Sign in to follow this  
Diplock

Okay, Enough is Enough

[portion only quoted]

Hope this helps you to all go fuck yourselves.

Synchronicity again, just read this ABA story - apparently language like this is a problem even in New Jersey:

"...U.S. District Judge Esther Salas of Newark upheld (PDF) a magistrate judge’s refusal to disqualify lawyer Wayne Paulter, the New Jersey Law Journal (sub. req.) reports.

Paulter, of Morris Plains, represented a doctor sued for the alleged wrongful release of private medical information to the plaintiff’s wife. In September 2014, Paulter responded to the plaintiff’s settlement demand with the statement, “You guys can go f— yourselves.” He added that the plaintiff’s lawyer could “even write that down and take it back” to his boss...." [emphasis added, dash in original]

I don't blame him. Hegdis is an amazing person.

Ok Marcus Aurelius, quit being a softy. :roll:

Definitely agree. :)

• Like 1

I did have some one approach me a while back over the CYOA stuff. But it turned out I would only be getting "exposure" for my "portfolio" if I let them publish it. At which point I laughed so hard at the idea of my average client requesting my "portfolio" that I fell most of the way out of my chair and that kind of put a damper on the whole proposal.

Oh I can see it now:

Manny Robles was a mouse-nosed fellow with a poorly pressed shirt. He arrived at Dis's office at half past noon and insisted to be seen immediately.

"You don't understand," he protested to the clerk at the front of the small office. "He gave me his business card personally. Told me to call him or come by. Why do you think I'm here?"

Nonplussed, the clerk lifted the phone and dialed Dis's extension. 

"Sorry to bother you when you're eating, but a Mr. Robles is here to see you." A brief back-and-forth established the nature of the relationship and the clerk led Robles to Dis's office.

"Mr. Robles," Dis shook the man's hand and gestured for him to sit. "You're the one I spoke to at the courthouse, right? With the dog problem?"

"Right, well —" Robles stuttered, a bit red. He forgot he had mentioned the peanut butter incident that led the neighbour to call the police. "It's all a huge misunderstanding."

"I'm sure it is," Dis replied. "How can I help?"

Robles wasn't sure if he could trust the man. This was a delicate situation — his reputation hung in the balance. He was sure to be the laughing stock of the neighbourhood if this wasn't cleared up immediately.

"Before we get to it, I have to know, Mr. Dis, that you're capable of solving my problem. There's a lot at stake. How can I be sure you can do it?"

"I'm the cream of the crop, Mr. Robles. In fact, I'm published!" Dis stood up and strode to his bookshelf across the room. On it were identical copies of a red book with spidery letters on the spine that read Choose Your Own Adventure: Criminal Law Edition.

Robles was impressed. It was the best accomplishment of any lawyer he had ever seen. He was suddenly very confident that this man could help him. "Could I take this with me?" he asked hopefully.

"Of course. As you can see, I have several copies."

"Perfect, thanks. Okay, so here's what happened —"

And lo, another client has been secured, thanks to the Portfolio.

Edited by Ryn
  • Like 2

Man are these mods ever creative with their titles they placed above our user names.

Looking at you too Ryn

Edit: Looking at Diplock too now who has been mod queued 4 lyfe yo

Edited by PerniciousLaw
  • Like 1

Man are these mods ever creative with their titles they placed above our user names.

Looking at you too Ryn

Ha I just noticed that. Well what can I say? Swimming in gold coins is gross fun.

• Like 1

Edit x2: Mod edited my post. My name, for clarification, is not Maximilian or Marcus Aurelius (creative inserts by the mod, though, I must say). 

MA was a great roman emperor. You should be flattered

Not sure if "Liking" Diplock's post means you get the joke, or don't get the joke.

MA was a great roman emperor. You should be flattered

I am :)

I'm catching onto the mod's implicit thinking here. They want me to remain on the site. What can I say

• Like 1

Not sure if "Liking" Diplock's post means you get the joke, or don't get the joke.

Yes

• Like 8

Damn it. Even after reading all the April Fools posts I was wondering what instigated this post- until I read the "morgans" comment.

A group approached me with a proposal to pay me for the absence of words, based on being below a certain wordcount ceiling on a monthly basis.

Unfortunately for them (and others...) they weren't able to pay enough for it to be worth my while to be more succinct.

I made you your very own built-in disclaimer!

I expect this to reduce the length of your posts by at least half.

• Like 5

The least believable thing about Diplock's post is that, if true, it would have survived for so much as five minutes.

unless the mods  knew that if they took it down right away people would get suspicious, but if they left it up people would think it is just an April fools joke. 

So instead of taking it down they left it up and used Diplock's account to make a post saying it was a joke, very clever mods very clever

Whoops. Guess I shouldn't have sent that letter of outrage to the various law societies and FLSC demanding that they rein this rogue site in. Oh well. I'll just follow up tomorrow and tell them was April Fooling them

• Like 2

I just read this post.  I got to point 3 and started wondering how the referrals system would even work.  I thought of a couple of options:

1. The forum detects the search query you used to locate the website, and based on that query, redirects you (this system seemed possibly quite inefficient though).  I even went to Google and typed "legal aid Canada".  I couldn't find lawstudents.ca on the first page, and was a bit mystified.  All I knew is that I found this forum and was never redirected, so clearly some other step had to be taken by users that were redirected.

2. Maybe legal aid posts get deleted fast enough, and then a mod contacts the poster with the referral.  I cannot recall seeing a bunch of locked legal aid posts, certainly not enough to make Morgan insanely rich (or whatever the term OP used was).

Honestly, I could see it though.  I've been on many other forums where Diplock's style would not be welcome (in the interest of not losing users, although these are typically much larger, more commercial forums). 

So, I possibly fell for it harder than many.  Of all things, it was the referral system that incited my skepticism the most. 

Maybe the biggest hint should have been that the post was kind of short by Diplock standards.

Honestly, I could see it though.  I've been on many other forums where Diplock's style would not be welcome (in the interest of not losing users, although these are typically much larger, more commercial forums). 

Maybe the biggest hint should have been that the post was kind of short by Diplock standards.

You're right. Diplock is too beautiful for this workaday world.

...okay, things this are why those people on that other thread think I'm a Diplock ghostie, aren't they?

I thought the most suspicious part was the description of his participation as "on-again off-again." I see many more "ons" than "offs"  :)

Diplock leads revolution against the moderators right when I became one.

Then it all made sense. I'm the fall guy, the patsy!

Then I saw the date. 

Oh you!

• Like 1