Sign in to follow this  
TheSman

UltraVires 2L hiring report...something missing?

I don't think it's been a major point of discussion but it is worth clarifying that the ultra vires data for 2L hires also includes students who were actually hired by firms in 1L. 

E.g. the 36 students listed at Blakes are a composite of 9 1L hires in 2015 and 27 2L hires in 2016. 

If this is true then it would be very important actually. 

Given that Western had 1 1L recruit and Oz had 18, would that not mean Western actually beat Oz in the 2L recruit? 

Math:

84 total hired:290 total students - Oz = 29%

49 total hired:176 total students - Western = 28% 

84-18 (to account for only 2L recruits) = 66

49-1 (same) = 48

new ratios:

66 2L hired:290 total students - Oz = 22.8%

48 2L hired:176 total students - 27.3 %

Sources:

Total hires: http://ultravires.ca/2015/11/2016-summer-student-hiring/

1L hires: http://ultravires.ca/2016/02/4298/

Edited by TheSman

Well the purpose of the UV findings is to show hiring rates of the OCI process. 1L students are rehired for the second summer and for the most part articling thereafter, similar to 2L recruits no?

This is beyond a bummer for me. I thought it was only law transcripts and a resume. That mixed bag of grades decorating the first year of my UG transcript is my ball and chain. 

I hope the other comments have talked you out of this mindset, but just in case... If it helps, my undergrad marks were atrocious, and not just my first year. I know many people say that, so let me put it in perspective for you: when I posted in accepted threads here with my stats a few years ago, people didn't believe me that I'd gotten in anywhere (my LSAT was good, but not stellar). My 1L marks were above average (though also not stellar) and, despite including my undergrad transcript, I still did extremely well in the OCI process.

• Like 1

If this is true then it would be very important actually. 

Given that Western had 1 1L recruit and Oz had 18, would that not mean Western actually beat Oz in the 2L recruit? 

Math:

84 total hired:290 total students - Oz = 29%

49 total hired:176 total students - Western = 28% 

84-18 (to account for only 2L recruits) = 66

49-1 (same) = 48

new ratios:

66 2L hired:290 total students - Oz = 22.8%

48 2L hired:176 total students - 27.3 %

Sources:

Total hires: http://ultravires.ca/2015/11/2016-summer-student-hiring/

1L hires: http://ultravires.ca/2016/02/4298/

You're on the right track but you'd want to use the 2015 1L hire data, not 2016. However, the numbers are still almost the same.

And yeah, it's an interesting point to consider. It can be seen as a positive for Oz students hoping to land a 1L job, or as a positive for Western students who are going through the 2L recruit.