Sign in to follow this  
ribelle

My articling-work environment is toxic

Just to throw another idea in the mix - I think that the assignment of articles form is most commonly used during secondments. So for example, at my firm, one of our students might "assign" their articles to the OSC or whatever for two months. In that case, there's no lag. So that might be the explanation.

Not in BC. I've been seconded for the last 9 weeks (had to get permission from the LSBC to increase that from the usual max of 8) and my principal never changed.

Secondment during the articling period

You may be permitted to attend in the office of another lawyer who is qualified to act as a principal, for a period or periods not exceeding in total eight weeks of your prescribed term of attendance, for the purpose of obtaining training in practice areas in which the principal is unable to instruct you.

The Law Society should be informed by letter of the period during which you will be attending another office. Permission may also be granted, with or without conditions, for an extension of the eight-week period of secondment.

https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/page.cfm?cid=30

The LSUC don't seem to use the term secondment much, but the closest thing they seem to have is temporary assignment - not assignment:

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/TemporaryAssignmentofArticles/

You might also see it as a form of joint articling placement, although the suggested timetable here is for MWF at one principal and TTh at the other - not 8 weeks at one and then back to the other, which is what a secondment would look like in BC: http://www.lsuc.on.ca/licensingprocess.aspx?id=2147498211#Joint_Articling_Placement

Edited by kcraigsejong

I've already answered this multiple times. A student leaving for another position is only one reason the relationship might end. There are others, up to and including Heenin Blakie type scenarios. So while I'll concede the BC language, you are arguing in the face of other language on the LSUC site which clearly indicates that the relationship is an undertaking (which is never a lightly used or accidental word) and that no one should be seeking any other arrangement once it's entered into. I think you need to offer more than just your assumption that a rule for immediate transfer, which could easily be used to address completely different scenarios, implicitly means you can look for new articles while already committed to your current employer.

And you are assuming that the undertakings put upon law school and NCA students who accept articling offers continue when they assume the status of articled students when the LSUC recruitment guidelines are quite clear that they do not.

Well, we can't have principals being absent from themselves without approval. Think of the chaos!

I'm not sure how I absent myself from myself, but I'm pretty sure I physically can't do it without my own approval.  

LSUC has a practice management hotline that is very helpful. It's mostly there to ask advice about your ethical obligations in the profession, etc. You call, explain that you are a lawyer (or in your case, a licensee) in a voicemail - here, you say you have questions about your employment obligations as an articling student. They usually call back the same day. As much as I can say LSUC, well, sucks usually, they don't suck here. 

Also, there is a discrimination and harassment counsel that LSUC funds and is available to you. I cannot recall her name off the top of my head, but they run an ad in the ORs every couple of months at least. You can also hear about it in a CLE that LSUC did, I think it was May 6, 2015 (I remember the day because it's my birthday, same as Gordan Ghecko from Wall Street!). You can find the CLE on LSUC's website, it was about mental health for lawyers. I watched the webcast because I freaking live for free CLE as a sole practitioner, but I was surprised to hear about her role, and the support available to members in employment situations. That could also be a path to mediating the situation, whatever exactly is going on. 

Lastly, I agree with some of the sentiments above re just sticking it out, life is tough, being an employee is tough... BUT in my personal experience, I've had lots of jobs. Tough jobs that lots of others could not hack - they had to quit, get moved, fired, not hired back etc. because they couldn't hack it. When things got tough in some of those, I had my closest family/friends/boyfriends/etc. sometimes say "just quit" SOOOOO many times. I always said no. They did not understand, I stuck it out, and I am glad that I did. 

The couple of times in my life where I truly needed to leave/quit (including one law job for a real asshole) - guess what? No one said that. I had to give myself permission to leave, and it's pretty nuts to look back that this was the case, but not unusual I think. 

My point being, you need to research the drawbacks (and what LSUC will tolerate, and the risk to your future prospects), independently. Hopefully the two resources I point out above will help with that. Then, at the end of the day, you need to decide for yourself what is best. 

Never ever quit - unless you have to. The trouble though, is that you are the only person who truly knows whether you "have to" quit or not. 

