Fruitopiayo

Will be $102,000.00 in Debt. How screwed am I?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, haveblue said:

As of right now I've only gotten into the Dual JD at Windsor. Also on the Western waiting list and waiting to hear back from several others schools (that will probably be rejections).

After considering multiple funding options, summer work, school assistance, and during-school-work, I think it will likely mean $200,000 + in overall debt.

The post-graduation isn't quite as daunting as you may think. Expected starting salary at a conservative 60k leaves about $2,200 to live off of in the first few years after articling. It's pretty damn tight and equates to a salary of about 40k. Ironically, I don't make much more than that now anyway in my current full-time job, so it's quite the dilemma.

Given that I'll only be able to marginally increase my odds at cheaper schools next year (157 LSAT to maybe 160 or better), it becomes one of those decisions that you could see yourself regretting not doing and also doing.

60k isn't a conservative starting salary, to be frank. There are a lot of people leaving law school making significantly less than that. If you eliminate Bay Street jobs, you're looking at starting salaries of ~$80,000 on the high end, with the bulk of shops paying $40-60,000. 

There's absolutely no way I would go $200,000 into debt for Windsor Dual. There are a billion different jobs out there with lower barriers to entry and good pay. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

There's absolutely no way I would go $200,000 into debt for Windsor Dual. There are a billion different jobs out there with lower barriers to entry and good pay. 

This is very true. Going 200k into debt for Windsor Dual or any law degree should not be done with haste. If that means you need to reapply I would consider it @haveblue