Sign in to follow this  
Luckycharm

When will the 9:30am "call to bar ceremony" ends?

I am scheduled for the 9:30am.

My relatives has to catch a 2:30pm domestic flight.

Can someone let me know when will the 9:30am ceremony ends? 

Parts of it will seem interminable and your relatives should just leave when they have to. I think my June 2105 call was about 2.5 hours and there were hundreds of calls (that's the longest part-waiting through all the individual names to be called). If you're at 9:30, it should be fine to get to the airport on time.

Parts of it will seem interminable and your relatives should just leave when they have to. I think my June 2105 call was about 2.5 hours and there were hundreds of calls (that's the longest part-waiting through all the individual names to be called). If you're at 9:30, it should be fine to get to the airport on time.

So yours ended around noon then?

Thanks

Even if it doesn't end by then, just tell them to leave.  It is a supremely uninspiring ceremony.   They should do it the way alberta does.

• Like 1

Are relatives allowed to bring airhorns and huge foam fingers? They were specificalyl forbidden at my undergrad convocation (there were actually signs) but might liven up the ceremony a bit... 

Even if it doesn't end by then, just tell them to leave.  It is a supremely uninspiring ceremony.   They should do it the way alberta does.

What does Alberta do?

Small personalized ceremony in Chambers with lawyer sponsor and judge.

• Like 1

From my experience with (non-Ontario) call ceremonies, they go anywhere from 10 minutes to three hours, depending on the way it's done and the number of people being called.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Hi I’m not sure if you are aware of the difficulty in each program. I don’t want to say an MBA is easy but it is certainly doable whereas a masters in economics is hard for almost any individual regardless of how smart. Have you taken advanced macroeconomics, advanced microeconomics and advanced econometrics? To give you an idea of the math required, I got A+ in stats 1, A+ in stats 2, A+ in calc, A+ in calc 2, A+ in econometrics, A+ in intro micro, A in intro macro, A in intermediate macro 1, A+ in intermediate micro 1, A+ in intermediate macro 2 and A in intermediate micro 2. As you can see I did quite well in my economics courses however the masters level is nothing like the undergrad. I think it’s the only masters degree where the best preparation is an undergrad degree that is not the same program. Economics undergrad typically does not prepare you well for the masters. The best undergrad degrees for the masters are engineering, physics and mathematics,  or at least a minor in mathematics. Also there is a noticeable gap between programs for MA in economics you probably want to go to a top 4, U of T, Western (no masters only PhD available), Queens and UBC. UBC is #1 in Canada but any school in T4 is pretty great. Then there is second tier such as Simon Fraser, McMaster, York, Calgary and others, then tier 3, McGill, Windsor, Ryerson etc. If you want to know whether to take the MA in economics or the MBA, please take the advanced courses at your university or else you’re going to get a major shock. For example, it is common that 70% of the students drop out in the advanced macro course in undergrad. If it’s already too late to enroll in advanced macro for example, please look up David Romer advanced macroeconomics, you can get the PDF for free, try the questions in the book a couple chapters in. Hopefully you choose economics it’s intellectually stimulating and I love it and I hope you will as well. I just want you to be well informed so you can make the best decision for yourself. 
    • You know, I slept on this overnight because it really didn't seem worth it to respond. But screw it: context matters. I was responding directly to your statement about people taking jobs due to lack of opportunities, given that the OP is in a better position in terms of opportunities and job security than the vast majority of JD students starting 2L. And JD students are not exactly a marginalized and underprivileged class of people to start with. This has nothing to do with whether racism is a thing (obviously it is) or whether it is bad (obviously it is). But go on and have fun raking in the "likes" with woke platitudes that ignore the context of the discussion and don't actually respond to the salient point. That's all I have to say about this.
    • Queen's in the past has been known for labour and employment, criminal, and family law, but has been shifting to a more business-focus in recent years. Maybe mention your interest in a particular area of law that is more broad, clinical programs they offer, or professors you would like to work with and learn from, but really the personal statement should focus on why you are the right candidate for their program. Your job is to sell yourself to them and not the other way around.  The closest most lawyers get to practicing "constitutional law" is criminal law. I would not mention it in your personal statement unless you want to create a narrative around pursuing legal academia.
    • Speaking of inspiration from RBG... I think a lot of the current crop of law students could learn from the fact that Ginsburg and Scalia were best friends. I would have liked to have been born in an era where it was okay to politely disagree.