KantLockemeout

Not interested in Business Law

I was accepted to Western Last week, and it is currently my top choice (over Manitoba). I know that Western has a major focus on Business Law but offers other streams like International Law and Government and Public Administration. I have never intended to go into business law (My undergrad was in history and Political Science) but I do intend to work in Toronto. I know that Western has fantastic placement rates for Toronto firms but I don't know how relevant that would be for someone like me who has very little interest in working on Bay Street. Could anyone tell me more about the non-business streams at Western and whether they are equally strong programs? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I'm not a Western student so I can't speak from experience. 

I wouldn't get caught up in the streams. Those are just to give students guidance regarding courses they might want to take to gain knowledge within a certain areas of law. You don't have to do one, they just help guide your interest.

Now, if you're just asking if Western will be able to provide you with a strong legal education in areas other than business law, then Western students will be able to chime in but I think that Western is a great school with strong faculty in many areas. 

I can't give you any sort of answer, but I'm in the same position myself!

Edit: (except I haven't gotten in...)

Edited by rih

Western 3L here - there are a TON of students who aren't interested in business law. Don't let that deter you. If my small group from 1L is representative of the overall student body, I'd say only about half are business law oriented. Is half more than the proportion at other schools? Maybe. But there's still a huge proportion of the class that has no interest in business law or Bay Street. You will not be disadvantaged.

Edited by Caracol
  • Like 2

Western 3L here - there are a TON of students who aren't interested in business law. Don't let that deter you. If my small group from 1L is representative of the overall student body, I'd say only about half are business law oriented. Is half more than the proportion at other schools? Maybe. But there's still a huge proportion of the class that has no interest in business law or Bay Street. You will not be disadvantaged.

That's great to hear thank you!

Also as a 3L at Western, I'll echo what Caracol said: Western is a great fit for students with a variety of interests. To obtain a better idea, have a look at the curricular streams offered by Western Law: http://law.uwo.ca/future_students/curricular_streams/index.html

I don't even think there's a majority interest in business law; you'll find that most people don't even really know what they want for certain (and that's completely okay).

• Like 1

good news for you then, Western is interviewing 2 new deans of law, neither of whom have a business background (current dean was all business background)

so you can expect some sort of shift to a less of a focus on business law

also there are several people not interested in business law currently here, it isn't something to worry about

good news for you then, Western is interviewing 2 new deans of law, neither of whom have a business background (current dean was all business background)

so you can expect some sort of shift to a less of a focus on business law

also there are several people not interested in business law currently here, it isn't something to worry about

Do you know any of the reasons they are replacing the dean?

It's nothing bad.. I think he's leaving for personal reasons.

• Like 1

The Dean's term was up and he elected not to stay on, and yes, it was for very personal reasons.

• Like 2

His wife was diagnosed with brain cancer so he is choosing not to return to my knowledge

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 1

I wouldn't focus on the streams they're not particularly relevant to the experience as a whole. You're right that the school is largely recognized as a business law school, and from my experience the majority of my classmates are interested in some sort of corporate law career, however, as a student who is not interested in that at all I've actually found it to be a huge advantage! My background in poli-sci has helped me beat the curve in public law courses, and I've been able to take advantage of a ton of the resources that the bis law kids aren't interested in. There are a ton of profs who have careers/specialize in public law and they're always open to having you crash their lunch hour and suck all the advice out of them. A ton of profs have also clerked for the SCC or other various courts and provide a lot of insight into the process if its something you're interested in. There are also a ton of courses that are social justice/history/politically focused so in terms of the education it won't be too much different than any other school and the profs are AMAZING. There are also a ton of groups and clubs to join, conferences to attend, events, moots, jobs etc. that are not at all focused on business law that you can take advantage of. 

Even though the school does have this rep you really don't feel that when you're here! So far I've found it to be the perfect environment to help me jump start a public law career! 

• Like 4