Sign in to follow this  
newstudent5500

Concordia vs University of Manitoba [for undergrad]

Looks like there is another option at this point.

Which school would you recommend to someone who is considering law school? I'm an American freshman who is about to transfer to one of these schools from UCLA. I'm inclined to pick Concordia because of Québec's provincial nominee program that would allow me to become a Permanent Resident of Canada after graduation. However, I'm also considering Manitoba because of the law school. My end goal is to go to law school in Canada.  

I'm supposed to decide soon, so I'd really appreciate any advice you may have. 

Thanks

I don't want to say bad things about Winnipeg but I think you'd be happier if you stayed away from there.

It generally doesn't matter where you went to undergrad. Manitoba Law won't really take in to consideration if you're a graduate from there when deciding on your application.

Unless you have particular reasons to want to go to U of M, there are plenty of other great schools in Canada that may be of interest to you so you may want to consider broadening your choices.

Montreal is arguably the ultimate North American student city

- Dirt nasty cheap rents in beautiful older buildings
- Party never stops Monday through Sunday, you can go out every night of the week if you like
- Cheap and delicious food options scattered everywhere. Poutine and Lebanese are especially good
- Wonderful and affordable public transit system with student rates
- Well built-out bicycle network with a healthy number of fully separated lanes

I loved my time there!

You're considering moving from Santa Monica to Winnipeg? Dear God why

Op must have killed a man or something.

Son, I don't know what kind of punishment you're running from, but nothing can be as bad as winter in Winnipeg.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, why those two schools? Nothing particularly wrong with them (Concordia has a relutation for being a bit bolshie and your education will be disrupted everytime some student pinkos decide to go on strike ), but I can readily think of a good dozen Canadian schools with clearly better overall reputations (McGill, in Montreal, beingthe obvious one), for what little that's worth. As for manitoba, there are probably a couple of dozen cities in Canada that are more fun for a student.

Son, I don't know what kind of punishment you're running from, but nothing can be as bad as winter in Winnipeg.

Well winter in Thunder Bay is pretty bad. So I wouldn't suggest Lakehead for OP either.

Just out of curiosity, why those two schools? Nothing particularly wrong with them (Concordia has a relutation for being a bit bolshie and your education will be disrupted everytime some student pinkos decide to go on strike ), but I can readily think of a good dozen Canadian schools with clearly better overall reputations (McGill, in Montreal, beingthe obvious one), for what little that's worth. As for manitoba, there are probably a couple of dozen cities in Canada that are more fun for a student.

Concordia barely went on strike... You're thinking of Cegep de Vieux-Montréal and UQAM.

Also, depending on the program, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Concordia again.

Edited by artsydork
  • Like 1

Concordia barely went on strike... You're thinking of Cegep de Vieux-Montréal and UQAM.

Also, depending on the program, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Concordia again.

But there was also the Gaza strip stuff, the Netanyahu Riot, the corrupt student union, etc. I'm not complaining, it made my time there very entertaining. The only thing I didn't like about Concordia was the lack of Campus-Vibe (apart from Loyola). Engineering classrooms are peppered around town and you have to walk anywhere from an old Nunnery to classrooms through a bowling alley (I would stop for a beer at Sharx en-route)

Winnipeg isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The winters can be harsh, but that's the only big drawback IMO. Then again, I'm from Manitoba so I'm acclimated to harsh winters. I did my undergrad out of province and returned to MB shortly before law school and don't regret my decision to do so. Winnipeg is actually a pretty fun city and a nice place to live. The job market here is also reasonably good, whereas I've heard that it's pretty wretched in Montreal (not to mention exceedingly hard to break into if you're not fluently bilingual in French and English); so that may be something to take into account in your decision making.

Saying that the winters are bad is the only drawback is like saying Syria's great, but for the civil war. True, but beside the point.

I just found out I was accepted to U of M, so that's why I'm considering it. I guess I'm just ready to leave the U.S at this point. 

It's too late to apply to McGill. They don't accept mid year transfers. 

I just found out I was accepted to U of M, so that's why I'm considering it. I guess I'm just ready to leave the U.S at this point. 

It's too late to apply to McGill. They don't accept mid year transfers. 

I forgot to add that Manitoba also has a Provincial Nominee Program. I don't know specific details about it or how it compares to the program in Quebec, but it's probably worth looking into. On the point of the scare-mongering about the winter in Winnipeg, it's worth noting that this past winter was actually bizarrely mild. Like, fall coat weather pretty much all winter. Most days I don't think it was any worse than -10 Celsius, if that.

