Sign in to follow this  
lawofthermodynamics

Accepted at McGill 2017

I've been called in for a 20-25 minute interview with two faculty members later this week. Is that something they do a lot for university applicants? I hope it means I'll have an answer soon.

• GPA: 3.1/4.3
  • Graduate: STEM master's and PhD from France, master's GPA equivalent to 4.0 per McGill's "International credentials and grade equivalencies"
  • LSAT: 166
  • EC: academic stuff during the PhD
  • Letter: bilingual, discussing interrelated aspects of technology and law, not a clue whether it is any good
Has anyone been in such an interview?

My understanding is that usually interviews are for "mature" applicants (I recall his being people out of undergrad for 5+ years), and students who are currently in Cégep. I think it's rare for others. It would probably mean you are being considered but that there's something they're unsure about/want to clarify, if you're in the regular admissions category.

Good luck either way! Rooting for you.

• Like 1

Well done, everyone! Congratulations. :)

I don't mean to poop on a moment that is clearly yours to enjoy. But while it's normal--and expected--to be overjoyed, please remember that for every acceptance, seven or eight persons out there may have no good news to share with loved ones. I suppose what I am saying is that sometimes, a little emotional sobriety can go a long way.

Again, be proud. Your acceptance is a testament of your hard work and merit, and no one can take that away.

Rejoice. Revel. Rest. Relax.

Yes very true, I was super surprised and posted in a hurry - might have come off a bit stronger than intended  :blush:

I'm rooting for all of you! it seems McGill has started slowly breaking the radio silence - There is hope yet, bon courage à tous et à toutes !!!

• Like 1

This is so exciting for you ! Bravo !!! Do you know which you will go with ?

Thank you! I'm leaning more towards McGill, need to sort out logistics though before I can commit entirely. 

My understanding is that usually interviews are for "mature" applicants (I recall his being people out of undergrad for 5+ years), and students who are currently in Cégep. I think it's rare for others. It would probably mean you are being considered but that there's something they're unsure about/want to clarify, if you're in the regular admissions category.

Good luck either way! Rooting for you.

Thank you!

In case it would be helpful to someone else: I had my interview, and it was indeed an interview for university applicants. They explained to me it's not unusual for people with advanced degrees that aren't somehow related to law or for people with more professional experience.

Basically, the impression I got is that they are interested in my application, but want to make sure I know where I'm going with it so that I don't give up the degree after being admitted. The interview flew like a conversation—where I did most of the talking—so I may forget a few questions. They asked me:

1. Why I wanted to study law after a STEM PhD and how that fits together.
  2. What is my current occupation.
  3. How can I be sure that I won't find it tedious to start over an undergraduate degree with lectures, readings, etc. after a PhD.
  4. How will I finance my studies.
  5. Why do I want to study law specifically at McGill.

One faculty member was anglophone and the other was francophone. I think they might have taken advantage of the interview to squeeze in a small bilingualism test because at first they asked question in their respective language. I answered in whichever language I was spoken to and the anglophone faculty soon switched to speaking French—which is the language I'm more comfortable in.

I answered their questions honestly, insisting as much as possible that I knew what I was doing and that it made sense. I also told them that I took six law classes in FÉP this semester to make sure I knew what I was getting into and that it was really what I wanted, which I hope made a favourable impression. (I realise I am privileged to have the time, money and French knowledge required to make this.)

They told me they'd write a report for the admission committee, which I understand they are not a part of, and that the committee would take their decision in the next weeks.

Hope this will be useful for someone, and good luck to all!

Edited by vdl
  • Like 5

Hi Guys, 

I am kinda freaking out here... I am an IP candidate, 3.72/4.0 in pharmacology at Mcgill. Tons of EC from high school through uni, published author, worked part-time and 4 internships in the pharma industry. I think I have two very strong letter of reference and a good personal narrative (that's what my IP law teacher told me).

No news from Mcgill....no acceptance, no rejection.

WHAT IS GOING ON...MCGILL YOU ARE KILLING ME. Any advice?

