Sign in to follow this  
JuventusFan101

Toronto 2017 2L Recruitment

It's amazing to see how fast the jimmies were rustled. I made it quite clear that my data is not at all useful in determining overall hiring. Therefore, it should not be used by any applicant in determining which school to attend. In fact, it is more for people that just came out of the recruit to look back on some interesting data. It's really just out of curiosity and not some form of ranking. 

Would it make you feel any better if I titled it? How about...

Number of 2Ls Hired Through the Official LSUC November Recruit

It's not interesting, though, because it means absolutely nothing.

The "uses" that you listed are not actually practically useful. You, in fact, merely wish to gaze upon the space banana tree. To which you could respond "but it IS useful because I enjoy gazing upon the space banana tree - it satisfies my curiosities". However, we cannot hold the satisfaction of your curiosities higher than the consumption of tasty bananas here on earth.

Who cares? I welcome the fact that he made the chart to satisfy my curiosity. If you don't like it then move on. Some of us want to "gaze upon the space banana tree." You're supposed to be right now, while I'm supposed to be wrong? 

It's not interesting, though, because it means absolutely nothing.

How about you take the time to make another chart that is useful for everyone? It's funny how law students can saw a lot of things behind a screen on an online forum that they probably wouldn't have the balls to say in person. 

How about everyone take a step back, a deep breath, and if you want to continue this silly argument, that you do so in a civil manner? Okay? Okay. Thanks.

• Like 2

I completely agree with LeafsLaw that it is a useless statistic. But that being said, some people may find the useless statistic interesting.

As such, I come bearing three recommendations:
(1) That's fine if you're interested in the numbers. But scrap the percentages - they're utterly misleading.

(2) If you insist on percentages, make them reflect the situation. In eliminating the amount of 1Ls from the population of "hired" students, it would be prudent to also eliminate them from the sample population (class size). These data points, if artificially removed, should be artificially removed from the entire equation.

(3) Offering anecdotal information is useful. But incorporating it in to the statistical analysis is troubling. Statistically speaking, if Western had 2 students hired at those firms,  Queens, Oz, and Toronto probably did as well.

• Like 2

pardon me. but please if anyone has information about blaneys that would be great. based on last years thread it appears that blaneys made offer mid way through the recruit. if anyone has any information at all that would be greatly appreciated. 

pardon me. but please if anyone has information about blaneys that would be great. based on last years thread it appears that blaneys made offer mid way through the recruit. if anyone has any information at all that would be greatly appreciated. 

If you haven't received any information from your three posts here, why not just call the firm?

This thread is. in. shambles. lol

I actually don't see what the disagreement is about. So the information is presented in different ways? I would hope that by the time we have made it to law school we can interpret data on our own and won't be mislead by some percentages. I actually don't mind Leafs_law's format because I am curious to see how many 2Ls got hired through the LSUC process from various schools... not everything has to be so serious :roll:  :wink:

Edited by healthlaw
  • Like 2

Sorry if this rustles any jimmies by hurting you school's stats but this more accurately reflects the 2L November recruit. And hopefully law students can analyze the data accordingly and understand that my data does not reflect the overall hiring trends - UoT is still king.

Who cares? I welcome the fact that he made the chart to satisfy my curiosity. If you don't like it then move on. Some of us want to "gaze upon the space banana tree." You're supposed to be right now, while I'm supposed to be wrong? 

How about you take the time to make another chart that is useful for everyone? It's funny how law students can saw a lot of things behind a screen on an online forum that they probably wouldn't have the balls to say in person. 

The only way you would (or should, rather) find this information interesting is if you are categorically AGAINST getting a job for the 1L summer and ONLY want to be hired during the 2L recruit. This is a fact. So if you're dying to RA or do a fun internship during your 1L summer as opposed to earning substantial money at a firm, these numbers are for you. And you should also probably go to Western.   

• Like 2

i know of one person who was hired after a second interview. i also know of a few people who havent heard anything yet so i wouldn't read too much into it

I completely agree with LeafsLaw that it is a useless statistic. But that being said, some people may find the useless statistic interesting.

As such, I come bearing three recommendations:

(1) That's fine if you're interested in the numbers. But scrap the percentages - they're utterly misleading.

(2) If you insist on percentages, make them reflect the situation. In eliminating the amount of 1Ls from the population of "hired" students, it would be prudent to also eliminate them from the sample population (class size). These data points, if artificially removed, should be artificially removed from the entire equation.

(3) Offering anecdotal information is useful. But incorporating it in to the statistical analysis is troubling. Statistically speaking, if Western had 2 students hired at those firms,  Queens, Oz, and Toronto probably did as well.

(1)(2) I agree on the percentages. I was just keeping with the chart I had copied from.

(3) Ahh, I did feel weird adding this data because people have no reason to trust me but it is 100% accurate. S&B is on the Ultra Vires chart so I am just jumping the gun and reporting before they get the information. And DWW was excluded but they should be on the chart (see my reasoning in above post). And I welcome anyone else to report more information and hope that it is accurate. 

And for most full service firms you would be correct in assuming other schools did get hires as well. However, these IP boutiques only hire a limited number of students. Historically S&B hire one 2L and DWW hires two. 

for real

The only way you would (or should, rather) find this information interesting is if you are categorically AGAINST getting a job for the 1L summer and ONLY want to be hired during the 2L recruit. This is a fact. So if you're dying to RA or do a fun internship during your 1L summer as opposed to earning substantial money at a firm, these numbers are for you. And you should also probably go to Western.   

Incoming and potential Windsor duals will find 2L only data helpful since they're only available to participate in 2L summer recruitment. 

Anyone see the updated Summer 2017 hire list for Blakes, Norton Rose, McCarthy Tetrault, Dentons, BLG and Gowlings? 

Q: Is there anything else you'd like to share?

A: This question feels like you’re trying to get me to say “first choice.”

Definitely chuckled at this.

It was interesting reading people's experiences. Mine was quite pleasant in contrast, so I don't have any complaints myself.

That firm with the highest number of applications (Blakes - 112) has to be wrong, right? Don't the full service firms get over 500 applications?  

I would imagine that means 112 UofT students applied. Full service firms can get close to 1000 applications in total.

This entire process just stunk of racism, sexism and white privilege. Not sure why so much resources is spent on counseling students to get on Bay Street for so few spots and a toxic environment. Coming to my topic of racism, I had a lot of coloured friends, many of them immigrants or very culturally diverse, interview with strong A averages, great school involvement and work experience, great social skills and many awards who were let go in favour of students who just had connections and "fit in" better with the white-dominant culture of these firms.

P.S. This is coming from a white dude who was hired. I was forced to put on the biggest act to show these firms that I wanted to work for them when the reality was totally opposite. The guy they met during the interviews and dinners is totally different from who I actually am.

Edited by Simbaa
  • Like 2

This entire process just stunk of racism, sexism and white privilege. Not sure why so much resources is spent on counseling students to get on Bay Street for so few spots and a toxic environment. Coming to my topic of racism, I had a lot of coloured friends, many of them immigrants or very culturally diverse, interview with strong A averages, great school involvement and work experience, great social skills and many awards who were let go in favour of students who just had connections and "fit in" better with the white-dominant culture of these firms.

P.S. This is coming from a white dude who was hired. I was forced to put on the biggest act to show these firms that I wanted to work for them when the reality was totally opposite. The guy they met during the interviews and dinners is totally different from who I actually am.

Why are you taking a job you don't want? Or better, why are you taking a job you don't want while also pointing out that your friends wanted and didn't get the job you don't want.

• Like 1