Edited by 2345434

I'm open to any suggestions! 

At this point, I'm in at (Concordia, Dal, and Manitoba). 

Also, I do recognize that law school admissions is solely based on LSAT/GPA. I'm just looking for a university that will help me find new opportunities. I'm planning on going to law school after 2-3 years of working the real world. 

I'm open to any suggestions! 

At this point, I'm in at (Concordia, Dal, and Manitoba). 

Also, I do recognize that law school admissions is solely based on LSAT/GPA. I'm just looking for a university that will help me find new opportunities. I'm planning on going to law school after 2-3 years of working the real world. 

If you are looking for new opportunities, it would help to find out more about what exactly you mean. If you mean opportunities in your UG field, we would need more information about what kind of studies you are doing. If you mean opportunities to meet interesting and diverse people, and expand your horizons more generally, at the risk of offending those in MB, Montreal is by far the best choice. (Never been to Halifax, so can't comment on that, but still feel MTL is your best bet).  Montreal is the country's second largest city. Having been to both Winnipeg and Montreal many times, Montreal has WAY more opportunities to explore arts, culture, city life, etc. Don't get me wrong, those things exist in Winnipeg, but the city is less than half the pop'n size, so there are way fewer options. 

• Like 1

But there was also the Gaza strip stuff, the Netanyahu Riot, the corrupt student union, etc. I'm not complaining, it made my time there very entertaining. The only thing I didn't like about Concordia was the lack of Campus-Vibe (apart from Loyola). Engineering classrooms are peppered around town and you have to walk anywhere from an old Nunnery to classrooms through a bowling alley (I would stop for a beer at Sharx en-route)

Concordia is also known as Gaza U :P But yeah, when were you there? Probably not during the Netanyahu riot. Corrupt student union? Most student unions have a history where a person stole money. Most student unions are also pretty much just handing shit back. Oh god, it was the same slate and their cronies back when I was at Concordia, but they were slightly on the right.

I was mainly on Loyola Campus and in the EV building, so I never had a class in the Faubourg. You didn't actually have to walk through Sharx to get to class :P Again, it really depends on the program. Coms hands down best decision is at Concordia. I wouldn't do physics there though.

Also, McGill is full of shit when it comes to student politics. Honestly, CSU is waaaaaay tamer than SSMU drama.

Concordia is also known as Gaza U :P But yeah, when were you there? Probably not during the Netanyahu riot. Corrupt student union? Most student unions have a history where a person stole money. Most student unions are also pretty much just handing shit back. Oh god, it was the same slate and their cronies back when I was at Concordia, but they were slightly on the right.

I was mainly on Loyola Campus and in the EV building, so I never had a class in the Faubourg. You didn't actually have to walk through Sharx to get to class :P Again, it really depends on the program. Coms hands down best decision is at Concordia. I wouldn't do physics there though.

Also, McGill is full of shit when it comes to student politics. Honestly, CSU is waaaaaay tamer than SSMU drama.

To be honest, I miss the drama sometimes...I was there 2007-2012 (couple of faculty/major changes). Eventually I settled into the SP building on Loyola and enjoyed it. I remember the Netanyahu stuff in 2002 when I was in high school, so no I wasn't there for that. As for theft, did other schools steal as much? IIRC, CSU in 2010 had their president steal $196,000 or something. Or was convicted of fraud wrt to doing something in that amount. Gosh that was hilarious.

If you pick juuuuust the right door at the back of Sharkx, it's faster to enter through the bowling alley, chug a beer and get to class than if you walked straight there. But then again, that's when I actually went to class and wasn't playing Risk at Reggies.

I'm transferring from UCLA to a Canadian school. Basically, my first choice is McGill, but it's too late to transfer mid-year. Concordia, Dalhousie, and Manitoba are the three that I'm considering. Leaning towards Dal or Concordia (because Montreal). Honestly, I'm open to any school in Canada. Poly sci/phil major here. Bilingual as well. 

I'm transferring from UCLA to a Canadian school. Basically, my first choice is McGill, but it's too late to transfer mid-year. Concordia, Dalhousie, and Manitoba are the three that I'm considering. Leaning towards Dal or Concordia (because Montreal). Honestly, I'm open to any school in Canada. Poly sci/phil major here. Bilingual as well.

Any reason you're rushing to transfer? If you wait it might work out better for you.