Is there any difference between Harcourts and Imperial Robes? And if so, which is better? Also, I heard there was some sort of call to the bar discount. How do I get in on that?

I have Harcourts but I like the buttons on Imperial better.  The Harcourts buttons are all rough and cheap plasticky looking.  I don't like the waistcoat arms on the Imperials but you never see them so who really cares. 

Other than that I've never really noticed much of a difference. 

At Harcourts when I got mine they just asked me what my call date was and then I got the discount.  They tried to upsell me with useless stuff like a monogrammed bag.  But I have to say, my Harcourts robes have really gone strong - I've washed them in the machine a few times, and I wear them quite a lot and they look good as new. 

I don't know if I should be flattered or insulted. But I am too distracted with adding points to my personal scoresheet. I am intent on beating whereverjustice at linking to relevant topics. It's a competition we've had going for some time.

I don't get out a lot these days.

• Like 5

I don't know if I should be flattered or insulted. But I am too distracted with adding points to my personal scoresheet. I am intent on beating whereverjustice at linking to relevant topics. It's a competition we've had going for some time.

I don't get out a lot these days.

More of a comment on how often we get repeat topics about stuff that hasn't changed at all since the last discussion than anything else. But since you asked, let's make it a compliment. :D

• Like 1

I have Harcourts but I like the buttons on Imperial better.  The Harcourts buttons are all rough and cheap plasticky looking.  I don't like the waistcoat arms on the Imperials but you never see them so who really cares. 

Other than that I've never really noticed much of a difference. 

At Harcourts when I got mine they just asked me what my call date was and then I got the discount.  They tried to upsell me with useless stuff like a monogrammed bag.  But I have to say, my Harcourts robes have really gone strong - I've washed them in the machine a few times, and I wear them quite a lot and they look good as new. 

Hello, 

Would anyone kindly suggest which is better Harcourts or Imperial Robes for the Call to the Bar ceremony package.  Is it better to rent or buy?

What quality/material would you suggest? 

On the harcourts website, they include a list of items in the package but they say that they do not include trousers/skirt in their package but can sell at a discounted price. Can we buy  trousers/skirt from elsewhere, I am worried about the colour, if it doesn't match the waist coat/gown. 

Cherry

Is it better to rent or buy?

If you're going to be practicing in litigation then probably better to buy because you will need it anyway. If you're going to be doing solicitor work renting should do. 

For material (if you buy) I'd go with 100% wool. 

If you have a job lined up, check if your firm pays for court attire for its associates - you may not have to pay a cent. 

On the harcourts website, they include a list of items in the package but they say that they do not include trousers/skirt in their package but can sell at a discounted price. Can we buy  trousers/skirt from elsewhere, I am worried about the colour, if it doesn't match the waist coat/gown. 

Cherry

10+ years at the bar, and I don't have trousers that match my robes exactly. And I'm in QB roughly once per month.

I wear pants from a navy suit. They're close enough, and I've never been called on it.

Cherry

10+ years at the bar, and I don't have trousers that match my robes exactly. And I'm in QB roughly once per month.

I wear pants from a navy suit. They're close enough, and I've never been called on it.

I get away with brown shoes as well. Never had anyone complain.

Cherry

I get away with brown shoes as well. Never had anyone complain.

#Thug Life

Cherry

Thanks for the reply. is a good idea to rent/buy the attire for ceremony?  

Thanks for the reply. is a good idea to rent/buy the attire for ceremony?  

Unless you think you're going to go into litigation where you appear with some regularity in superior court I would imagine it's better to rent (or better yet borrow).

Unless you think you're going to go into litigation where you appear with some regularity in superior court I would imagine it's better to rent (or better yet borrow).

I understand that completely but the question is how often do I appear before the Superior Court. To build up a new practice right from scratch is going to take time.

I am confused. Let me think as buying is not cheap either. 

Hello,

Can someone rent her legal attire (except trousers/skirt) for Call to the Bar Ceremony for June 20, at Toronto? 

Hello,

Can someone rent her legal attire (except trousers/skirt) for Call to the Bar Ceremony for June 20, at Toronto? 

I suggest you call these places and ask: http://www.lsuc.on.ca/CalltoBarRobes/

Google tells me Harcourt rents. I am sure the rest do too. Much faster to contact them directly than to ask here.

I suggest you call these places and ask: http://www.lsuc.on.ca/CalltoBarRobes/

Google tells me Harcourt rents. I am sure the rest do too. Much faster to contact them directly than to ask here.

I am already in touch with them but I don not intend to buy. Renting is not cheap as well.  Just spoke with a few friends and they told that they are renting/borrowing it for cheap from their friends/colleagues. 

I am already in touch with them but I don not intend to buy. Renting is not cheap as well.  Just spoke with a few friends and they told that they are renting/borrowing it for cheap from their friends/colleagues. 

Oh! You meant to ask the board if anyone would be willing to rent their robes to you for the June 20th Call? My mistake.

I suggest you post that in the Buy/Sell forum. :)

Oh! You meant to ask the board if anyone would be willing to rent their robes to you for the June 20th Call? My mistake.

I suggest you post that in the Buy/Sell forum. :)

thanks