twinsfindme

Ask a 1L!

46 minutes ago, qwerty123456789 said:

Hi, I was wondering what the dress code is for class, is it similar to undergrad where people are in sweats and hoodies or do people dress nicer?

Most people are dressed extremely casually.

Hi,

I was wondering how the 1L schedule is like? Are there schedules where people can get Monday or Friday off? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bb22 said:

Hi,

I was wondering how the 1L schedule is like? Are there schedules where people can get Monday or Friday off? 

Unlikely to get a day off. You have 6 classes, most of which meet twice a week. On any given day you can end up with 1-3 class blocks. They do try to have all classes done by 1 pm on Friday, but they also use the 1-2:30 time slot on Fridays to run a lot of Career Development Office events. But you can rely on being done earlier on Friday’s. 
It’s super poorly laid out, but here’s a link to the timetables for this past year. The yellow blocks are 1L classes. Note that the timetable shows all sections (so all 4 crim sections, for example). https://law.queensu.ca/programs/jd/academic-program/course-information/timetable

• Like 1

About the BISC summer program - what is the application for that like? Is it competitive? I'm really interested in it and would love to know the chances of me ever being accepted!

1 hour ago, 123law321 said:

About the BISC summer program - what is the application for that like? Is it competitive? I'm really interested in it and would love to know the chances of me ever being accepted!

It was competitive enough that not everyone got to go back when I was there (which admittedly was 13 years ago now).  I can only imagine it has remained the same.  Back then I think the best chance was to get your application in as soon as possible.  More recent Queen's people can advise if they have changed the process from what was first come first served. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 123law321 said:

When I went ~8 years ago, everyone from Queen's who wanted to go was able to, except I think one or two people who tried to register for it late. But I understand it isn't necessarily like that every year, and would also suggest you rely on any more recent advice on the program's popularity.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 10:24 AM, 123law321 said:

I did not attend or apply to BISC but based on how much they advertise now- I seem to remember getting emails for weeks that contained the message that they ‘still accept applications’ and the ‘talk to them about funding’, I would say most people are able to get in. I have a feeling some people see the costs associated and find them inaccessible. The school does offer some money to offset the cost, though.

That said this summer I think they filled quickly when they cut costs and moved to online, but that’s a COVID thing, I think, as people think they may as well take classes if they can’t work. 

• Like 1

In non COVID years now, anyone who applies gets in!

• Like 1