twinsfindme

Ask a 1L!

Starting off the year as a 1L. I would be happy to add to this forum. Message me for questions:)

I really don't want to troll but how exactly would you help? Haha you've been here for a week. There is a designated forum for admissions advice. I just want to warn against uninformed advice.

I really don't want to troll but how exactly would you help? Haha you've been here for a week. There is a designated forum for admissions advice. I just want to warn against uninformed advice.

Well this thread probably won't get much action now until the spring when people are making decisions, at which point lshopeful will be an expert. Somebody going away for school for the first time might want to talk to a new student about what the transition was like. I really don't see the harm that you're worried about. 

• Like 4

Well this thread probably won't get much action now until the spring when people are making decisions, at which point lshopeful will be an expert. Somebody going away for school for the first time might want to talk to a new student about what the transition was like. I really don't see the harm that you're worried about.

The issue is that there hasn't been a transition yet. We're on week 1. You're mid transition so even if that is questionable. If it was intended for the spring, then post after the new accepted threads.

Edit: I don't question the person's motive, it's great to help people. The help just isn't that valuable yet imho.

Edited by grishamlaw

Never hurts to find out why someone chose Queen's over other schools. Even in their first week they'll at least be able to offer that info.

• Like 4

The issue is that there hasn't been a transition yet. We're on week 1. You're mid transition so even if that is questionable. If it was intended for the spring, then post after the new accepted threads.

Edit: I don't question the person's motive, it's great to help people. The help just isn't that valuable yet imho.

Strictly speaking this thread is about asking a 1L, but from what I can see it's mostly 2Ls and 3Ls commenting. So there's no point putting boundaries on what this thread ought to be about. As I see it, it's just a general place to ask any question about QL and anyone can answer it. And if they're wildly off the mark or misinformed, then I'm sure no one here will hesitate to correct them.

• Like 1

I answer questions here and the last time I set foot in the MacDonald Hall was as a 5 year alumni. 

• Like 2

I have a question regarding the grading scheme at Queen's; is it based on a bell-curve? against your core or incoming class?

I have a question regarding the grading scheme at Queen's; is it based on a bell-curve? against your core or incoming class?

QL grades on a curve, as against the current class. Lectures and seminars are graded differently, but there are limits on how many students are permitted to score outside the B range (I believe it's 25% for lectures, but I wouldn't swear to it).

• Like 2

Just to clarify the post from above. You are only curved against the people in your course. So for first year courses you are compared to ~50 other people, not 200. 

The grading policy is pretty simple. The median for a lecture course will be a B and for a seminar course it will be a B+, Additionally, no more than 20% of the class can get an A- or above and no more than 20% of the class can get a C+ or below. 

Also keep in mind that the bell curve is a normal distribution so it rarely affects marks too much.

• Like 1

Is it possible to get a solo apartment in the student ghetto for under $1000/month?

Yes, but it's harder if you're from out of town because apartments go quickly. If you're attending law school, however, you may wish to live ghetto adjacent instead.

Yes, but it's harder if you're from out of town because apartments go quickly. If you're attending law school, however, you may wish to live ghetto adjacent instead.

Thanks. Around when do people start getting apartments? 

Is it possible to get a solo apartment in the student ghetto for under $1000/month?

Depends on your standards.

https://princesstowers.ca/~prince57/registration/all_unit_style/ISxAYGAKYAo=

I lived there a few years back, and paid ~$850/month for a 1-bedroom. Not exactly the nicest place, but better than paint peeling off the walls / bugs, management good, and an easy walk to the law school.

• Like 1

You can start whenever really but most place won't be advertised until late Spring/into summer.

I agree with barelylegal that in your price range, you won't be scoring anything fancy. Personally, I would consider finding a roommate going into law to split a decent place downtown but out of the ghetto.

Last year I lived in an area not far from campus but pretty far from downtown. I paid $775 inclusive for a 1 bedroom unit in the basement of a house. This year I am on the main floor of a house in a 1 bedroom unit just north of the student ghetto and pay $850/mo inclusive. Neither of my places were luxurious but they also weren't dumpy.

As said above, it can be a little tougher if you're not in town because things can move quickly. I got my place for 1L on April 30. 

I also know people that showed up the last week of August and started looking for places. It really depends on your personality and the kind of apartment that you're looking for! 

I highly recommend trying to find a roommate on the class FB group and avoiding the ghetto. I can't recall exactly when I got my place but I do remember it being relatively late and us viewing some terrible places in the ghetto.

Has anyone (who is interested in pursuing business law) turned down Osgoode for Queen's? What are your reasons? I ask this because I was speaking with a lot of admitted students at the open house yesterday and the majority of them were deciding between the two schools. 

Thanks!

Current Queen's student here. Can't speak to the quality of Osgoode's business law courses/faculty, but Queen's is making a huge push to make their program better. We recently hired some great new corporate law professors and have added some new courses.

When it comes down to it, the percentages of the class size hired in the 2L recruit are quite close: http://ultravires.ca/2016/11/recruitment-special-feature-bay-street-hiring-like-way/

Osgoode edges Queen's by only 5 percent; however, I can't speak to how many students from each school took part in the process (thus this number may be an inaccurate representation of success rate).

I'd say think about other factors before this. If you get good grades at either school, you'll get interviews during the recruit.

• Like 1

Been accepted into Queens and Western, trying to develop pros/cons list for both. Graduating from UWaterloo, I've lived off campus in Waterloo and loved it. Things I care about when considering Queens: School atmosphere, helpfulness of profs/staff, living arrangements (student housing, transportation), and city life

With that in mind, what would be the 5 things you like best about Queens Law, and the 5 things you like least?