Sign in to follow this  
HopefulLawyer96

Accepted to Alberta 2017

With either formula my stats should have been on par with other people admitted but i'm not sure

Just in terms of the stats of ppl who were accepted yesterday

But yeah you're right I guess we don't really know

Edited by Arcadefire1

With either formula my stats should have been on par with other people admitted but i'm not sure

Just in terms of the stats of ppl who were accepted yesterday

But yeah you're right I guess we don't really know

I wouldn't rely too heavily on the numbers posted here. Many people post using their OLSAS L2 or another school's calculation. I've contacted many posters with identical stats to mine, only to find out they're using a different scale and their GPA is actually higher than what's posted, which might explain what you're seeing. Alberta has a very specific way of calculating your GPA (in terms of including entire sessions and not stopping halfway through a session,etc.), and I don't think everyone is aware of this.

Anyhow, good luck. Let's leave this thread for accepted posts now. PM me if you want. 

Not to throw off this thread but just some info for anyone waiting still. Heather emailed me back saying the first wave is expected to be done by end of Feb. So if you haven't heard yet and your stats are solid compared to those posted don't freak out yet (as I did haha).

I just got the email from Heather for those who are worried about getting the call with no email (beartracks is still not updated).

• Like 1

I got my email too! Now I officially feel like im in. Good luck to the rest of you that are waiting. I am sure youre not far behind!

Some shockingly low stats, especially this early in the acceptance cycle. What is going on at the U of A?

hey hey where are the shockingly low stats? lol chill out. 

Edited by 0Lol

hey hey where are the shockingly low stats? lol chill out. 

Do you really want me to point them all out? I mean, a 153 LSAT? That is insane, especially given the point we are at in the cycle. 3.9/154...I could go on. 

Edited by beentheredonethat4

Do you really want me to point them all out? I mean, a 153 LSAT? That is insane, especially given the point we are at in the cycle. 

Yeah but that person had a 4.0. At least three people got in last year with those exact same states and 2 others got in with a lower GPA. And that's not even including those who got in via the holistic review.

Edit: And I don't think anyone is asking you to scour the thread to identify which applicants you don't think should have been accepted just yet (or at all).

Edited by Imposter
  • Like 2

Yeah but that person had a 4.0. At least three people got in last year with those exact same states and 2 others got in with a lower GPA. And that's not even including those who got in via the holistic review.

Edit: And I don't think anyone is asking you to scour the thread to identify which applicants you don't think should have been accepted just yet (or at all).

yes, and those people were on the low end of stats last year, which would mean they received acceptance near or at the end of the cycle. 

That'd be me with the 153. I agree it is so damn low and definitely an unexpected result for me. I'd just like to point out that about 5 people got in with equal stats based on numbers alone last cycle, which was arguably an extremely competitive cycle. Also, the year before, people got in with 4.0 and even lower than 153 - also based on strictly stats.

I agree it is early, though. 

Extremely competitive cycle...flash back about 6 years my friend...when gaining entrance to law school was actually competitive. I guess I am a bit alarmed with the fact that people are getting into law school with lower LSAT scores than 153. 

Last cycle someone with 4.0 and 155 got an offer in mid-December. Offers were then given at 4.0+153 and THEN I believe they were lowered toward the end of the cycle, with offers given to 3.9+153. It's not that low. 

I dont know how you could sat that is "not that low." Id wager that such applicants might get into 1 or 2 other law schools in Canada. The extreme LSAT/GPA formula the U of A uses is very favourable to those with splitter stats. 

Extremely competitive cycle...flash back about 6 years my friend...when gaining entrance to law school was actually competitive. I guess I am a bit alarmed with the fact that people are getting into law school with lower LSAT scores than 153. 

Come on; this isn't the place for that discussion if it's one you want to have. 

I dont know how you could sat that is "not that low." Id wager that such applicants might get into 1 or 2 other law schools in Canada. The extreme LSAT/GPA formula the U of A uses is very favourable to those with splitter stats. 

Canadian schools generally are friendly towards students who split high GPA/low LSAT, unlike their American counterparts which tend to favour the reverse (no Canadian school is genuinely favourable to traditional 'splitters' with low GPAs and high LSATs).

A 3.5/153 could reasonably be described as low, but a 3.9,or a 4.0 forgives a lot of sins in a lot of Canadian schools.

• Like 1

Do you really want me to point them all out? I mean, a 153 LSAT? That is insane, especially given the point we are at in the cycle. 3.9/154...I could go on. 

Don't hate the player, hate the game. U of A uses an index and in their eyes a 4.0 153 is the same as a 3.7 160.

• Like 7

Don't mean to drag this discussion on, but I have to drop my 2 cents in. I have a hard time understanding some of the confusion from beentheredonethat. A 3.9 or a 4.0 GPA is WAY harder to achieve than a 160+ LSAT score. Give people time and they will achieve a 160+ score, as long as they're in the ballpark with their initial scores. The people getting in with 150+ LSAT scores can all achieve the 160+ with time. How many people who graduated with a 3.7 GPA can say the same (provided they can go back in time and redo their degree or start a new one)? To get a 3.9 or a 4.0 GPA you can't f. up! One B grade in your last 60 credits and you have to pretty much nail all other 19 courses with A's and A+'s.

Congrats to all the people who got in. Hopefully I can say the same next year when I finally get to apply.  

• Like 1