I know that there is a general consensus among law students and lawyers that articling sucks and that it should suck because that's how you learn. I don't have issues with the workload, I am hard-working and I know that law is a demanding career. Mainly because I worked as a lawyer for two years before changing countries. But I have an issue with toxic environment that adds to the stress from the workload and makes me miserable. My principal is very disrespectful and the environment is toxic.    

So I have three questions and hoping you can share your experience. Maybe it will help me survive because  I feel so trapped. 

So my questions are:

1. How helpful LSUC can be if I call them?  Is there anything they can/will do? This is not a harassment/discrimination issue. 

2. Can I look for another articling position while articling (sounds unethical I know) ?

3. Any tips on how to survive something temporary but soul-sucking nevertheless?

Thanks.

Dont forget to let the internet know about this principal so others are warned! Post from an internet cafe or library to stay "anonymous" as much as possible.

Dont forget to let the internet know about this principal so others are warned! Post from an internet cafe or library to stay "anonymous" as much as possible.

"I wonder which of my one articling students posted this shit about me on the internet. I wonder if it was ribelle, or if it was ribelle. I have no way of knowing, because they posted from a library and stayed 'anonymous'. Curse you, libraries!"

• Like 11

YB just demonstrated the LS.CA first law of conservation of stupidity. For every bad idea posted here there is an equal and opposite post (often from the likes of YB or Diplock) which undoes the effect of the initial post, ensuring that the net level of stupidity is unchanged

• Like 4

YB just demonstrated the LS.CA first law of conservation of stupidity. For every bad idea posted here there is an equal and opposite post (often from the likes of YB or Diplock) which undoes the effect of the initial post, ensuring that the net level of stupidity is unchanged

I've never put it quite that way, and if I'm one of the principal breaks against stupidity that's kinda terrifying, but I do believe that crowd-sourcing information can work so long as there are enough well informed people to correct the stupid when it appears. Bad advice doesn't last long, here, contradicted. And that's one of the things I do like about this place.

• Like 1

YB just demonstrated ... stupidity. ... bad idea posted ... YB... stupidity is unchanged

This post really hurt my feelings when I just skimmed it. Then I went back and read all the words in the middle and felt better with a quickness.

• Like 3

This is something I would love to hold forth about, but I'm cognizant of not knowing anything, so I'm going to invite the lawyers to hold forth.

Am I correct in assuming that:
1. If an articling student publicly airs grievances with their principal in the way that Permuser recommends, the likely professional damage to the principal would be virtually nil, while the likely professional damage to the student could be career-ending;
2. The legal community is small enough that ribelle would be very easily identified (certainly, if anyone who knows her or knows her principal read this thread, she would be, and that risk would go up exponentially if she identified her principal, as Permuser recommends);
3. The legal community is small enough that anyone who could benefit from the information that such-and-such lawyer is a big meanie probably has better ways to get that information than via ribelle posting a bad review of her principal on Yelp?

You guys,I am moving to Vancouver! And there are hundreds of mean principals which we can't do anything about and I think most of them are well aware of it. Anyway,  I decided to quit law and pursue something else but law-related. Good luck to everyone! 

You guys,I am moving to Vancouver! And there are hundreds of mean principals which we can't do anything about and I think most of them are well aware of it. Anyway,  I decided to quit law and pursue something else but law-related. Good luck to everyone! 

Well. That'll teach him. One day your mean principal will realize that he drove you out of the profession and he'll be sorry. The importance of this day will haunt him.

I guess if you don't really want to practice law, you should do what makes you happiest. I'd never dispute that. But I hope to God that was a realization you came around to independently, and it isn't about the fact that you had a mean boss. I won't claim to have sampled every profession out there, but I'm pretty sure they all feature a fair percentage of mean bosses. Law is at least entrepreneurial and you have the option of working for yourself. Personally, I love that. But in all events, do what you've got to.

• Like 4

"I wonder which of my one articling students posted this shit about me on the internet. I wonder if it was ribelle, or if it was ribelle. I have no way of knowing, because they posted from a library and stayed 'anonymous'. Curse you, libraries!"

OMG I've never laughed so hard!!!! Not. OP, obviously, once articling is complete, even months or a year later, you post something about the principal online for the benefit of future students. I'm sure as a law student you can figure out the specifics of avoiding detection of the obvious, without me having to explain it (YB not so much).

