pele24

Articling -sole practitioner - salary range

12 minutes ago, thegoodlaw said:

I'm not sure about that.

There is a shortage of articling positions in Ontario and soles are critically important in creating more positions. They may not be very well paying, but at least the student gets some valuable experience out of it (hopefully). Setting a minimum wage can potentially take out a lot of positions.

I will also point out that as a sole you're also paying for rent, legal assistants, supplies, internet/phone, etc etc before you even get to the student's wage. So let's be careful about pronouncing what an appropriate wage might be without fully knowing about the circumstances of a particular lawyer.

I'm well aware of the overhead involved in running a practice. 

TBH, I'm  not concerned in the slightest about a shortage of articling positions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

I'm well aware of the overhead involved in running a practice. 

TBH, I'm  not concerned in the slightest about a shortage of articling positions. 

Interesting.

In that case, I would say the LSOERS should abolish articling, and impose labour standards for lawyers (who obviously aren't business owners running their own firm). Then if what the society consider a competent law grads want, they can enter the market as a sole and try to make it on their own, without being constricted from it by articling. Let the market decide, once you've determined competence.

Before anyone screams bloody murder about poor representation, it seems our cousins down south are doing just fine without imposing the additional hurdle. If there really are concerns, put the elements of that hurdle as an imposition with the bar exam and/or law school curricula.

Ooh, are we going to debate articling and the articling crisis again? That’s my favourite topic! 

In all seriousness, I’m probably with @QuincyWagstaff for the most part. I certainly wouldn’t article for less than ~$2500 (maybe I’d go down to $2,000), but I’m also in the position to be able to say that. 

The “crisis” doesn’t bother me much. Law students are supposedly smart people. They went to law school of their own volition, and any failure to adequately research job prospects is their own fault. I have little sympathy for “smart” people who act dumb and then ask society to bail them out. 

But I’m also cynical and have a fair bit of disdain for law students, so I’m a bit biased. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Ooh, are we going to debate articling and the articling crisis again? That’s my favourite topic! 

[...]

I certainly wouldn’t article for less than ~$2500 (maybe I’d go down to $2,000), but I’m also in the position to be able to say that. 

[...]

The “crisis” doesn’t bother me much. Law students are supposedly smart people.

.....Didn't you just finish 1L?

Edited by beyondsection17
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

If they are a successful defence lawyer doing legal aid by choice, I think they should be able to cherry pick the more lucrative major trials, and still pay 2500 plus mileage. 

That's a floor I would set for articling wages. 

a) most defence lawyers, even successful ones, don't do legal aid by "choice" and turn down fee paying clients for it. The reality is that most clients available to most defence lawyers have only legal aid as an option and then there are the many clients who don't qualify for legal aid and have limited cash

b) it is not that easy to "cherry pick" more lucrative trials, even for successful lawyers. Those clients still have to request you out of all the counsel out there

c) $2,500 a month consistently is a lot for a lot of soles - it is very doable for a small practice - 3 or 4 lawyers with good practices should be able to swing that and an assistant - we do - but for one lawyer, there could be some slow months when that is tough to do.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, providence said:

a) most defence lawyers, even successful ones, don't do legal aid by "choice" and turn down fee paying clients for it. The reality is that most clients available to most defence lawyers have only legal aid as an option and then there are the many clients who don't qualify for legal aid and have limited cash

b) it is not that easy to "cherry pick" more lucrative trials, even for successful lawyers. Those clients still have to request you out of all the counsel out there

c) $2,500 a month consistently is a lot for a lot of soles - it is very doable for a small practice - 3 or 4 lawyers with good practices should be able to swing that and an assistant - we do - but for one lawyer, there could be some slow months when that is tough to do.

I was basing it on the hypo in the comment I was responding to. 

Those lawyers should either share a student or provide split articles. 

I'm not intersted in creating articling positions for poverty wages under broke sole practitioners. 

41 minutes ago, beyondsection17 said:

.....Didn't you just finish 1L?

That's enough time to have both a job and a poor view of law students. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

That's enough time to have both a job and a poor view of law students. 

Maybe section17 was suggesting I’ll like law students by the end of 3L? 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Well, you'll probably see a lot less of them, so that may attenuate your dislike. 

But I wouldn't go further than that. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I think it was fairly clear what I was suggesting.  If I had a dime for every 1L I met who "wasn't bothered by the articling crisis" (either because of their delusions of grandeur about their odds at the 2L recruit, or their inflated egos from having secured a 1L job at Blakes or SK),  I'd have paid off my student loans by now.

