Sign in to follow this  
Ri77

Correlation between LSAT/GPA and success in law school: Question for current students

I am currently in my fourth year of my undergraduate degree and I am leaning toward attending U of T next year because of the competitive advantage the school seems to offer in the Toronto job market. However, my LSAT and GPA fall pretty much on the median of admitted students (166/3.85) so I'm worried that I'll be lost in a sea of extremely accomplished students next year and be unable to achieve a grade higher than a "P."

I have worked very hard throughout my undergraduate degree and managed to maintain the highest GPA in my major thus far but I'm not sure that hard work will be enough when I'm in a class of students with 4.0s and 170+ on the LSAT who are probably willing to work very hard as well. I don't want to get into corporate law and I'm not sure if I want to get into "big law," so is U of T worth the extra cost it for someone like me?

I know that only a moderate correlation between LSAT/GPA and success in law school has been established but I'm still terrified I'll end up at the bottom of the curve and be left with no job prospects. I know this will only provide me with anecdotal evidence but I really want to hear about the experience of current students and how their LSAT/GPA matches up with their grades in law school. Is hard work enough or is success more heavily dependent on innate intelligence? 

I am currently in my fourth year of my undergraduate degree and I am leaning toward attending U of T next year because of the competitive advantage the school seems to offer in the Toronto job market. However, my LSAT and GPA fall pretty much on the median of admitted students (166/3.85) so I'm worried that I'll be lost in a sea of extremely accomplished students next year and be unable to achieve a grade higher than a "P."

I have worked very hard throughout my undergraduate degree and managed to maintain the highest GPA in my major thus far but I'm not sure that hard work will be enough when I'm in a class of students with 4.0s and 170+ on the LSAT who are probably willing to work very hard as well. I don't want to get into corporate law and I'm not sure if I want to get into "big law," so is U of T worth the extra cost it for someone like me?

I know that only a moderate correlation between LSAT/GPA and success in law school has been established but I'm still terrified I'll end up at the bottom of the curve and be left with no job prospects. I know this will only provide me with anecdotal evidence but I really want to hear about the experience of current students and how their LSAT/GPA matches up with their grades in law school. Is hard work enough or is success more heavily dependent on innate intelligence? 

I am a 1L so I will do my best to help.

I can't really speak to whether UofT is worth it to someone who does not want big law, that will depend on your personal situation. I know a number of students who are not interested in BigLaw who also seem to really like it here.

To answer your question, no having an LSAT and GPA on the median is not going to hold you back. Having a 4.0 170+ does not automatically mean you are going to do well and having a modest (but still great) combo does not mean you won't do well. Keep in mind someone with a 4.0 GPA may have just taken easy classes whereas someone with a 3.8 might have actually taken really tough classes.

From my experience, grades are better correlated with how much time you spend studying and the effort you take to learn from your mistakes. I can honestly tell you I don't really know anyone's GPA/LSAT combo (except for the few people with 3.9+ 174+ combo's) because it really is not that indicative of their success. More significantly, you can tell who is going to do well by who seems to be on top of their readings and who seems to genuinely enjoy the material. Interesting fact, I knew of a person or two who came in with very high stats but are not doing very well because they burnt out or are not connecting with the material. Conversely, there is a student here who came in below medians and is absolutely killing it because they have an amazing work ethic and are really enjoying law school.

I cant' say with certainty whether UofT is the right fit for you (feel free to PM if you have any questions) BUT I can say for sure that the fact you are on the medians should not be any indication of how well you can do here.

P.S while P's are not preferable, they are not the worst things in the world. Ps get Degrees y'all! 

Edited by TheLawStudent

I am a 1L so I will do my best to help.

I can't really speak to whether UofT is worth it to someone who does not want big law, that will depend on your personal situation. I know a number of students who are not interested in BigLaw who also seem to really like it here.

To answer your question, no having an LSAT and GPA on the median is not going to hold you back. Having a 4.0 170+ does not automatically mean you are going to do well and having a modest (but still great) combo does not mean you won't do well. Keep in mind someone with a 4.0 GPA may have just taken easy classes whereas someone with a 3.8 might have actually taken really tough classes.

From my experience, grades are better correlated with how much time you spend studying and the effort you take to learn from your mistakes. I can honestly tell you I don't really know anyone's GPA/LSAT combo (except for the few people with 3.9+ 174+ combo's) because it really is not that indicative of their success. More significantly, you can tell who is going to do well by who seems to be on top of their readings and who seems to genuinely enjoy the material. Interesting fact, I knew of a person or two who came in with very high stats but are not doing very well because they burnt out or are not connecting with the material. Conversely, there is a student here who came in below medians and is absolutely killing it because they have an amazing work ethic and are really enjoying law school.

I cant' say with certainty whether UofT is the right fit for you (feel free to PM if you have any questions) BUT I can say for sure that the fact you are on the medians should not be any indication of how well you can do here.