Thanks x)

Accepted: March 6th 

French Interview: March 3rd 

GPA: ~3.8/4 

No LSAT

Only law school applied to 

EC: very science based (was planning on med school) 

Fourth year of undergrad 

Letter of EC: submitted (to account for one term without full course load)

Hope this information helps! 

This is crazy! Still can't believe it, I guess it might be meant to be? 

• Like 1

Congrats! You say that your EC were science based and you were planning med school. What program did you apply form (was it science) and also what made you change your mind about med school?

Accepted: March 6th

French Interview: March 3rd

GPA: ~3.8/4

No LSAT

Only law school applied to

EC: very science based (was planning on med school)

Fourth year of undergrad

Letter of EC: submitted (to account for one term without full course load)

Hope this information helps!

This is crazy! Still can't believe it, I guess it might be meant to be?

Congrats! You say that your EC were science based and you were planning med school. What program did you apply form (was it science) and also what made you change your mind about med school?

Yeah, I applied from a science program! I kind of applied to both med and law, and I got rejected from med. So I guess maybe it worked out in the end? Maybe I'm more suited for law afterall

Edited by alwayshungry

Yeah, I applied from a science program! I kind of applied to both med and law, and I got rejected from med. So I guess maybe it worked out in the end? Maybe I'm more suited for law afterall

Amazing! Good for you :) I never realized just how many people applying to law might be from a science undergrad ! Interesting!! 

By any chance did any of you write the french entrance at U de m ? If you applied to law there as well . Thank you

By any chance did any of you write the french entrance at U de m ? If you applied to law there as well . Thank you

Do you mean the TFA (or TFI)? If by any chance you haven't found it yet, here is the relevant information from Université de Montréal's CCE (in French), and here is the relevant information from the company that makes the test (in English), including a sample test. (The first section of the test is about understanding people speaking, and unfortunately they don't provide MP3s or something you can download, so it isn't that helpful.) You need a score of 785/990.

The way I understand it, Université de Montréal selects students strictly based on academic results, so I would assume getting 785 on the test is just as good as getting 990.

Do you mean the TFA (or TFI)? If by any chance you haven't found it yet, here is the relevant information from Université de Montréal's CCE (in French), and here is the relevant information from the company that makes the test (in English), including a sample test. (The first section of the test is about understanding people speaking, and unfortunately they don't provide MP3s or something you can download, so it isn't that helpful.) You need a score of 785/990.

The way I understand it, Université de Montréal selects students strictly based on academic results, so I would assume getting 785 on the test is just as good as getting 990.

Thank you !

I did the TFI already and actually this is the 2nd part of french test .it's for the university to assess your french level. It doesn't affect admission to the program .

Accepted two weeks ago, with a French interview (which was very simple and easy). 165 LSAT, very low undergraduate GPA (2.02), but 3.7 graduate GPA. International student, but from the US, so not sure if that quite counts the same way. 

Edited by andtheseashalltell
  • Like 1

Accepted two weeks ago, with a French interview (which was very simple and easy). 165 LSAT, very low undergraduate GPA (2.02), but 3.7 graduate GPA. International student, but from the US, so not sure if that quite counts the same way. 

I'm happy for you, and also happy for myself that it's possible to be admitted with a crappy undergraduate GPA but good graduate studies and a good LSAT!

For those of you who have been accepted in December, January and February, what is the deadline to accept your offer? 

One of the people I know from this site that has been accepted (gerwulf) told me that on his offer it said April 1st. He was among the firsts to be accepted so I guess it should be the same for the others..

Hopefully more offers will be send out after this date!

• Like 1

For those of you who have been accepted in December, January and February, what is the deadline to accept your offer?

December admit, have until April 1st to accept.

If you don't mind me asking, how much time passed between your French interview & your acceptance? 

Also, congrats! :)

Edited by tor2424

Accepted a while ago
GPA  : 3.9X/4
LSAT : 17X
Decent softs

Also, do we have to confirm our acceptance before we can join the facebook group ?

Edited by youarefakenews
  • Like 1

Accepted today after my French test phone call yesterday evening. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.48

Grad GPA: 3.9

LSAT: 167

Mature candidate