

I understand perfectly what the median means. The fact that there are as many people above and below tells us nothing about the standard deviation of the scores, or even if it is normally distributed. 

The idea of scoring 9 points below the median and being competitive is not particularly convincing, especially when the lowest accepted score on Ryn's calculator is 9 points below median. The odds get even worse when you consider they are also below the median for GPA. 

• Like 1

Completely agree. I'm ruling myself out of Toronto and UVic without hesitation. 

Only reason why I'm not ruling out osgoode is because I've went through the acceptance thread this year and last and surprisingly saw many LSATs lower than 158 accepted. I know the chances are still VERY low. 

You bring up a good point about my EC's - they aren't  too special but let me list them : 

- 5 publications 

- VP of 1 club for 3 years 

- Management consulting experience with decent firm (~ 8 months experience) 

- Lots of volunteering with human rights organizations and that's what my PS was tailored towards 

And that's pretty much it. So yeah, not much going there with respect to ECs. 

With the ECs you listed I actually don't mind your chances at Osgoode. I'd also expect you to have a good chance at most of the other schools in Ontario, particularly Ottawa. 

I'd love for you to show me a single person accepted to U of T with lower stats than these without significant ECs or an access claim. Even one. 

HERE IS ONE QUITE SIMILAR SWEETY. AND I am looking for more.

queenn, on 20 Jan 2015 - 1:57 PM, said:

I am literally in shock. Got an email from Prof. Alarie confirming the morning phone call, saying congratulations and that a formal email from the law school admissions department is coming soon (this afternoon/evening). My stats are utter shit compared to many of you, so hopefully this gives some low-lyers some hope.

LSAT: 159

cGPA: ~3.6

Best 2: 3.9

Best 3: 3.7

I'm also currently an MA student, and my PS deals specifically with gendered violence (and my interest in community outreach). My PS was pretty blunt and radical about the impact of sexual violence on my friends and close family members, so I think that was the reason for acceptance.

Apparently it's possible to get into UofT with a 159. STAY STRONG. Sending out vibes of love right now.

Going to go puke everywhere in my house and cry tears of surprise. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

(And also, learn from my mistake and turn on your phones!)

• Like 2

I understand perfectly what the median means. The fact that there are as many people above and below tells us nothing about the standard deviation of the scores, or even if it is normally distributed. 

The idea of scoring 9 points below the median and being competitive is not particularly convincing, especially when the lowest accepted score on Ryn's calculator is 9 points below median. The odds get even worse when you consider they are also below the median for GPA. 

Are you referring solely to UofT? If not, this year alone I've seen Osgoode accept a high 140 and a 150, and were still relatively early in the cycle. The standard deviation in regards to their median would be low to mid teens like 13-15.

HERE IS ANOTHER darling!!!!!

IN! Got the shock of my life yesterday afternoon. 

CGPA 3.53 (McGill/OLSAS)

B2/L2 3.85 

December LSAT 156 (not kidding.. was planning a re-do in Feb.) 

Here is hope for Mature applicants with low LSAT scores! 

• Like 1

160 is a decent score, 161+ is a good score, 165+ is a great score, 158-159 is an okay score, and 156-157 is borderline (may be better for cGPA schools), and anything lower is dicey. But for the OP, 158 should still give you a decent shot considering you also have a good cGPA and a great L2. Dal, Ottawa and Osgoode are all possibilities. Western is iffier, and trying to predict Windsor is a fool's game. 

• Like 2