P.S while P's are not preferable, they are not the worst things in the world. Ps get Degrees y'all! 

Thank you so much for your response! That put my mind at ease a bit. I guess I just find it hard to imagine that people with really high LSAT/GPA combos aren't going to give it their all in law school and experience more success than those who come in with lower stats and also try their best. Knowing that work ethic and being able to connect with the material and enjoy it seems to correlate with success definitely makes me feel better about choosing U of T though. 

I'll give you my perspective as 3L who went in with a pretty mediocre GPA (in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if I have the lowest cGPA of the "regular" admits of my year). Though with the exception of their thoughts on what correlates with law school grades, I agree with pretty well everything TheLawStudent said.

I didn't do all of the readings, I didn't always attend class, and I continue to find that neither of those things is a requirement for doing well in law school. I and many others did great (and continue to do great) on the strength of the upper year summaries we used, and just figuring out how to write the exams. My experience is that how you write papers and exams is far more important than whether you attend every class or stay on top of the readings. Whether getting all Ps is a big deal depends on the job. I have some classmates who are on Bay St after getting mostly or all Ps, they're fewer, but they do exist. If you want something more niche then it is probably (though not necessarily) a different story.

As to your concerns: I think you'd be surprised who does and doesn't "give it their all," and how poorly that correlates with success anyways. Sure, the 4.0/175'ers are a smart bunch, there are no two ways around it, but if they don't know how to write an exam, or they just get distracted/busy/whatever, you'll do better. Welcome to the world of 100% exams. That being said, you don't want corporate or even necessarily big law, so your goals may mandate a much more...effortful approach. Want to clerk at the ONCA or SCC? Then yes, give it your all, all of the time.

UofT is unequivocally the best choice to get into big law (see Exhibit A). Whether it's worth it for you comes down to more factors than are worth listing, particularly without knowing exactly what kind of job you want (or at least think you want- many people change their minds). Finances, city preferences, job markets all play a substantial role. My feeling is that your physical proximity to employers is a huge plus in favour of UofT for almost anyone who wants to work (in any capacity) in Toronto, but it's by no means a dealbreaker.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to chat :)

Edited by NineOne

I'll give you my perspective as 3L who went in with a pretty mediocre GPA (in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if I have the lowest cGPA of the "regular" admits of my year). Though with the exception of their thoughts on what correlates with law school grades, I agree with pretty well everything TheLawStudent said.

I didn't do all of the readings, I didn't always attend class, and I continue to find that neither of those things is a requirement for doing well in law school. I and many others did great (and continue to do great) on the strength of the upper year summaries we used, and just figuring out how to write the exams. My experience is that how you write papers and exams is far more important than whether you attend every class or stay on top of the readings. Whether getting all Ps is a big deal depends on the job. I have some classmates who are on Bay St after getting mostly or all Ps, they're fewer, but they do exist. If you want something more niche then it is probably (though not necessarily) a different story.

As to your concerns: I think you'd be surprised who does and doesn't "give it their all," and how poorly that correlates with success anyways. Sure, the 4.0/175'ers are a smart bunch, there are no two ways around it, but if they don't know how to write an exam, or they just get distracted/busy/whatever, you'll do better. Welcome to the world of 100% exams. That being said, you don't want corporate or even necessarily big law, so your goals may mandate a much more...effortful approach. Want to clerk at the ONCA or SCC? Then yes, give it your all, all of the time.

UofT is unequivocally the best choice to get into big law (see Exhibit A). Whether it's worth it for you comes down to more factors than are worth listing, particularly without knowing exactly what kind of job you want (or at least think you want- many people change their minds). Finances, city preferences, job markets all play a substantial role. My feeling is that your physical proximity to employers is a huge plus in favour of UofT for almost anyone who wants to work (in any capacity) in Toronto, but it's by no means a dealbreaker.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to chat :)

Thank you for your response! This really helped me put everything in perspective.

In my experience, it is more likely that a student coming in without top academic stats may go on to do very well, than it is for a student coming in with top academic stats not doing well. I think the former is far more often the outlier.

• Like 1

I remember reading an Indiana University School of Law's study from a while back, on whether cGPA (also referred to as uGPA in the study), LSAT, law school GPA or a combination of them would best predict a JD student's bar exam success.

It goes without saying the study is probably more focused on the American undergraduate schools and American bar exams, but I think the findings are important:

- law school GPA is most strongly related to bar passage success.

- LSAT a weaker relation. (somewhat noisy, and only does so-so for first-timers taking the bar)

- cGPA has no relation.

Edit: found it again - http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2013/09/law-school-gpa-.html

Edited by derek328
  • Like 1

FWIW, a good friend of mine entered McGill law with a 154 and graduated in the top 25%, ending up in a large firm in Calgary.

• Like 1