wcbc

Ask an Upper Year!

On 1/6/2018 at 1:09 AM, Abii said:

Can someone please confirm the tuition for Calgary. The calculator is giving me 15,957 for the first year (I've included the cost of books in there). 
https://www.ucalgary.ca/registrar/cost-estimator

Does it increase or decrease for the 2nd and 3rd years? 

Thanks. 

I can't confirm the tuition for you, but I know the tuition went down for us in 2L from 1L because of the reduction in course load. Most people I know have some kind of scholarship, the school is generally very good with financial aid.

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2018 at 3:09 AM, Abii said:

Can someone please confirm the tuition for Calgary. The calculator is giving me 15,957 for the first year (I've included the cost of books in there). 
https://www.ucalgary.ca/registrar/cost-estimator

Does it increase or decrease for the 2nd and 3rd years? 

Thanks. 

"Tuition and fees for 1L are approximately $13 600. For full information about tuition and fees, please see our website and the university calendar:" from Malina.

I believe there may be a tuition decrease second and third year.

Posted (edited)
On 06/27/2016 at 2:34 PM, wcbc said:

I remember around this time last year, I had so many questions about law school and what it's actually like to be a law student. Although my knowledge is limited to the University of Calgary, I thought this would be useful for incoming 1L's and prospective law students wanting to come to U of C! 

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll try to answer them the best I can!

(Edit) I know previous upper years have done this, but I thought it'd be useful to start a topic that'll have more updated info (Especially with the new curriculum).

Edited by bb213
Sorry, didn't see the post was old.

Currently trying to decide between University of Calgary and Dal.. coming from Toronto and hope to work back here in the future. Any advice/opinions are welcome in terms of school, lifestyle, difference in living accommodations etc. are welcome! Thanks!

11 hours ago, psigm said:

Currently trying to decide between University of Calgary and Dal.. coming from Toronto and hope to work back here in the future. Any advice/opinions are welcome in terms of school, lifestyle, difference in living accommodations etc. are welcome! Thanks!

The recruit here is much more focused on the Calgary and Vancouver markets. There was only a small handful of folks who participated in the Toronto recruit.

• Like 1

Can someone please comment on the differences between living in Kensington and living in Mission. I was told those are the best two areas to live for law students. I also will have my own vehicle so transit is not an issue. Just want a lively place that's a good area for students. Any comments and tips on the differences between Mission and Kensington would be greatly appreciated!

I realize these things are naturally fluid, but would anyone be able to comment on the approximate weekly time commitment of volunteering at the SLA and the Pro Bono clinic? 

I would like to do both but I'm not sure how viable it is with both work and school. 

2 hours ago, Cmb123 said:

I realize these things are naturally fluid, but would anyone be able to comment on the approximate weekly time commitment of volunteering at the SLA and the Pro Bono clinic? 

I would like to do both but I'm not sure how viable it is with both work and school. 

Can't speak for Pro Bono.

SLA can take anywhere from as low as 15 minutes per week as high as infinity. You can take less demanding files and take only the number of files that is mandatory (which is two, if I remember correctly). On the flip side, you can take so many files that you are doing more SLA than schoolwork. 

How many hours do you work outside of school? Is it for spending money on the side, or is it for necessary expenses (e.g. rent, family support)? Working part-time and managing school at the same time is possible, but any more than 15 to 20 hours a week you might find that you have no life or no sleep, or both. 

ultramegaguy5129 , thanks for the reply!

Through school it will hopefully only be around 15-20 hours per week, though I have definitely considered not working at all. Working would be primarily to lessen the draw on my savings caused by rent, school, living, etc.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Cmb123 said:

ultramegaguy5129 , thanks for the reply!

Through school it will hopefully only be around 15-20 hours per week, though I have definitely considered not working at all. Working would be primarily to lessen the draw on my savings caused by rent, school, living, etc.

If at all possible, it is likely better to take a financial hit now, during school, than later. You can make up for lost money, but it's more difficult to make up for lost opportunities because of grades.

If your grades suffer because you over-commit to things aside from studying, it might close some doors for your future employment. Of course, money and grades are not the be all and end all.

You can, and probably should, participate in extra-curriculars, but only to the extent they enhance your academic life, not detract from it.

Edited by ultramegaguy5129
  • Like 1

If you get really high grades, you get awards.

I treated school like a job for that very reason. Of course, this strategy can't work for everyone. But it's something to consider if you're really academically inclined.

Except for those awards that are book prizes. Lame. I don't think I ever even got my book prizes.