OMG I've never laughed so hard!!!! Not. OP, obviously, once articling is complete, even months or a year later, you post something about the principal online for the benefit of future students. I'm sure as a law student you can figure out the specifics of avoiding detection of the obvious, without me having to explain it (YB not so much).

I can promise you that any post on this forum that warns students off of a named or identifiable employer is very likely to be removed immediately. Could not care less if the actual poster bothers to out themselves or not.

I'm sure you can figure out the specifics of why that would be without me having to explain the obvious. :)

• Like 8

Okay. Honestly trying to be helpful here, not trying to be an asshole. As WJ said, my intention was good-natured ribbing (with a kernel of sincerity), not rudeness, and that remains the case.

So! Seven billion people in the world. Maybe a year ago, a guy started popping up in my Facebook People You May Know, and I thought, "Holy shit, that's Uriel from Lawstudents," based on absolutely no clues but the Urielesque gleam in his eye. After being fairly certain that it was him, just from his face, I clicked through to the profile and a lot of the biographical details match, and so I'm virtually sure it's him. A few months later, someone started a thread here in the off-topic areas wherein we could all take wild guesses about what we imagined each other looked like. Uriel guessed that I look like some celebrity, and, you know what? Except for the guy being drastically better-looking than me, he was spooky right.

Seven billion people in the world, and I was able to recognize a guy I've interacted with intermittently on a message board. That same guy either a., had the same experience and saw some guy in his People You May Know and said "Holy shit, that's the Yogurt Baron," and then had a leg up when it came time to guess what I look like or b., just intuited what I look like from how I write. Either way, based on nothing but vague vibes based on our writing styles, we were able to "recognize" each other. I know Diplock has a similar story of a friend's dad just randomly blurting out, "Hey, you're Diplock!", based on virtually nothing. It's a whole lot easier for people who have interacted to crack the anonymity code than you seem to be accounting for.

The vibe I get from ribelle's post is that she was working for a sole or in a small firm with someone who's not used to being an articling principal. "Where does it say that?" Well, it doesn't say that - that's the feeling that I get from certain extratextual cues. So let's say we're looking at a situation where this principal has had one (1) articling student in his life, of whom one (1) was unhappy. Then somebody "anonymously" says she was his articling student and this, this, this, and that happened when she was articling for him. He will know who wrote that.

But let's say I'm wrong. Let's say this principal has had ten thousand articling students and that nine thousand of them have been unhappy, and then somebody "anonymously" says she was his articling student and this, this, this, and that happened when she was articling for him. Presumably, he will not have done all of those things to all nine thousand of those students. And like everyone else in the world, ribelle has her own unique style of writing. I've had a hundred employees; if one of them wrote anonymous shit about me on the internet, I'd be able to narrow it down to a few by what they wrote, and then narrow it down to one by how they wrote. Easily. By virtue of remembering my own life and being observant of how people communicate, I'd know who it was in about five seconds. So would virtually any non-moron in that situation.

Unless you're suggesting that ribelle remove all identifying information (i.e., that she not talk about her personal experience with this person at all) and just write "JOHN A. LAWYERSON, WHO I KNOW FROM SOMEWHERE WHICH I AM NOT GOING TO SAY WHERE, IS A BIG POOPYHEAD AND I AM NOT GOING TO SAY WHY." Which would be helpful to literally no one in any way, and which the articling principal would still probably have no trouble tracing back to her, presuming he remembers his own life and is not a moron.

So, I mean, if you think going to the library somehow magically erases your unique writing style, your unique message, and the fact that a very limited pool of people are holding a grudge against any particular person at any particular time, good luck with that. But anonymity is much, much, much more elusive in this life than you seem to believe it to be. And I don't want to see that bite you, or ribelle, or anyone, in the ass. Good luck.

Ah the "not" joke. It's been a while. I remember sitting around with my friends in the early nineties holding our sides in mild discomfort because of the side splitting laughter that you gave us. I've missed you dearly. 

• Like 1

I think the punctuation is wrong. It should be:

OMG I've never laughed so hard!!!! .... NOT!  :rolling:

• Like 2