Sign in to follow this  
canadian5623

Is it bad to only have 3 classes for one semester?

I want to drop one of my classes I am doing badly in, but then I'll only have 3 classes this semester which makes me a part time student. I plan on taking summer school so make up for the credits. Is this frowned upon? How will this affect my chances? thanks.

I had one semester of 3 classes - but I also had a number of years with full course loads, AP credit, and summer classes. In my case, my 3 class/PT semester was my very last semester. 

I don't think anyone can say exactly how it will affect your chances - it depends. But it didn't seem to be an obstacle for me. 

ETA: At this point in the year, would dropping the class mean it would still show up on your transcript? That might be another factor to consider.

Edited by Cabaret

i took 3 courses a semester and 2 in the summer for 3 years straight and got a few acceptances, don't worry too much about it. 

It may vary from school to school, but I also had some semesters of 3-4 courses due to work commitments and it didn't seem to have a negative impact for me. You could always contact the school(s) you're most interested in to confirm.

And as Carbaret mentioned, if withdrawing shows on your transcript it may have more of an impact than simply the number of courses you were enrolled in might -- I have no idea. You should definitely look into that before you drop. I can't recall now how late in the semester you could drop a course without consequences, but I know that at some point you would receive an F in the course if you dropped and I believe it was around the beginning of March at my school -- not sure if that would be the case for you.

I had one semester with 3 courses (though this still classified me as a full time student), one with 2 courses and a semester with one course. I also had multiple semesters of 4 courses instead of 5. I have had multiple acceptances this cycle. I would not worry too much about dropping your course. I wouldn't make it a habit of taking a reduced course load (as many admission website say they do take course load into consideration), but then again if one took a glance at my transcripts you would see I often was not taking a full 5 course semester.

It doesn't seem to matter. My last three semesters (including two semesters of grad school) were 3,3, and 2 courses taken per term. I also had a three-course semester in my third year somewhere.

I got into everywhere I applied. If the school doesn't stipulate that you need a full semester for your GPA to count (U Sask has a requirement like this) then you need not worry about it.

I also took 3 courses and contacted all the schools I applied for (Osgoode, Western, Queen's, and U of T) and the only school that said they preferred candidates who take a full courseload was Western. All the other schools asked for an explanation in my essay or just a quick note to let them know why I was taking a lighter courseload. 

Edited by corruptfate

I also took 3 courses and contacted all the schools I applied for (Osgoode, Western, Queen's, and U of T) and the only school that said they preferred candidates who take a full courseload was Western. All the other schools asked for an explanation in my essay or just a quick note to let them know why I was taking a lighter courseload. 

However, I was still admitted to Western with semesters with reduced course loads. I do think I remember mentioning the reason briefly for me taking a semester with three courses and why I did a year of part time school in my PS. So it just shows that while they may take it into consideration, taking three courses in a semester will not necessarily preclude you from receiving acceptances.  

• Like 1