Sign in to follow this  
earthman

Out of town on Call Day?

I'm a 2L and am planning on taking a course internationally this May that I will get credit for in 3L. While doing a bit of articling research yesterday, I realized Call Day falls on the day after that course ends—meaning I'll either be on a plane that day, or still in a country with an ~8 hour time difference.

Has anybody been similarly out of reach on Call Day, and if so how did you handle it? My only thought at this point in time is maybe putting a note in each cover letter I send out requesting to be contacted by email instead...but I'm not sure how that would be received.

Another option, I guess, is cancelling the trip. I haven't bought my flight tickets yet (which is the majority of the cost), but I have sunk a bit of money into it in the form of applications and such, and would obviously really rather not have to do that.

Any tips appreciated!

Book your flight for after call day (or call hour really because the calls are over very quickly, in Toronto anyway), get yourself a roaming package for your cell phone and either stay up late or get up early to account for the time difference. Not a big deal if you plan ahead.

I'm a 2L and am planning on taking a course internationally this May that I will get credit for in 3L. While doing a bit of articling research yesterday, I realized Call Day falls on the day after that course ends—meaning I'll either be on a plane that day, or still in a country with an ~8 hour time difference.

Has anybody been similarly out of reach on Call Day, and if so how did you handle it? My only thought at this point in time is maybe putting a note in each cover letter I send out requesting to be contacted by email instead...but I'm not sure how that would be received.

Another option, I guess, is cancelling the trip. I haven't bought my flight tickets yet (which is the majority of the cost), but I have sunk a bit of money into it in the form of applications and such, and would obviously really rather not have to do that.

Any tips appreciated!

Do you have a cell phone?  Just arrange your flight so you're not in the air on call day, give them your cell number and make sure you're someplace with decent cell reception.  Seems to be a manageable problem. 

Isn't call day generally call hour? At least in Ontario, that's my experience.

I was hoping to avoid the phone thing somehow, because frankly I don't trust my cell provider to not screw me over on roaming charges—and also I don't know what reception will be like—but I guess that does seem like the easiest solution overall. Thanks folks.

Well, you can definitely email them in advance to let them know that you're out of the country, but that you intend to answer your phone and schedule an interview with them. 

Any tips appreciated!

Do you have a family member or friend you could trust to schedule your interviews for you?

You could put their # down on your application or, alternatively, leave your phone with them. They could pick up the phone for you for that hour and do your scheduling.

You may want to leave them w/ general instructions re: which firms/gov't agencies you're most interested in, which you want to schedule early in the morning, etc., but all Call Days tend to be a blur and few people end up with their "optimal" schedule regardless.

Edited by SophiaCollins188

Book your flight for after call day (or call hour really because the calls are over very quickly, in Toronto anyway), get yourself a roaming package for your cell phone and either stay up late or get up early to account for the time difference. Not a big deal if you plan ahead.

This is the best suggestion

• Like 1