Sign in to follow this  
pennyh7

Waitlisted at Calgary 2017

Added to the waitlist yesterday

CGPA: 3.42

L2: 3.48 (Calgary calculations)

LSAT: 158 (highest)

My L2 dips in to some poor marks from second year to account for the last 60 credits. My L2 for full time study (i.e 3rd and 4th year) is approx 3.55.

Relatively poor stats but I did submit documentation for special circumstances. OK/below average EC's, good LORs and personal statement.

I got added to waitlist in December.

CGPA: 3.65

L2: 3.76

LSAT: 165

Fairly strong EC's, probably pretty average LOR.

Great LSAT and GPA. I wonder what prevented them from offering you a spot. Maybe your ECs, volunteer or work experiences aren't as impressive as other candidates at this point. Are you set on the U of C?   

0Lol -- my EC's are fairly decent, or so I thought. President of a few organizations within my university but all of my EC's took part through these organizations so maybe that played a part. Not too sure.

I'm not 100% set on U of C but it is definitely a front runner. I've been accepted to UVic and Usask, also great schools, so I'm not stressing it too much.

Perplexed by those on the waitlist... look like slam dunks for many schools, while some candidates I'd assume would receive admission later on are already in. Looks like Calgary truly is holistic in their approach.

Waitlisted today, McGill undergrad with B2 3.4 and LSAT 161. Decent extra-curriculars and volunteer experience.

Edited by Martlet2017

Perplexed by those on the waitlist... look like slam dunks for many schools, while some candidates I'd assume would receive admission later on are already in. Looks like Calgary truly is holistic in their approach.

I once heard U of C's admission process described as a "black hole." I've gotten the sense from lurking these boards that they REALLY like candidates with professional experience, not just work experience. I also have a feeling in regards to ECs that they favour type over volume.

But yeah, whether I'm right or totally wrong, it's definitely a holistic, and competitive, approach.

• Like 1

I was accepted off the waitlist today!

congrats! are you accepting? 

I once heard U of C's admission process described as a "black hole." I've gotten the sense from lurking these boards that they REALLY like candidates with professional experience, not just work experience. I also have a feeling in regards to ECs that they favour type over volume.

But yeah, whether I'm right or totally wrong, it's definitely a holistic, and competitive, approach.

haha what do you mean by "black hole"? 

Edited by 0Lol

haha what do you mean by "black hole"? 

Haha Yes, perhaps black box might have been a better term! But the overall feeling of opaqueness stays the same.

I got the waitlist email February 3rd. I was wondering, however, if I was sent a personalized message or if they sent everyone the same generic email. The email stated that the Committee was "favourably impressed" with my application but that they weren't ready to extend an offer at this time. Did everyone get this same message?

I got the waitlist email February 3rd. I was wondering, however, if I was sent a personalized message or if they sent everyone the same generic email. The email stated that the Committee was "favourably impressed" with my application but that they weren't ready to extend an offer at this time. Did everyone get this same message?

Exactly the same

I got waitlisted awhile back 3.33 L2, 160 LSAT, great EC's and LoR's from a former prof and the founder of the organization I have volunteered with for 4 years

Waitlisted today! UCalgary is my top school so here's hoping.

LSAT: 154, 156

CGPA: 3.76

L2 GPA: 3.71 (I think I calculated that right)

EC: Over a year at an Immigration Non-Profit helping dispense legal policy changes, involved in parish council, speak English, French and Spanish

Letters: Solid one from prof, another solid one from Partner at Gowling WLG/Former law teacher at UofC (also well known in the community for other stuff, but I'll protect his privacy)

My pitfall was definitely the LSAT.

• Like 1