twinsfindme

Ask a 1L!

46 minutes ago, qwerty123456789 said:

Hi, I was wondering what the dress code is for class, is it similar to undergrad where people are in sweats and hoodies or do people dress nicer?

Most people are dressed extremely casually.

Hi,

I was wondering how the 1L schedule is like? Are there schedules where people can get Monday or Friday off? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bb22 said:

Hi,

I was wondering how the 1L schedule is like? Are there schedules where people can get Monday or Friday off? 

Unlikely to get a day off. You have 6 classes, most of which meet twice a week. On any given day you can end up with 1-3 class blocks. They do try to have all classes done by 1 pm on Friday, but they also use the 1-2:30 time slot on Fridays to run a lot of Career Development Office events. But you can rely on being done earlier on Friday’s. 
It’s super poorly laid out, but here’s a link to the timetables for this past year. The yellow blocks are 1L classes. Note that the timetable shows all sections (so all 4 crim sections, for example). https://law.queensu.ca/programs/jd/academic-program/course-information/timetable

• Like 1

About the BISC summer program - what is the application for that like? Is it competitive? I'm really interested in it and would love to know the chances of me ever being accepted!

1 hour ago, 123law321 said:

About the BISC summer program - what is the application for that like? Is it competitive? I'm really interested in it and would love to know the chances of me ever being accepted!

It was competitive enough that not everyone got to go back when I was there (which admittedly was 13 years ago now).  I can only imagine it has remained the same.  Back then I think the best chance was to get your application in as soon as possible.  More recent Queen's people can advise if they have changed the process from what was first come first served. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 123law321 said:

When I went ~8 years ago, everyone from Queen's who wanted to go was able to, except I think one or two people who tried to register for it late. But I understand it isn't necessarily like that every year, and would also suggest you rely on any more recent advice on the program's popularity.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 10:24 AM, 123law321 said:

I did not attend or apply to BISC but based on how much they advertise now- I seem to remember getting emails for weeks that contained the message that they ‘still accept applications’ and the ‘talk to them about funding’, I would say most people are able to get in. I have a feeling some people see the costs associated and find them inaccessible. The school does offer some money to offset the cost, though.

That said this summer I think they filled quickly when they cut costs and moved to online, but that’s a COVID thing, I think, as people think they may as well take classes if they can’t work. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

I am a 1L and would be happy to answer some questions. I know it is relatively early in the year but I am on reading week and would be happy to pay it forward. I will be doing work throughout the day, but will do my best to get to any questions at night and throughout the week.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, souflee said:

Hi everyone.

I am a 1L and would be happy to answer some questions. I know it is relatively early in the year but I am on reading week and would be happy to pay it forward. I will be doing work throughout the day, but will do my best to get to any questions at night and throughout the week.

Hi! Thanks so much for doing this! I have a few questions. First of all everyone is saying that Queens is becoming more and more corporate focused. In your opinion do you think this would be a disadvantage for someone who probably isn't super interested in corporate?? Also I know that Queens is pretty well known for having a big sense of community/school spirit, has this been completely ruined because of covid or do you think that moving to Kingston would make it possible to make friends (assuming school is online next year as well)?

55 minutes ago, YerAWizardHarry said:

Hi! Thanks so much for doing this! I have a few questions. First of all everyone is saying that Queens is becoming more and more corporate focused. In your opinion do you think this would be a disadvantage for someone who probably isn't super interested in corporate?? Also I know that Queens is pretty well known for having a big sense of community/school spirit, has this been completely ruined because of covid or do you think that moving to Kingston would make it possible to make friends (assuming school is online next year as well)?

I really do not think the corporate focus will disadvantage you regardless of what type of law you choose to practice. Obviously I do not have a lot of experience with the school yet, but from what I can tell, they seem to be very supportive regardless of what you want to do with your law degree. The student clubs the school has also make this possible, as they often have events that can expose you to all different areas of the law. I think the idea that there is a corporate focus comes from the fact that the big firms from Toronto are the ones with the most resources, therefore, they are the ones who are sponsoring events and have their names on classrooms. Sorry if this was unclear, but the point I was trying to get across is although I can definitely see why people say there is a 'corporate' focus, the school has ample resources to support whatever career path you are interested in. 

The community aspect is interesting this year. The administrators loved to push it during orientation week as they are fully aware of this reputation. From what I can tell, it is true, but, as you alluded to COVID is making it extremely difficult to form connections. I am lucky enough to have most of my classes in person, so I have made friends that way. However, during the first two weeks, when classes were all online, I did not make any new friends. The biggest problem is that the only 1Ls you are exposed to are the 40 kids in your section, there is zero interaction with any other sections. Now that extracurriculars are getting going this has started to change, but they are all online, so it is hard to make friends that way. The upper years are doing their best to help also. My orientation leaders have been very friendly, along with my tutor. The LSS also set up a separate buddy program to connect 1Ls with upper years. Basically, the people I have been exposed to, my section and a limited amount of upper years, have all been extremely helpful and are trying to foster a sense of community, but there is definitely a feeling that we are all missing out, especially considering we have no interaction with 80% of 1Ls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, souflee said:

I really do not think the corporate focus will disadvantage you regardless of what type of law you choose to practice. Obviously I do not have a lot of experience with the school yet, but from what I can tell, they seem to be very supportive regardless of what you want to do with your law degree. The student clubs the school has also make this possible, as they often have events that can expose you to all different areas of the law. I think the idea that there is a corporate focus comes from the fact that the big firms from Toronto are the ones with the most resources, therefore, they are the ones who are sponsoring events and have their names on classrooms. Sorry if this was unclear, but the point I was trying to get across is although I can definitely see why people say there is a 'corporate' focus, the school has ample resources to support whatever career path you are interested in. 

