Plinko

I'm currently a student - Ask me anything

Hey! Looking to make my decision in the next few days. Are there any current students or grads that can comment on their experience at Windsor, Opportunities within the school (clinics) and OCI's?

How realistic is Bay St/Toronto as a Windsor graduate?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TheHarveySpectre said:

Hey! Looking to make my decision in the next few days. Are there any current students or grads that can comment on their experience at Windsor, Opportunities within the school (clinics) and OCI's?

How realistic is Bay St/Toronto as a Windsor graduate?

Hey! Im only in 1L but i can give my experience on your area of interest. I will also begin with the caveat that as a 1L this year, my experience is certainly different than other years, so hopefully you will get an answer from that perspective too. 

As for opportunities within the school, for 1L's i think places are fairly slim pickings. You cant do most of the "cooler" clinics until the upper years because they require upper year courses. However, Pro Bono clinic and Legal Aid Clinic are two really great opportunities for 1Ls to get a glimpse into what real world legal work looks/feels like. I unfortunately was not selected but i have friends who were and they say it is amazing to work with real files. Windsor does also have some great upper year clinics (i'm thinking IP, Class Actions, Self-Represented litigants etc.) which, from what i hear from upper years and realllllyyy cool. 

Now, as for Bay st, i think it's realistic if you want it bad. Windsor grads get placed at big firms every year, maybe not as much as other schools but still get placed (myriad factors at play here). I know tons of Windsor grads at firms i'm really interested in and from what i hear, we did pretty well in the 1L recruit (consider last year we only had like 2 students offered jobs). I was unsuccessful at the recruit and had fairly good marks, work experience and the whole lot...and honestly, i wasnt too bummed because the firm i want to end up at doesnt hire 1Ls. 

I really do believe that if your grades are decent and you can carry yourself in interviews, you can get a Bay st job if you want it. At the end of the day, the kicker will likely be you and not the school you go to. I might get some people saying otherwise but Windsor is still a great school (and i think i would have liked it more in the non-virtual setting) with great opportunities on the other end. 

PM me if you have any super specific questions. 

Edited by Boundless

I'm class of 2012 so my advice may be a little dated. Our class performed well in OCIs. A good number of my former classmates are still at their Bay St firms and have been promoted to partner. There are a number of clinics and other opportunities like clerkships. I found the career services people at Windsor very helpful and invested in the students.

I agree with @Boundless that you it is on you whether you get OCIs, not whether you go to Windsor or elsewhere. If you have the grades and interpersonal skills, you will likely get a few interviews. Where you go after that is up to you (and a bit of luck).

Was wondering if any Windsor Duals can chime in on Bay St placements for Dual students in particular.