Sign in to follow this  
ReasonablePerson

Calgary 1L Recruit Thread

They were supposedly sending emails out starting today. 

Thanks! Yep, I can confirm that as well.

Was just getting a bit antsy after hearing from some of the others but not BD&P until today.

Has anyone heard from Torys?

I got an email from Torys last Wednesday. Submitted my application mid-January. 

Wondering if anyone has heard from Norton-Rose yet.

Edited by CalEdtransplant
  • Like 1

I got interviews from Blakes and Norton Rose. I haven't heard from others aside from Osler (waitlist?). I submitted my application at the last day and I'm not sure the status of other law firms. Did anyone hear from Stikeman Elliott yet?

I got interviews from Blakes and Norton Rose. I haven't heard from others aside from Osler (waitlist?). I submitted my application at the last day and I'm not sure the status of other law firms. Did anyone hear from Stikeman Elliott yet?

Stikeman sent out all interviews last week and this week i believe; Osler did as well.

BDP, Miller, Bennett Jones, Blakes have all sent out their first round at least. 

Stikeman sent out all interviews last week and this week i believe; Osler did as well.

BDP, Miller, Bennett Jones, Blakes have all sent out their first round at least. 

Has anyone heard back from Field Law (Calgary office)?

Has anyone heard back from Field Law (Calgary office)?

Yes, I heard from them yesterday. They were scheduling for the 22nd so I assumed that they had filled up the 21st already. Though I may be wrong. 

• Like 1

In case anyone is interested in some numbers I learned today:

Torys: interviewing 14, hiring 1.

Osler: interviewing 30ish, hiring 2.

Fasken: interviewing 30ish, hiring 2 maybe 3.

If someone didn't hear anything back yet after the interview yesterday, I am guessing the person didn't get selected for the second interview? How do you know whether you are still a strong candidate when you're in the blank?

Edited by CarbolicSmoke

If someone didn't hear anything back yet after the interview yesterday, I am guessing the person didn't get selected for the second interview? How do you know whether you are still a strong candidate when you're in the blank?

Be proactive and follow up. Send thankyou emails expressing how much you loved talking about xyz and mention that you'd love to come back to meet more people from z practice group. Worse case scenario you get told no but I don't think it can hurt and certainly might help if you were a borderline candidate. Take with grain of salt because this is my Toronto oci advice. Calgary may have different norms

Will we be receiving rejections on Friday too? I know some firms send out rejections before Friday, but I am curious whether we just won't hear anything at all on Friday if we don't get an offer after 5:00. This wait is killing me, and I was just curious if if I hadn't received a rejection yet, whether that was a good sign that I am still in the running.

I know every firm may be different, but I was just curious what other's had heard.

Good luck to everyone today! If you don't get a job, you won't hear anything. Sometimes people think about offers and eventually decline so stay by your phone for a little while in case they call late. It's not the end of the world if you don't get a job, you're only in 1L - there's plenty of other opportunities!

• Like 3

How long should we wait before we should start drinking?

I hate to be the one to break it, but you should likely already be drunk

• Like 2