The community aspect is interesting this year. The administrators loved to push it during orientation week as they are fully aware of this reputation. From what I can tell, it is true, but, as you alluded to COVID is making it extremely difficult to form connections. I am lucky enough to have most of my classes in person, so I have made friends that way. However, during the first two weeks, when classes were all online, I did not make any new friends. The biggest problem is that the only 1Ls you are exposed to are the 40 kids in your section, there is zero interaction with any other sections. Now that extracurriculars are getting going this has started to change, but they are all online, so it is hard to make friends that way. The upper years are doing their best to help also. My orientation leaders have been very friendly, along with my tutor. The LSS also set up a separate buddy program to connect 1Ls with upper years. Basically, the people I have been exposed to, my section and a limited amount of upper years, have all been extremely helpful and are trying to foster a sense of community, but there is definitely a feeling that we are all missing out, especially considering we have no interaction with 80% of 1Ls.

This was super helpful thank you so much!!

2 hours ago, souflee said:

Hi could you explain a little more about how classes are working at Queens in the covid era? Maybe this has been answered somewhere else but I was wondering what the format is (how far apart do you sit in classes/masks/how many hours of class you have etc.) and how different from "regular" L1 you think your experience has been. Also if you've been given info regarding second semester and if that'll be different or the same from how your fall semester has been so far. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, EnviroLaw22 said:

Hi could you explain a little more about how classes are working at Queens in the covid era? Maybe this has been answered somewhere else but I was wondering what the format is (how far apart do you sit in classes/masks/how many hours of class you have etc.) and how different from "regular" L1 you think your experience has been. Also if you've been given info regarding second semester and if that'll be different or the same from how your fall semester has been so far. Thank you! 

Yes, no problem.

So there are 5 sections of about 40 students each, one of them is completely remote (on zoom) and you had to request to be in that section prior to the year beginning. The remaining 4 sections have some online and some in person, depending on the professor's decision, with the exception of Intro to Legal Skills (ILS), which everyone is in together and is fully online. My section, in addition to ILS, has 1.5 classes online, the 0.5 is my contracts lecture. The way they are doing contracts this year is kind of weird. Everyone has their contracts tutorial with their professor assigned to their section, but the professor lecturing rotates every 5 weeks, and all the sections have the lecture together. The first 5 weeks the lectures were asynchronous, now they are live on zoom, it may (likely will) change when we switch professors again in a couple weeks. Personally, I am not a fan, but that is just my opinion.

In class, everyone wears masks and we are in big lecture halls around the main campus, with the exception of my contracts tutorial, which is in the law building. Also, the chairs we are allowed to sit in are clearly marked. A typical week is 15 hours of classes. When we have ILS lectures and/or tutorials, which is only once a month approximately, it adds an extra 1.5 or 3 hours. I think they are doing a decent job with the online classes but there is no question the learning experience in person is much better. It makes a huge difference when you can watch the professors move around/body language. It is also much easier to have a discussion and interject when in person. I also should add that the professors do not wear mask when they teach. Honestly, I am not sure how they got away with this, but it makes for a much better learning experience. 

As far as I am aware, the winter semester will be the same for 1Ls. I expect to have the same classes in person and online.

Edit: I do not really know how different it is than the normal 1L experience, but everyone keeps telling me they feel bad for my year, so I imagine it is a lot different. It is definitely a lot harder to meet people.

Edited by souflee
Forgot info

On 11/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, souflee said:

Yes, no problem.

So there are 5 sections of about 40 students each, one of them is completely remote (on zoom) and you had to request to be in that section prior to the year beginning. The remaining 4 sections have some online and some in person, depending on the professor's decision, with the exception of Intro to Legal Skills (ILS), which everyone is in together and is fully online. My section, in addition to ILS, has 1.5 classes online, the 0.5 is my contracts lecture. The way they are doing contracts this year is kind of weird. Everyone has their contracts tutorial with their professor assigned to their section, but the professor lecturing rotates every 5 weeks, and all the sections have the lecture together. The first 5 weeks the lectures were asynchronous, now they are live on zoom, it may (likely will) change when we switch professors again in a couple weeks. Personally, I am not a fan, but that is just my opinion.

In class, everyone wears masks and we are in big lecture halls around the main campus, with the exception of my contracts tutorial, which is in the law building. Also, the chairs we are allowed to sit in are clearly marked. A typical week is 15 hours of classes. When we have ILS lectures and/or tutorials, which is only once a month approximately, it adds an extra 1.5 or 3 hours. I think they are doing a decent job with the online classes but there is no question the learning experience in person is much better. It makes a huge difference when you can watch the professors move around/body language. It is also much easier to have a discussion and interject when in person. I also should add that the professors do not wear mask when they teach. Honestly, I am not sure how they got away with this, but it makes for a much better learning experience. 

As far as I am aware, the winter semester will be the same for 1Ls. I expect to have the same classes in person and online.

Edit: I do not really know how different it is than the normal 1L experience, but everyone keeps telling me they feel bad for my year, so I imagine it is a lot different. It is definitely a lot harder to meet people.

Good summary! Which profs do you have? Also, the Contracts format is indeed terrible (especially with our current Zoom prof lol...). I was surprised as well that profs didn’t have to wear masks, although I guess it makes sense given the distance and that they’re constantly talking.