Sign in to follow this  
amb

request for reference letter - not from my academic references

Does anyone know if it is common for UVIC admissions to request a letter of reference from a supervisor (in this case the lawyer 'I work most closely with') at your place of employment when the references you listed were academic references as you are still in your undergrad?

I just received this request and, as they didn't ask for reference letters from the start, am a little thrown off. I have already been accepted to UBC and Dalhousie, both of which I consider a better fit for me going forward, and so if I have no intention of accepting an offer from UVIC should I receive one is it worth it to waste the time of my lawyer and further time of the admissions committee?

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience?

did you apply as a mature/access candidate? i think you're required to submit ref letters if you did - oops just read the part where you mention that you're still in undergrad...

Edited by rachelzane4050

It's interesting because I applied through the regular applicant category, which is why I'm a little confused. I haven't heard of this happening to regular applicants, and it would seem a little strange if it was just me...

Edited by amb

If you have no intention of accepting the offer it is abundantly obvious that getting the letter is not worth anyones time. Sometimes I genuinely wonder about some of the comments on this site.

If you have no intention of accepting the offer it is abundantly obvious that getting the letter is not worth anyones time. Sometimes I genuinely wonder about some of the comments on this site.

There's no need to be nasty about it. My thought was perhaps it's in contemplation of a potential scholarship, which I understand is a little presumptive, and so I was curious if anyone else had experienced something similar.

• Like 1

There's no need to be nasty about it. My thought was perhaps it's in contemplation of a potential scholarship, which I understand is a little presumptive, and so I was curious if anyone else had experienced something similar.

If money is a concern for someone a significant scholarship could lead them to reconsider a school they were previously not particularly interested in.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

• Like 5

If money is a concern for someone a significant scholarship could lead them to reconsider a school they were previously not particularly interested in.

Thanks exactly it, thank you.

• Like 1

Yes, I understand that. In fact, that makes perfect sense. I don't think the best way of conveying that interest is by saying "I have already been accepted to UBC and Dalhousie, both of which I consider a better fit for me going forward, so if I have no intention of accepting an offer from UVIC should I receive one is it worth it to waste the time of my lawyer and further time of the admissions committee? 

If money is a concern for someone, the above passage is a very odd way of conveying that message. I mean, it literally does not even mention a scholarship, money concerns, anything.