Sign in to follow this  
reader

Music for Undergrad - Which Schools are Better or Worse?

I have seen similar topics on this forum and this question may sound imbecile and repetitive to many of you. 

So I'm a music student who has done two years of music in a college before I moved here to Toronto. I plan to go back to school here in Toronto to obtain a Bachelor's degree.

Out of all the post-secondary institution in Toronto, my preference for this endeavor is Humber College, which is known for its in-depth and hands-on music program. However I am concerned that this choice may not be the best when it comes time for law school admission, as Humber does not have a particularly good academic standing among schools, AND it is a college--not a university (does this make any difference?--pardon me for my ridiculous question, I am struck with doubts as I prepare to make these important decisions while being surrounded by piles of conflicting voices and information.) 

I know that I am well capable of earning the grades wherever I am, as I am both a hard worker and am smart enough to make the process enjoyable. 

I wish to get into the best law school possible to get the best education possible. If choosing a different school for Undergrad would practically and actually make a difference and raise my chance of getting into the best law school, then I have no problem with it. However I must know for certain that it would before I make a change of decision. 

Anything you know and anything you've experienced regarding this topic--please share. It would be of much help. 

Thank you in advance,

Any law school in Canada will give you an excellent education. You should consider the schools that exist int eh province where you want to live and work. So if you want to live in Vancouver, UBC is a better choice for you than Western. If you want to work in Manitoba, go to U of M. Etc.

Enjoy your undergrad. And make sure - to answer one of your queries - that it is at an accredited university that law schools will accept as an undergraduate institution.

Is there a way to check whether a school is an accredited university that law schools will accept as an undergrad institution? I searched it up but nothing came of it. 

McGill, U of T, or UBC are the top music schools in Canada and are also academically rigorous. 

(I have some experience with this.)

Edited by providence

Any law school in Canada will give you an excellent education. You should consider the schools that exist int eh province where you want to live and work. So if you want to live in Vancouver, UBC is a better choice for you than Western. If you want to work in Manitoba, go to U of M. Etc.

Enjoy your undergrad. And make sure - to answer one of your queries - that it is at an accredited university that law schools will accept as an undergraduate institution.

Slightly off topic but if I'm open to the idea of working anywhere but I want to give myself the best opportunity to get a job at a large corporate firm, UBC would be better than Osgoode, Queen's, or Western right?

Slightly off topic but if I'm open to the idea of working anywhere but I want to give myself the best opportunity to get a job at a large corporate firm, UBC would be better than Osgoode, Queen's, or Western right?

Where? Ontario? BC?

Where? Ontario? BC?

No preference between Toronto or Vancouver, willing to work in either city. I know Ontario law schools would be better for Toronto, and UBC for Vancouver, but just to get a corporate job after graduating in general UBC is a better bet than Osgoode/Queen's/Western or no? The stats UBC gives seem really promising (25% hired at a large downtown Vancouver firm for 2L summer).

No preference between Toronto or Vancouver, willing to work in either city. I know Ontario law schools would be better for Toronto, and UBC for Vancouver, but just to get a corporate job after graduating in general UBC is a better bet than Osgoode/Queen's/Western or no? The stats UBC gives seem really promising (25% hired at a large downtown Vancouver firm for 2L summer).

About a third of the Osgoode class gets hired at a Bay Street firm during 2L summer. That number decreases for the other Ontario schools, but is significantly lower than the U of T figures. However, in terms of raw numbers Osgoode nearly matches U of T and far out paces the other schools.

http://ultravires.ca/2016/11/recruitment-special-feature-bay-street-hiring-like-way/

Or...the exact numbers this year (rounding 27% up to 1/3rd is pretty optimistic math imo).

I was thinking more historically, where it's hovered just below 30%. You can say rounding up from that is still optimistic, but I feel like it's fair. It's roughly a third historically, with a down year this year (due to a larger class size, no?). Honestly I think raw number is a better metric of a schools performance with Bay Street OCIs anyways, since the limiting factor is 2L positions, with class size having no real effect on the market.

• Like 1