Ryn

UBC GPA Calculator and Chances Predictor

On 8/9/2017 at 0:32 PM, jn9598 said:

Hi Ryn, thanks so much for your work!

I am just wondering are you sure that if a university doesn't use minus letter grades than UBC will convert A to 80%? I didn't see any words indicating this on ubc's website. 

And I am in the 4th year of a 5-year program, how many credits they will drop? 

Thank you!

I don't remember where I got the info but it wasn't a blind guess. I will try and look back at my notes and let you know. 

Hi Ryn!

I used your UBC GPA calculator, and my GPA with drops is less than my GPA without drops.

Can you account for this? Or do you know if I could then ask them not to drop...?

CGPA (without drops): 86.23
    CGPA (with drops): 85.31

On 10/11/2017 at 8:10 PM, plsacceptme said:

Hi Ryn!

I used your UBC GPA calculator, and my GPA with drops is less than my GPA without drops.

Can you account for this? Or do you know if I could then ask them not to drop...?

CGPA (without drops): 86.23
    CGPA (with drops): 85.31

I can only think that this would happen if you have too few credits. Can you PM me a list of the marks and years so I can try inputting the data myself and see what happens?

10 hours ago, Ryn said:

I can only think that this would happen if you have too few credits. Can you PM me a list of the marks and years so I can try inputting the data myself and see what happens?

will do, one second

So, I noticed that the calculator takes an A to be 85% which isn’t what the admin team told, they said it’s 86%. Which may or may not make a big difference for some people (it does for me). So can the calculator be relied upon? Also some of the other percentages are also a bit off compared to what the admin team told me!

On 8/16/2016 at 10:54 AM, Ryn said:

Hey UBCers! I didn't want you all to feel left out over there on the west coast, so in the spirit of my Ontario GPA and prediction app I made one for UBC as well.

Predictor

I was curious to see the validity of the index formula, and while I didn't really answer that question (though I intend to), I took the admissions data posted on this forum from the last few years and created a model similar to the one I made for Ontario schools. The model accurately predicted nearly 95% of past admissions data, so I'm pretty confident in it. It's also statistically significant (p <= 0.01), so the results should be meaningful.

The prediction also spits out your index score as per the formula on this site. I haven't gone ahead and tried to generate a new one or validate the old one — I will get on that at some point.

GPA Calculator

Since the rules for UBC can be a bit complicated, I took them and made a cGPA calculator. You enter your individual grades from each course, as well as the credit hours, and it generates your cumulative GPA along with one that drops the appropriate number of credits. I think it works, but since UBC's rules aren't super obvious, it may not be 100%. In any event, the purpose is to ballpark your GPA and not to give you the exact same one admissions will use to decide your file.

It considers:

• Which year of undergrad you're in (third year students and people who completed a three year degree get fewer drops than four year degree holders)
  • Whether your school gives out minus grades (when converting letter grades to percents, if your school doesn't give out minus grades, you get the lowest percent for the range; that is, at UBC an A- is 80 and if your school doesn't use minus grades, you will get 80 for an A — at least, this is my understanding)
  • How many credits is considered a typical semester course — this is used in the drop calculation.

If it's inaccurate or if any of the above assumptions are incorrect, please let me know.

Check it out:

Calculate your UBC GPA

Predict your chances

Hi Ryn, 

I had a similar problem to the above, where having too few credits caused my GPA with drops to be lower than without drops. When I apply to UBC, they will drop 6 credits and my GPA with drops should be higher, correct? I am applying in my third year, and I took 4 courses instead of 5 for a few semesters (but made up for it in the summer). Would this change the GPA calculation?

Thanks! 

Hi everyone - very sorry for my lack of replies here. I set this thread to notify me when something is posted and I think that setting got lost in the forum upgrade. 

I’ll endevour to answer stuff now, even though it may be later than you all probably wanted it to be. 

On 7/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, Heytea said:

So, I noticed that the calculator takes an A to be 85% which isn’t what the admin team told, they said it’s 86%. Which may or may not make a big difference for some people (it does for me). So can the calculator be relied upon? Also some of the other percentages are also a bit off compared to what the admin team told me!

I got the percent to letter mappings from the UBC website, and at the time it is my recollection that I translated everything correctly. I’m not in a position to check right now, but I will review the numbers I’m using and confirm that they coincide with what has been published by the school. 

Bear in mind that “relied upon” is too strong a word to describe what I would say you can do with the numbers you get from the calculator. They’re an estimate (hopefully a reasonably close one) but nothing more. Your UBC-calculated grades may differ by a little or a lot, depending on your personal circumstances. My hope is that they’ll differ only a little a majority of the time. 

On 8/23/2018 at 5:33 AM, gopz said:

Hi Ryn, 

I had a similar problem to the above, where having too few credits caused my GPA with drops to be lower than without drops. When I apply to UBC, they will drop 6 credits and my GPA with drops should be higher, correct? I am applying in my third year, and I took 4 courses instead of 5 for a few semesters (but made up for it in the summer). Would this change the GPA calculation?

Thanks! 

I intend to fix this problem because it’s obvioisly causing some issues. When I’ve made the change I’ll update you all. 

34 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

To be clear, that was 3 years ago (Nov 2015) that I asked.

Haha I can't believe we've "known" each other through this board for that long!

Anyways, I imagine it wouldn't have changed.

• Haha 1