Edited by beyondsection17
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, beyondsection17 said:

I think it was fairly clear what I was suggesting.  If I had a dime for every 1L I met who "wasn't bothered by the articling crisis" (either because of their delusions of grandeur about their odds at the 2L recruit, or their inflated egos from having secured a 1L job at Blakes or SK),  I'd have paid off my student loans by now.

I haven’t been bothered by the articling crisis since before I started law school. I have neither the time nor the energy to sit around fretting about supposedly smart people who regret their choices because they failed to adequately research them. Nor do I have the patience for the level of entitlement necessary to label fairly typical post-grad employment rates a "crisis". 

It’s the same reason I have no patience for the graduate students and post-docs who whine endlessly about the fact that they’ll never get tenure. They knew schools were shifting to contract faculty. They knew graduate students are a dime a dozen these days. If they ignored those signs and went for it anyways, that’s on them. 

It all boils down to the same thing: I have little sympathy for “smart” people who act dumb, fail to research their career path, and then ask society to bail them out. There are a billion things in this world that are more concerning than "smart" people making dumb choices.

• Like 2

I think it is entirely reasonable to recognize something dissonant in a system where the education of law is separated from the licensing and practice of law. 

That this system more or less worked for a very long time does not mean that it is the right one. 

To say that you have "no time" for this discussion strikes me as rather callous.  

1 minute ago, easttowest said:

I think it is entirely reasonable to recognize something dissonant in a system where the education of law is separated from the licensing and practice of law. 

That this system more or less worked for a very long time does not mean that it is the right one. 

To say that you have "no time" for this discussion strikes me as rather callous.  

I'm more than happy to discuss changes to the system. If there are strong reasons for abolishing articling and setting up some alternate form of licensing, I'm happy to listen to them. 

What I don't have time for is all the hand-wringing on the articling "crisis". The fact that "smart" people failed to do their research and now want society (or their peers, in the case of the LPP) to bail them out is not a compelling reason to change the articling system. 

It is callous, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, easttowest said:

Even if an argument could be made that the education and licencing of law should be done hand in hand, you are just kicking the problem down the road. 

What is now termed an "articling crisis" will just become a "jobs crisis" 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OWH said:

Even if an argument could be made that the education and licencing of law should be done hand in hand, you are just kicking the problem down the road. 

What is now termed an "articling crisis" will just become a "jobs crisis" 

Not if you restrict the seats. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, easttowest said:

Ok comrade.

Who is going to be the one that decides how many law students to admit to law school? Or maybe the LSO should restrict the number of L1 licences they issue each year? 

It is not the law schools' responsibility to ensure you have a job after you graduate. Nor is not the regulator's responsibility to ensure you make a living from your licence. Bear in mind that the Law Society's mandate is protection of the public. 

No one else in the world gets a guaranteed job for life just because they have passed a course of study or been issued a licence, why should lawyers? 

• Like 4

Just now, OWH said:

No one else in the world gets a guaranteed job for life just because they have passed a course of study or been issued a licence, why should lawyers? 

This is an extreme version of my position, and not anything that I suggested. 

Allowing law schools to charge, essentially, whatever the market will bear to however many students they can reasonably fit in the building for a law degree and then punting the licensing requirement to mostly private bodies who may not be hiring doesn't strike me as particularly well thought-out. 

Add to that the influx of foreign-trained graduates and you have our articling "crisis." 

If all of this strikes you as perfectly fine and normal and good, then we'll never agree. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OWH said:

Ok comrade.

"when professionals form strict cartels thats commulism"

hmm

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, easttowest said:

The only reasons to restrict seats in law school are: (i) protectionism; and (ii) paternalism. The legal profession and society are already protected from incompetence by the licensing process, so further protectionism at the admissions stage is redundant. That leaves paternalism. 

Now maybe I'm crazy here, but I don't think we should be paternalistic towards law students. These are people who likely graduated top of their class in high school, graduated near the top of their class in undergraduate and scored reasonably well on a standardized test that is a decent proxy for intelligence. They, of all people, should be the people that don't need society paternalistically guiding them through their 20s. 

If we accept that law students need to have their freedom and responsibilities restricted so that the government can guide them through their tender mid-20s, we may as well bump the age of majority to 30. Because if the supposedly smart class of people who make it to law school can't be expected to do their research and look out for their own best interests, we're all fucked. 

• Like 5