Sign in to follow this  
NineOne

Ask a 3L!

Hello all, 

Long time observer of the forum and forever nervous about getting into U of T or Osgoode. Currently an undergraduate student going into 3rd year at the University of Ottawa. 

In regards to peoples B3 GPAs: If a student is applying to law school while starting their fourth year of their undergraduate degree (as most do), how is the B3 calculated if the final year is not yet reported? Do they just use your first, second, and third year final grades? Do they only take your second and third year grades?

My first year grades were absolute garbage (6.7/10, or a 2.7/4 GPA), but my 2nd year grades and presumably my third year grades are 3.8-3.9 GPA. I have extremely strong ECs (started my own business and a non-profit, engaged with campus clubs and volunteering, government work experience, etc.). How likely is it that I will be accepted to U of T because of my first year grades? 

Any and all advice is very much appreciated. 

Thanks!

It's hard for students to give much input on things like to be honest. I will say that I also had poor first year grades in undergrad and better grades in the next three years, but I didn't make it into U of T the first time, but then retook my LSAT and got in quite early (went from a 160 to a 168 LSAT score). So just remember it's not just about your grades; the LSAT can make a big difference as well.

Hi there!

1. Can anyone speak to opportunities for summer employment in the clinics at U of T?

2. I heard that clinic positions in 1L were decided by lottery... is that true?

3. Are there any student-led research groups? 

4. Are there meaningful opportunities for first years to obtain research positions with profs the summer after 1L? (and are they paid positions?)

5. I heard that there were certain public interest internships that received sponsorship from large firms... does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Will preface this with the fact that I graduated 5+ years ago but, as far as I know, there are still many of the same opportunities available that were there when I was. Have you looked at this page?

http://www.law.utoronto.ca/programs-centres/programs

The student led research options were called working groups back then and they were a great opportunity for learning.

Yes, there can be great RA positions with profs available. And yes, many of them are paid. PM me if you'd like more information on my experience.

IHRP has many summer internship opportunities.

• Like 1

Hi there!

1. Can anyone speak to opportunities for summer employment in the clinics at U of T?

4. Are there meaningful opportunities for first years to obtain research positions with profs the summer after 1L? (and are they paid positions?)

5. I heard that there were certain public interest internships that received sponsorship from large firms... does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

I worked in one of the clinics during my 1L summer (and volunteered there during the year). PM me if you want to chat. 

• Like 1

Hi there!

Thanks!

I'm a 1L but two of your questions I have direct experience with:

2. Yes. Most people either get DLS or PBSC if they want too though. 

3. Yes. Tons. They advertise it all during the first weeks of class. Research positions are again lottery for 1L, but everyone can do Law Review if they want.

• Like 1

Law

why not just 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, make me feel young again. I don't need to be remind that I am old enough to be in law. It's hard enough as it is that my favorite NBA player is younger than me.

• Like 2

Thanks to the peeps who responded to my earlier questions -- super helpful!

Does anyone have experience with externships at U of T law? I've heard that there is one in appellate criminal litigation and one with pro bono Ontario.

Career services has lists of people who have XYZ and are wiling to answer questions about it, you may have more luck there.

Does anyone know if firms look at your undergrad GPA when assessing summer hires or articling students? Or do they only look at your law school grades?

I can't comment on the extent to which they weigh undergrad grades (if at all) but they definitely at least look at them. I know this because a few firms in my summer and articling interviews asked me about weird-sounding courses I took in 2nd or 3rd year undergrad, and they only would have known about these courses if they read through my undergrad transcripts, beyond just the final GPA at the bottom. 

That said, the questions I got about my undergrad courses were always in a small-talk/conversational way ("Did your school really offer a class in XYZ?!" Yes, that's why it's on my transcript  :rolleyes:). So as long as there isn't a huge discrepancy on your undergrad transcripts, I don't think they care too much. They look at undergrad transcripts more to get a better idea of your background and interests I think.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if firms look at your undergrad GPA when assessing summer hires or articling students? Or do they only look at your law school grades?

NY firms look at your undergrad grades, but it's unlikely the person interviewing you has seen them. They can play a role in determining who is invited to interview, but I don't believe they play any role thereafter.

I have no experience in Toronto hiring but was told by associates that they use undergrad grades to decide interview candidates around the margins.

What's the best way to get hands-on experience with clients at U of T? Are there meaningful opportunities outside DLS?

Family law project, Schliefer clinic, PBO/Law help ontario placements (those are strictly intake I believe, still client contact), AIW is what immediately comes to mind

• Like 2

Hi there, 

I am an incoming 1L and in preparation for school was wondering whether you had to ever download software for law school or any law-related extracurricular activities onto your laptop? I'm thinking of buying a macbook product and wanted to know if you did have to download software, if it would be Apple-compatible software or if there wasn't and that would cause any issues - the fact that you have a macbook versus another computer. 

Thanks! 

The only law school-specific software I know of is ExamSoft's Softest, which is the locked-down word processor used to write exams. It is available for both Mac and PCs, but there was an unfortunate incident last year where a MacOS update a week or two before final exams broke Softest for some students. A few had their computers lock up mid-exam. (It sounds like this incident has prompted a review of the school's somewhat out-of-date exam-writing policies.) That said, Softest is temperamental regardless of whether your computer is a Mac or PC, and I wouldn't make a decision based on this factor. If you are more comfortable on a Mac, that's what you should use.

I can't think of any other software compatibility problems for Apple products. You get a free subscription to Microsoft Office with your U of T tuition, and the software is more-or-less identical on Windows and MacOS, these days. I think more than half of the 1L class used a MacBook of some sort last year. 

• Like 3

Actually Mac Word still has the menus that Windows Word lost after 2008. So if you learned how to use Word before the Ribbon then use a mac.

The exam software is garbage and always has been. The faculty has known that there are endless problems with it and has never done anything about it.

Hi! I was wondering if someone could focus on the "corporate vibe" of UT and if UT is a good choice for social justice oriented students.

thanks!