lawschoolsucks

Current TRU law student answering questions.

As far as official statistics go, this is what the Career services person told me about the class of 2016

" Unfortunately, it’s still a bit too early for the Class of 2016’s stats - like other Canadian law schools, we will not have articling data to share until 6-9 months after graduation."

There has been a significant drop from the first two years. It was shocking because it was quite a drop in just one year. Not sure what else to say about this. Finding I job is not easy (I am currently looking for articling myself). But if you put in the work to apply and network something should come your way.

Any idea if the people who were really struggling to find articles were the Vancouver or bust kind of people? Or did it effect people who were willing to move around as well?

Edited by AntelopeofZeus

The class size for 2015/2016 basically doubled from 2014/2015. I think that explains some of it. 

Edited by googs
  • Like 1

Is there an active legal clinic at the school?  I am currently at the U of M and have had the chance to go to court already.  Some info on this would be great...

Do I have prospects of getting on the waitlist this year?

cGpa:3.0

Last 2: 3.2

LSAT:162

1 hour ago, lionelhutz54 said:

Hey there! Do 1L’s have to register for courses or are we placed in them?

You will be placed in all your 1L courses. You can ignore the emails from the registrar about registration dates. They just send those to everyone enrolled in any program. You'll eventually get login info for the online portal which has your schedule. However, the schedule for 1Ls generally changes throughout the summer while they finalize professor availability so don't get too attached to the first version you see.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, VancityAnxious said:

how hard is it to work part time during 1l?

For the majority of students, it's very difficult for a variety of reasons. One good reason is you have 7 classes per semester which is usually approximately 21 hours of in-class work. On top of that, there are hours of required reading for each class so a lot of your "free" time is spent reading and making notes so you can be prepared for the next class. Plus, you're in a new environment trying to understand new information and a new way of thinking and also where most people are trying to make new friends so there's a lot of juggling with school work, social activities, etc. with just trying to get enough sleep.

It's generally recommended that you don't work in 1L unless you absolutely have to. If you are in that situation, then imo, getting a job on campus would be the best idea as it's easier to work around your class schedule. However, they only pay minimum wage so if you need more money than that to get by, then I do know that some of my classmates did bar tending and serving in 1L and they still did well with their classes.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I did NOT work in 1L. I felt like I had more free time than I expected to, but it was not so much that I would have chosen to juggle work on top of things. I did work part time in 3L, but ended up resigning as my class schedule and volunteering schedule did not allow me enough breathing time in between. I made the personal decision that the quality of my course work took precedence over the small amount of money I was making working part-time.

At the end of the day, it's really hard to say for sure if it will work out so you need to take a long look at what your personal situation is and decide what it is you're willing to do or NEED to do to make things work for you. Good luck!

Hello! Hopefully someone is still answering questions in this thread.

I was wondering how TRU does in reference to international co-ops or study terms abroad? I'd like to work internationally in an NGO after law school and would therefore want to attend a school with some connection abroad.

• Like 2

hi not sure if this has been answered before but how do TRU students do in Vancouver OCIs? From ontario but considering going to BC to start my legal career in Vancouver. 

What is it like renting in Kamloops versus living on campus? From what I've seen does not look like there is many options I also have a cat which doesn't work with residence. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, pmtfuturelawyer said:

What is it like renting in Kamloops versus living on campus? From what I've seen does not look like there is many options I also have a cat which doesn't work with residence. 

^^^^^same. I have 2 cats and 2 cars (well, I have one and bf has one, nothing crazy lol) and the market looks incredibly slim

On 1/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, Scottysl said:

Hello! Hopefully someone is still answering questions in this thread.

I was wondering how TRU does in reference to international co-ops or study terms abroad? I'd like to work internationally in an NGO after law school and would therefore want to attend a school with some connection abroad.

TRU has a requirement that students either complete an international course or take a study period abroad. Given COVID I'd hazard to guess they are not currently offering this, but I know that many students in my class went abroad for a semester before COVID hit.

https://www.tru.ca/law/jd-program/student-learning-opportunities/international-connections.html

7 hours ago, sucksatusernames said:

hi not sure if this has been answered before but how do TRU students do in Vancouver OCIs? From ontario but considering going to BC to start my legal career in Vancouver. 

From what I've gathered, TRU students' success at obtaining OCIs is on par with UBC and UVIC's students, and this has only increased over the years as TRU's reputation has increased. 

3 hours ago, pmtfuturelawyer said:

2 hours ago, castlepie said:

^^^^^same. I have 2 cats and 2 cars (well, I have one and bf has one, nothing crazy lol) and the market looks incredibly slim

It may be hard to find places to rent right now since TRU's gone remote and many students aren't on campus. I lived on campus, but I've heard that the renting market is pretty expensive, especially if you want a place close to the campus (ie. the Landmark buildings, or the new apartment buildings they've built right next to the law building). If you want to bring your pets, I think that's about your only option, since rez doesn't allow pets. Check out the TRU Law Black Market Facebook page for rentals from previous law students.

Living at rez isn't for everyone, especially if you aren't interested in having roommates who may or may not be fellow law students. I got lucky and managed to snag a single room for my 2L and 3L years, which made life more bearable, but also took a lot of effort to convince rez staff. The rooms weren't the nicest thing ever, but rent was roughly $1000/mth, and it came fully furnished and included internet/electricity/etc, and it was about a ten minute walk from class which worked well, especially for studying at school.

Edited by pyrrah
  • Like 2

@pyrrah thank you! This is all terrific info :)  My main thing is that if I move across the country I want to do so specifically to settle in Vancouver and it seems like any BC school will give me similar chances.  

Also really cool that TRU has a mandatory international component! While opportunities to practice international law are extremely rare I appreciate the emphasis from the school to promote it as it's always been of interest to me academically as well as professionally.  

• Like 1

How common is it for a TRU student to get a job in Toronto? Do Vancouver big firms pay more than Toronto corporate firms? 

If you want to live off campus at a reasonable rate you pretty much need access to a vehicle.  There are the Landmark buildings which are nice but expensive.

There is residence that is fine but you are with undergrads and it can get loud - That wasnt an issue for me but it might be for some people.  It is in walking distance but cooking is definitely a pain since you cant technically have hot plates but everyone had some.

There is East Village which is TRU housing but walking distance.  The apartments are basic but definitely a step up from residence and its across the street from grocery stores.

Basically if you have a vehicle I would live downtown its nice to be away from campus and if you do go out on weekends its walking distance to all the bars and the arena.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bure10 said:

If you want to live off campus at a reasonable rate you pretty much need access to a vehicle.  There are the Landmark buildings which are nice but expensive.

There is residence that is fine but you are with undergrads and it can get loud - That wasnt an issue for me but it might be for some people.  It is in walking distance but cooking is definitely a pain since you cant technically have hot plates but everyone had some.

There is East Village which is TRU housing but walking distance.  The apartments are basic but definitely a step up from residence and its across the street from grocery stores.

Basically if you have a vehicle I would live downtown its nice to be away from campus and if you do go out on weekends its walking distance to all the bars and the arena.

How much are 1 bedrooms typically in TRU? I've got dogs so I would need to live alone in a 1 bedroom! What is the price range for the Landmark buildings?